This Census-Taker by China Miéville

This Census-Taker (edition 2016)

by China Miéville (Author)

Member:lkmiller
Title:This Census-Taker
Authors:China Miéville (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2016), 131 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:fiction, fantasy, ebook, library, read, 2017, checked

This Census-Taker by China Miéville

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (Euryale)
    Euryale: Another short novel with a similar atmosphere (although a very different structure and voice)

Eerie and unsettling - and yes, a little hard to follow. Or rather: this is a compelling story about a boy trapped alone in his home in the hills outside of town, with his father who may have murdered his mother, told years later, possibly by more than one author, in a wider setting that is probably not our world as it is but which is not at all explained. I liked it, but I'm not sure I got it. This will probably reward re-reading. ( )
  jen.e.moore | May 22, 2017 |
Rather confusing, chiefly because we're following the wrong character. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | May 20, 2017 |
I was looking forward to reading this novella, but found it frustratingly underwhelming. Mieville's writing chops are on display for all to see, with shifting tesnse, unreliable narator, brutal honesty and tricksy ambiguity.

A boy pounds down the hillside into the town. He is fleeing something horrfic. Or is he? His father, and his mother. Who has done what to whom? In town, the authorites are solicitous. But they can do nothing. Only the lost and the destituter can assist, and with litle power or agency.

So it goes... ( )
  orkydd | Feb 2, 2017 |
Very dark and very good. Tight, focussed and hints at the wider stories of which this is a slice. Recommended. ( )
  deeronthecurve | Jan 19, 2017 |
Don't really know what to say, or make of this book!? For some odd reason, I really liked it, even though I didn't get it at all! Unfortunately, it's part of my book club, so I have to re-read it if I'm going to be able to contribute to the discussion! Oh well, luckily I enjoyed it and it's a short read. ( )
  Hessius | Dec 4, 2016 |
"Like all these long low squat houses, it had been built not for but against. They were built against the forest, against the sea, against the elements, against the world. They had roof-beams and doors and hatred—as though in this part of the world an architect always included hatred among his tools, and said to his apprentice: 'Mind you've brought along enough hatred today.'"
—Jane Gaskell, Some Summer Lands
To Mic
A boy ran down a hill path screaming.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,421,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible