Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey

Kushiel's Chosen

by Jacqueline Carey

Series: Kushiel's Legacy (2), Phèdre (2)

alternate history (95) bdsm (55) courtesans (21) dark fantasy (41) epic (24) epic fantasy (25) erotic (33) erotica (53) fantasy (817) fiction (258) high fantasy (19) historical fantasy (21) intrigue (39) Jacqueline Carey (23) Kushiel (145) novel (18) own (24) paperback (18) politics (22) read (47) romance (75) sadomasochism (21) science fiction (19) series (70) sex (26) sff (35) speculative fiction (20) Terre d'Ange (24) to-read (33) unread (30)
    Kydona by Thomas K. Krug (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Court intrigue, romance, and the occasional burst of violence.

English (55)  Italian (1)  All languages (56)
Phèdre and Joscelin, heroes of the realm, are living happily in Montrève until Phèdre receives a package from the traitor Melisande. Obsessed with this clue to Melisande’s whereabouts, and pricked by Kushiel’s Dart, Phèdre decides to return to her role as kinky courtesan and spy. As expected, this decision hurts Joscelin deeply and his reaction — to protect and serve, but to back off emotionally — sets the tone for the rest of the novel.

As Phèdre hunts for Melisande, we get to explore more of Jacqueline Carey’s alternate Europe, including her versions of Venice and Crete. We also spend time aboard a pirate ship and in the pirates’ island hide-out. My favorite geographical feature, though, is the island prison of La Dolorosa, where the most intense and exciting scenes in Kushiel’s Chosen occur.

As for the plot, the political intrigue ... Read More: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/kushiels-chosen-2/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Originally posted at FanLit.

As for the plot, the political intrigue ... Read More:
http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/kushiels-chosen-2/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Such an awesome book! Just as good as the first book; I'm so happy I already have the third, I'm going to start that very soon! ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
After reading [b:Kushiel's Dart|153008|Kushiel's Dart (Kushiel's Legacy, #1)|Jacqueline Carey|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41X0K18PHBL._SL75_.jpg|2990010] I knew what to expect in this book so I was not surprised with BDSM sex scenes. I think they were even a little bit tamer and lighter than in a first book. But they are not the point of the book, they are only here to help us better to understand the character of our main heroine Phèdre.
My problem with [a:Jacqueline Carey|9237|Jacqueline Carey|http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1205262579p2/9237.jpg] and why I did not give her greater rating is because she takes too much time explaining and developing the plot... In this second book even more than in the first one. Honestly, I felt like first 40% of book was introduction. But when adventure begins it is breathtaking: Venice and gloomy prison and pirates and kríavbhog and Greek islands and of course epic fight scenes... ( )
  bookwormdreams | Apr 10, 2013 |
With the expectations Kushiel's Dart gave me, I might have been worried that Kushiel's Chosen wouldn't match up. I wasn't, but I wouldn't have needed to be anyway. I loved this book just as much as the first one. Everything I've said about how it's not for everyone still stands (see my first review), although there was less sex, I think, and perhaps more of the politics. Somehow, this book didn't feel as dense as that one, but there's still a lot of content considering it's the second book of a trilogy, and not a trilogy in itself. I think the feeling of less going on is mostly because there are fewer dramatic changes -- in the first book, there were a lot of milestones, and in this one, maybe not as much. It's still an incredible ride.

The stage is set, in this book, so there isn't such a flurry of characters being thrown at you. The new ones, such as Nicola L'Envers y Aragon and Sevario Stregazza, are quite interesting (not least because of the sex scenes, I have to admit). It's lovely to see how Jacqueline Carey weaves the characters so neatly into the plot -- there are no useless characters. I was sorry not to see anything of Hyacinthe in this book, and I was glad that he wasn't ignored. Ysandre was one of my favourite characters in the latter part of this book: she's written as such a strong, strong character.

The relationship between Joscelin and Phèdre was more painful than ever in this book, so I was very, very glad of the end. I'm not sure it could have continued as it was without getting needlessly painful and boring. While the new development makes me happy now, I have no doubts that Joscelin and Phèdre will find new ways to hurt my heart -- and that's good. The relationship between Melisande and Phèdre is still wonderfully handled. The thin line between love and hate that lies between them is perfectly walked. The scene where Phèdre smashes her head back against something to distract herself from Melisande's kiss is amazing.

Plotwise, it was so good. It seriously surprised me in various places, leaving me to flail and keyboard bash and fangirl at anyone willing to listen. The twists and turns are surprising, and yet brilliantly set up: once it's happened you think, "Oh. Yes. Of course."

There's a lovely conclusion, ending the book with some closure and yet also with threads still waiting to be tied up in the final book of the trilogy. I can't wait. I'm tempted to buy the Imriel books already, but I think I'll wait until they're all out in paperback -- painful as that will be.

I seriously recommend this trilogy, if you don't mind a bit of BDSM sex woven into the plot (you can skip it, after all). ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Jacqueline Careyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flosnik, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DANKBETUIGING

Aan al mijn vrienden, familie of niet, ver weg en nabij, om hun begrip voor mijn worsteling, hun vergeving van mijn gebrek aan tijd, de ruimte en vrijheid die ze me gaven, de vreugde (en joie) die ze met me deelden, het vragen, het luisteren, de geschreven en toegestuurde notities, de avonden op de veranda, de gedronken champagne en uitgesproken heilwensen, voor het lezen, voor het laten uitwieken van de vleugels van het verhaal, voor het doorvertellen: bedankt. Duizendmaal bedankt!
No one would deny that I have known hardship in my time, brief though it has been for all that I have done in it.
A steady breeze blew at our backs, and the ships leapt forward like winged creatures, plunging buoyantly over the deep-blue waves.

When she stumbles on a plot that threatens the very foundation of her homeland, Phedre must once again leave her beloved homeland and give up almost everything she holds dear to save it.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,551,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible