Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey

Kushiel's Chosen (edition 2004)

by Jacqueline Carey

Member:chive
Title:Kushiel's Chosen
Authors:Jacqueline Carey
Info:Tor (2004), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 912 pages
Tags:fiction, fantasy, intrigue

Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey

In the second book of this Trilogy we continue with the political intrigue following the young queen of Terre d’Ange. The people love her but there are some who feel another should wear the crown.

Phèdre has once again stumbled onto a plot that threatens her homeland from an old enemy and she goes in search of her. There is treachery and Phèdre is betrayed and has to survive and thwart an assassination threat by her wits. This includes figuring out how the assassination is going to take place.

We are again reminded of Phèdre’s beauty, resourcefulness and how she is born to experience pain as pleasure by every time she melts when a certain person gets near. We also get an overwhelming dose of Phèdre’s self pity, all the people who have died because of her and how guilty she feels. She also treats Jocelyn horribly and feels guilty about it, but doesn’t change her behavior.

Something else that bothers me is the way Phèdre just shrugs off being raped as the inevitable consequence of being a courtesan. If you can ignore all this and concentrate on the plot line you would probably feel this is well written, however it could have been a much shorter book without all the guilt trips, and constant repetitions. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
This is my least favorite book in Phedre's trilogy. I mean, I know Phedre is all about the pain but the way she treats Jocelyn and how she keeps running back to Melisande for more punishment. I want to tell to have some pride and smack her on the end.

Obviously, it all works out but there are moments when I really worried about these characters and the boys! Oh the boys -- well, I won't spoil it but it hurt my heart.

I love this series and will read it over and over for the rest of my life. This is the third re-read btw. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I enjoyed this trilogy, although I waited too long before reviewing it, and they have all flowed together in my brain ( )
  atreic | Jul 21, 2014 |
Phèdre and Joscelin, heroes of the realm, are living happily in Montrève until Phèdre receives a package from the traitor Melisande. Obsessed with this clue to Melisande’s whereabouts, and pricked by Kushiel’s Dart, Phèdre decides to return to her role as kinky courtesan and spy. As expected, this decision hurts Joscelin deeply and his reaction — to protect and serve, but to back off emotionally — sets the tone for the rest of the novel.

As Phèdre hunts for Melisande, we get to explore more of Jacqueline Carey’s alternate Europe, including her versions of Venice and Crete. We also spend time aboard a pirate ship and in the pirates’ island hide-out. My favorite geographical feature, though, is the island prison of La Dolorosa, where the most intense and exciting scenes in Kushiel’s Chosen occur.

As for the plot, the political intrigue ... Read More: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/kushiels-chosen-2/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Originally posted at FanLit.

As for the plot, the political intrigue ... Read More:
http://www.fantasyliterature.com/reviews/kushiels-chosen-2/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Jacqueline Careyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flosnik, AnneNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
DANKBETUIGING

Aan al mijn vrienden, familie of niet, ver weg en nabij, om hun begrip voor mijn worsteling, hun vergeving van mijn gebrek aan tijd, de ruimte en vrijheid die ze me gaven, de vreugde (en joie) die ze met me deelden, het vragen, het luisteren, de geschreven en toegestuurde notities, de avonden op de veranda, de gedronken champagne en uitgesproken heilwensen, voor het lezen, voor het laten uitwieken van de vleugels van het verhaal, voor het doorvertellen: bedankt. Duizendmaal bedankt!
No one would deny that I have known hardship in my time, brief though it has been for all that I have done in it.
A steady breeze blew at our backs, and the ships leapt forward like winged creatures, plunging buoyantly over the deep-blue waves.

ollowing hard on the heels of Kushiel's Dart, Jacqueline Carey's spectacular debut novel, comes Kushiel's Chosen, a glittering and riveting historical fantasy.

The land of Terre d'Ange is a place of unsurpassed beauty and grace. It is said that the angels found the land and saw it was good, and the ensuing race that rose from the seed of angels and men live by one simple rule: Love as thou wilt.

Phèdre nó Delaunay is a young woman who was born with a scarlet mote in her left eye and sold into indentured servitude as a child. Her bond was purchased by Anafiel Delaunay, a nobleman with a very special mission--and the first to recognize her for who and what she is: one pricked by Kushiel's Dart, chosen to forever experience pain and pleasure as one.
Phèdre has trained in the courtly arts and the talents of the bedchamber, but, above all, the ability to observe, remember, and analyze. Having stumbled upon a plot that threatened the very foundations of her homeland, she gave up almost everything she held dear to save it. She survived, and lived to have others tell her story, and if they embellished the tale with fabric of mythical splendor, they weren't far off the mark.

The hands of the gods weigh heavily upon Phèdre's brow, and they are not yet done with their charge--for while the young queen who sits upon the throne is well loved by the people, there are those who believe that other heads should wear the crown. And those who escaped the wrath of the mighty are not yet done with their schemes for power and revenge. To protect and serve, Phèdre will once again leave her beloved homeland.

From the sun-drenched villas of La Serenissima to the wilds of old Hellas, from a prison designed to drive the very gods mad to an island of immutable joy. Phèdre will meet old friends and new enemies and discover a plot so dreadful as to make the earth tremble, masterminded by the one person she cannot turn away from.

When she stumbles on a plot that threatens the very foundation of her homeland, Phdre must once again leave her beloved homeland and give up almost everything she holds dear to save it.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,149,453 books! | Top bar: Always visible