Seven Orange Pumpkins board book by Stephen…

Seven Orange Pumpkins board book

by Stephen Savage

132723,089NoneNone

using counting, introduces different aspects of the halloween holiday
6 books
  TUCC | Jan 19, 2017 |
I realized after I looked at this that I had never read the original picture book. I usually try to get the original book to compare how it works as a picture book and as a board book, but Stephen Savage's illustration style seems so clearly suited to a board book setting that I didn't bother this time around.

The story begins with seven pumpkins on a spooky night. One by one they disappear, turning into various Halloween icons or being carried off. An owl swoops off with a large black outline clutched in his claws, pirate skeletons carry off their pumpkin loot in a bag, a witch tosses one into a pot. The last gets turned into a glowing jack-o-lantern to wish readers a happy Halloween.

Savage's clear, modern design makes this a fun I spy exercise as readers look for the glowing eyes and large black shape of the pumpkins camouflaged amongst the silhouettes. Bright bursts of color, purple, orange, green, fill the backgrounds making the bold black illustrations stand out. The book is a sturdy, 7x7 square.

But is it too scary? Scary is....awfully subjective. In the space of less than an hour I had a parent ask for scary stories for their five year old, who had watched Poltergeist, and another parent reject the exact same stories for their nine year old as "too scary." Which one was right? Well, both. Every kid has a different threshold for scary and the caregiver is generally the best person to know what's right for their child. So, if your toddler will be scared by some classic Halloween iconography, or Halloween isn't a big deal for your family, this isn't the book for you. If you go all out for Halloween and your toddler loves dancing skeletons, swooping owls, and a glowing jack-o-lantern popping out at the end, this is perfect for you.

Verdict: A great addition to your Halloween collection, but I'd break my rule for once and not put this in with the general board books as parents will want to know they're getting a very definite Halloween counting book.

ISBN: 9780803741386; Board book edition published 2015 by Dial/Penguin; Review copy provided by the publisher; Donated to the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Oct 11, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0803741383, Board book)

A rhyming Halloween counting board book sure to delight the youngest trick-or-treaters

Now in a board book edition for the youngest reader, join a sneaky spider, a wily witch, a silly scarecrow, and other favorite spooky creatures as seven orange pumpkins disappear in a countdown to a Halloween surprise. Bright, bold, and fun, Seven Orange Pumpkins is a perfect read-aloud and is sure to capture the imagination of the littlest trick-or-treaters.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:55:42 -0400)

In this Halloween counting book, young readers are invited to join a group of spooky creatures as seven orange pumpkins disappear in a countdown that leads to a Halloween surprise.

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,383,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible