Fighting Dirty by Lori Foster

Fighting Dirty

by Lori Foster

Series: Ultimate (4)

Really good book, my favorite in the series. Armie has been a big part of the previous books and I have been waiting anxiously for his story. It was definitely worth the wait. Armie, Cannon Colter and Merissa Colter have all been friends since high school. Armie had a horrible home life, but got experience with a good family through his best buddy Cannon. Merissa has been in love with Armie ever since. Armie has been interested in her too, but as his best friend's little sister, she's off limits. He also feels that she's way too good for him.

I loved the interactions between Armie and Merissa. He is determined to keep things in the "friend zone" and she has become equally determined to shake him out of it. Armie has been known for his way with the women, mostly one night stands, and has a pretty wild reputation. It seems that the more he fights his feelings for Merissa, the more he needs the distraction. Merissa does her best to tempt him, but lately has been getting a little discouraged. When Armie helps foil a bank robbery at the bank where Merissa is a manager, his protective instincts go into overdrive. Because he is so intent on hiding his feelings for her, he's shocked when Cannon tasks him with helping her through her reactions, since Merissa doesn't want Cannon hovering. I loved the way she went to him for comfort that evening, and Armie's struggle to do what was right. There's a great scene the next morning involving a magic marker, a workout at the gym, and what happens in the shower. It had me laughing out loud as I read it.

Armie has been content to keep his fight bouts local, but had been getting pressure from Cannon and others to sign on with SBC. He finally agrees, but then starts to worry. He has some trouble in the past that he's afraid is going to get resurrected because of his growing popularity. Much of what he has experienced in the past has made him who he is today. I loved seeing how good he was with the kids at the rec center, and the interest that he took in Bray. He truly believes that his past makes him completely unworthy of Merissa.

Merissa has always been part of the group of fighters at the rec center. She is comfortable with them and they are all great friends. I've enjoyed seeing her friendships with the women who have claimed the other fighters. There's a hysterical scene where the ladies go shopping at a particular store and find their men waiting for them when they come out.

I loved the development of their relationship. When Armie finally gives in to Merissa's pursuit, he's stunned by the strength of their connection. He's also worried about what her reaction will be to the trouble in his past. I was very happy with his decision to tell her, and loved his reaction to her response. I was a bit disappointed by his desire to keep their relationship secret, though he did have his reasons. It was also fun to see all his worry about Cannon's reaction and what that reaction really was. Merissa was so happy when they finally got together that I couldn't help but smile for her. Because she's already familiar with the fight world, she is able to fit easily into his life. She wasn't happy about keeping their relationship quiet, but was hopeful that he would relent soon. She is very independent, so it was hard for her to let him protect her and worry about her. Armie becomes convinced that she's in danger because of him and tries to pull away to protect her. Merissa has an unusual reaction and I liked seeing how they dealt with it. When it's all over, their relationship is stronger. I loved their big moments at the end, and how it was Merissa with the last word.

There was a suspenseful edge to the book as there were two negative things going on. With Armie's increased visibility, the trouble in his past is coming out, and he has to find a way to deal with it. Merissa is also having problems with an ex-boyfriend who isn't happy that he's been cut loose. He goes all stalkerish, going overboard and dangerous in his attempts to get her back. I liked how everyone comes together to help protect her. When his attempts get out of control, it's Armie and company who save her in an intense and satisfying scene.

As always, there is plenty of involvement of characters from previous books. Cannon, Denver and Stack all had their parts to play. The relationship among all the guys is always fun to watch, with their teasing and testing, but they are always there for each other when needed. There was also involvement of Detectives Baredon and Riske, and Rowdy from the previous series. Earlier characters from SBC books were part of Armie's new team. There was also the introduction and tease for the next series of books, starring Leese and his friends. Can't wait! ( )
  scoutmomskf | Sep 4, 2016 |

I am so very excited to be reviewing another of Lori Fosters books! She is one of those author's that could write anything and manage to keep it fresh and gripping. But I will admit I have been waiting for Armie and Merissa book for a while now, so I am thrilled that it is finally here!
Falling in love should be a wonderful experience right?! Well it's not that way for Armie Jacobson. Not only does Armie feel that he is not good enough for her, but the women in question is his best friends little sister! That's right Merissa Colter! But that doesn't stop moments of weakness, and after their kiss in Rowdy’s dark hallway a few months ago, Armie has been avoiding Merissa that she carries the plague. That is until he receives a summons Cannon, that he and Yvette have an important announcement. Armie plans to ignore his feelings and Merissa, but when she calls him on it he finally realizes what he has done…until things get worse and he doesn't see Rissy at all. So he visits her at the bank, just in time to save her from a bank robbery. Now Rissy is in danger and Armie is determined to protect her, until his past comes back to haunt him… Will Armie allow his past to destroy his future? Or will he fight for what he wants.

I want to throw a little disclaimer in here; even though I have focused on Armie in my review, this book (like all of Lori Foster's books) are from multiple characters point of views. I just thought I would review from Armie's to keep from giving away spoilers.

Anyway, enough of that! I want to say that this book was well worth waiting for! The plot and the characters kept me gripped all the way through and it story has so many surprises in it, that there was no way I could ever guess what was happening next! I simply LOVED Armie's character, his rough and tumble persona, with his heart of gold underneath completely melted my heart. I loved Merissa feistiness and her determination! But I also loved that fact that she could be soft at the same time, I found her character truly inspiring. Lees even was my other favorite character, with his insecurities and his cockiness but with his heart of gold! I loved him and sincerely hope that he gets his own book in the future. Where is comes to the writing, as normal Ms. Foster blows it out of the water, I don't think I have ever met a book of hers that I didn't love!

I give Fighting Dirty a very well-deserved 5 stars! ( )
  Cara_Ross | Aug 16, 2016 |
DESCRIPTION, NOT REVIEW: He's the hottest MMA fighter in the game, but one woman is ready to try out a few steamy moves of her own in an unforgettable new novel from New York Times bestselling author Lori Foster

With the life he's led and the muscles he's gained, Armie Jacobson isn't afraid of anything. Except maybe Merissa Colter's effect on him. It's not just that she's his best friend's little sister. Fact is, she deserves better. Women pursue him for one night of pleasure, and that's all he wants to offer. Until rescuing Merissa from a robbery leads to the most erotic encounter of his life.

Good girl meets bad boy. It's a story that rarely ends well. But Merissa is taking matters into her own hands. No matter how he views himself, the Armie she knows is brave, honorable and completely loyal. And as past demons and present-day danger collide, they're both about to learn what's truly worth fighting for… ( )
  treehousereader | Apr 24, 2016 |
I have been waiting to read Armie's story for what feels like forever. Armie was such a great character in the previous books of the series that all I really wanted was to get to read about his story from his point of view. While I did like this book I do felt like the wait and anticipation for this book caused my expectations to skyrocket to a point that it would be highly unlikely that they would be met. I'm sorry but this book should have definitely come earlier in this series considering how formulaic this series was towards the end.

Armie had such a sparkle and just downright dirty side to him throughout this series and in this one there were definitely some great Armie moments. I still feel as though he wasn't exactly the Armie I grew to love in the previous books. What this book did ready well was highlight Armie's past. You really start to understand why Armie is the way he is.

Rissy fell a bit flat for me. I felt like Armie really drove this story and that Rissy just kind of faded into the background at times. She did have her strong, stubborn moments but I had hoped for more spark. There was definitely some great chemistry between Rissy and Armie some great steamy scenes.

I did enjoy this book, don't get me wrong, but I spent so much time wondering what it would be that this fell short of what I imagined it could have been. I still love Armie but I think I'll be taking a break from Lori Foster books for a little while. ( )
  dpappas | Feb 29, 2016 |
Okay, so everyone has been waiting patiently for this book because, you know, it's Armie and Marissa's. I was just as eagerly waiting it and happened to receive an ARC. So, of course I hopped in bed with my drink and snacks and dove right in. But, to my great chagrin, I forgot the tissues. Be warned that there are a few places you'll need them.

I love Armie. He's so openly arrogant about his women and fighting, but not in a way that you want to smack him. And for him to pining for Marissa for so long and having the control it takes to deny it is simply amazing. Especially since Marissa so openly wants him too. I love that they finally get their crap together and stop fighting each other. There was only one part of the book that I absolutely hated ***SPOILER***when they're in the gym and ol' girl steps up wanting to get with Armie and he tells her no and introduced her to Leese and whispers in his ear something about some kinky sex thing they did. Right. In. Front. Of. Marissa. Then, Marissa's supposed friend, Leese, say something out loud, like "You did that" Armie smiles and tells him to have fun. I'm sorry, if I was Marissa I would've been highly insulted. Really, Armie? You're bragging about doing sexual things with another woman in front of your girlfriend. That's very disappointing. ***END SPOILER*** If it wasn't for that I'd give this book five stars.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. ( )
  amdrane2 | Feb 22, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373789173, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 23 Jul 2015 18:30:31 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,054,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible