At Love's Bidding by Regina Jennings

At Love's Bidding

by Regina Jennings

My first book that I read by Regina, was A Most Inconvenient Marriage. Because I enjoyed it so much I wanted to read more. At Love's Bidding was the sixth book, and it was no disappointment. I was pleasantly surprised to learn more about some of the characters in A Most Inconvenient Marriage. I had forgotten it too was part of the Ozark Mountain Romance Series. I love the way Regina incorporates love, laughter and sometimes tears into her stories. I would highly recommend this book. It would make a good summer read. ( )
  Sandralb | Aug 30, 2016 |
Monday, March 14, 2016
At Love's Bidding by Regina Jennings, © 2016

From the neat and tidy streets of Boston, Massachusetts, Miranda Wimplegate and her grandfather, Elmer Wimplegate, leave their Wimplegate Auction House to board the train heading through the Missouri Ozarks ~ only they will be stopping.

Unfortunately, when Miranda saw the next item up for bid wasn't in her carefully drawn auction catalog, she didn't interrupt her grandfather so as not to embarrass him. How could a portrait of a man within a fine frame disrupt their reputation as a sale house? Thus, sends them on a merry chase to the auction house they have purchased sight unseen in Pine Gap, Missouri, to intercept the painting before it is resold.

Will they be in for a big surprise upon arriving and finding what else is for sale along with the local art.

"Mr. Pritchard here. So sorry we didn't have someone to pick you up, but here you are. Now, I did just as you asked and haven't sold a thing ever since you wired the money. We just took everything the folks brought in, but didn't let none of it go."
At Love's Bidding, 45, 46

Wyatt Ballentine is caught off guard to find that all he has worked for has been passed on to someone else.

Miranda's grandfather leaves her to travel through the countryside to find new offerings for their Boston sale house. Known to be shy and used to following directives from others, Miranda finds she must get some backbone to watch out for Grandfather and his ventures. Especially to stand up to Wyatt who has stayed on as manager.

Wyatt has had to maintain his own livelihood, poked fun of as the younger brother. As he and Miranda search out how they can best work together, they find their differences become assets.

I like Grandpère LeBlanc's appearance and humble surroundings. He helps the story along and projects character of those nearby.

This story is interesting and I look forward to future gatherings of the countryside very aptly described by the author.

***Thank you to author Regina Jennings and Bethany House Publishing for sending me a review copy of At Love's Bidding. This review was written in my own words. No other compensation was received.*** ( )
  lanehillhouse | Mar 14, 2016 |
Wonderful! I did not want to put this book down. I loved the comedy and the romance in this historical fiction. It would be hard to go from working in a prestigious Boston auction house to an auction barn. Miranda had to do this to help her family find a painting that they sold inadvertently by her grandfather. This book had many happy points and some sad points. Miranda and Wyatt were great characters that belong together. I received this book from the author and bookfun.org for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jan 30, 2016 |
I liked the interactions between the characters and how they had to handle being in an unfamiliar situation. I know I would probably feel like a fish out of water if I had to go from the city of Boston to the Missouri Ozarks during this time and would have no idea how to get myself out of what they found themselves in charge of.
I would recommend this to anyone who would like a lighthearted read.
I received a copy of this from the publisher to review. ( )
  polarmath | Jan 20, 2016 |
At Love’s Bidding by Regina Jennings is the second book in the Ozark Mountain Romance series and it is set in 1873. Miranda Wimplegate is used to staying in the shadows. She does not like being the center of attention and you can tell from the dull clothes that she wears in colors that will make her blend in with her surroundings. Miranda works at her family's auction house Wimplegate Auction House (not very original) in Boston, Massachusetts. The family sold a painting that was not supposed to be in the auction (so who put it there). Miranda and her grandfather, Elmer Wimplegate (who seems to be having memory issues) go to Pine Gap (where the purchases mailed the painting) to retrieve the painting which will protect the reputation of their auction house. In order to ensure that they get the painting, the purchase the auction house in Pine Gap (sight unseen). What they do not know is that the auction house caters to animals (and whatever else anyone wishes to sell).

Wyatt Ballentine is the manager of the sale barn at the auction house in Pine Gap. He has been saving up to buy it and is upset when he finds out that the owner sold it to outsiders. Wyatt is hoping he can convince Miranda and Elmer that this is not the business for them and get them to sell the auction house to him. Wyatt does not anticipate Miranda and her determined nature. Miranda will have her hands full with keeping an eye on her grandfather (who is getting worse each day), looking for the painting, and not letting Wyatt know what she is looking for in the auction house. I think Miranda and Wyatt are in for an adventure!

At Love’s Bidding is a cute novel. I liked the main characters (especially Wyatt) and the setting of Pine Gap. There are some interesting people in this delightful little town. At Love’s Bidding is fun and easy to read. I give At Love’s Bidding 4 out of 5 stars (I liked it). I liked seeing Miranda grow and blossom during the course of the novel. At Love’s Bidding can be read without having enjoyed the first book in the series. I look forward to the next book in the Ozark Mountain Romance series.

I received a complimentary copy of At Love’s Bidding from NetGalley and The Book Club Inc. (and the publisher) in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jan 15, 2016 |
This is a "moo-ving" story of wrong first impressions. After a costly mistake, Miranda Wimplegate travels to backwoods Missouri with her grandfather to try and correct the situation. A deadline must be met or her family could lose their business and more. Upon arriving, in the Missouri Ozarks, she chances to meet two brothers, making wrong first impressions of both.

Miranda soon learns grandfather seems to have started a new business venture in Missouri, one he knows completely nothing about. He depends on one of the two brothers to help him out, that being the brother that made the worst impression on Miranda. Now she's stuck working with the poor, smelly, bullying, headstrong man.

This is also a rags to riches to rags to riches story with romance, mystery, and backwoods all tied in.

I received this book free from The Book Club Network, Inc. for my honest opinion. I have shared this review on Amazon.com; Goodreads; LibraryThing; Christianbook.com; Barnes and Noble; and Deeper Shopping.
added by prudie | editnone, Pam Rudie (Feb 7, 2016)

Regina Jennings Is a Rising Voice
in Humorous Historical Romance

After helping her grandfather at their Boston auction house, Miranda Wimplegate discovers she's accidentally sold a powerful family's prized portrait to an anonymous bidder. Desperate to appease the furious family, her grandfather tracks it to the Missouri Ozarks and makes an outlandish offer to buy the local auction house if they promise not to sell anything until he arrives.

Upon their arrival, however, they discover their new business doesn't deal in fine antiques, but in livestock. And its manager, ruggedly handsome Wyatt Ballentine, is frustrated to discover his fussy new bosses don't know a thing about the business he's single-handedly kept afloat. Faced with more cattle than they can count--but no mysterious painting--Miranda and Wyatt form an unlikely but charged partnership to try and salvage a bad situation getting worse.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 26 Aug 2015 17:20:48 -0400)

"In 1873, when Boston native Miranda Wimplegate mistakenly auctions off a prized portrait, her grandfather purchases the entire Missouri Ozarks auction house where it was sent. After traveling to the Ozarks to recover it, they make surprising discoveries about their new business"--… (more)

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,501,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible