Two White Rabbits by Jairo Buitrago

Two White Rabbits

by Jairo Buitrago

This was the first picture book I've read that explicitly described the experiences of a young child crossing the border with parents. This is also the first picture book I've read that may help children process this experience, with very kid-friendly metaphors. Additionally it's a beautifully written and drawn story that I think can help other children in empathizing with friends or classmates whose families have immigrated. ( )
  GabbyF | Jul 2, 2017 |
A wonderful story that tells the story of migrant people, and their journey to get to the U.S. border. I would definitely read this book to children as many of them including myself can identify with this book. And the struggles these families go through in search for better opportunities.
  EstefaniaL | Jun 11, 2017 |
The main character in this book is an imaginative little girl who explains the world she sees as she and her father cross the Mexico-America border. It shows that there is a lot of story behind only a few simple utterances. It would be useful for exploring the differences in how we see the world, but also the ways we are the same.
  williamlong33 | May 14, 2017 |
This was a simple book. I suppose it's target audience would be for younger children and it is showing what it looks like to migrate as an immigrant child. The characters are realistic enough but the story doesn't really even scrape the surface on them. All we know is that they are travelling to another country and are most likely immigrants. The little girl likes to count and sees a lot of people on her journey, and I suppose that is significant to how many people are also travelling towards new dreams and a new life. However, the other characters that they meet do not get really introduced, either. The most information the story gives on the little boy the girl meets is that "I don't think he can count very well." I think the point of this story is to be simple and show little kids what it is like to be an immigrant, but I think there could be more detail still. Another reason I didn't really like this book too much was the plot. Yes, they were traveling and I'm sure had a destination, but as the girl said "'Where are we going?" I ask sometimes, but no one answers." That goes completely over little kids' heads, though they can probably relate. It doesn't further the plot along. And at the end when the little boy gives the girl the two rabbits in a box, I'm not sure what they are there for. They don't add anything in the eyes of a child, especially since she lets them out of the box at the end. I suppose it was to symbolize freedom, but again, not a concept that children will by any means grasp. The moral of this story was honestly not too clear, but my best guess would be that you never know where someone has come from and what they've gone through. ( )
  LauraGraziano | Apr 17, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book very much.There were 3 main reasons why I liked this book. First I liked the characters through out the book. The little girl is the narrator of the story, and she very believable. She is a little girl and you can see in the book she is oblivious to what is happening around her for the most part. She spends her time counting things around her, but doesn't exactly realize why they are going the places they are going and seeing certain things. Another thing I really enjoyed in this story was the illustrations. The father did not talk through out the entire book but through the illustrations of him, he told a completely different story. His facial expressions and actions in the pictures showed what was really going on even though the little girl didn't realize. I enjoyed this a lot because I love how the pictures can show a different story. If the reader was to just look at the text, they would miss what the story is really about. The last thing that I enjoyed about this book was the writing style/language. I liked how most of the book was up to interpretation to the reader and not all information was given. Since the narrator was a child, the reader never knows where they are going and why. You can tell by the text when the girl says "Where are we going? I ask sometimes, but no one answers." This to me seemed like the father didnt know where they were going, they just had to leave the old situation they were in. I like this because it allows the reader to be imaginative to a certain extent. It keeps the reader engaged because of the way the text is styled. ( )
  hpetti1 | Apr 17, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,086,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible