No Love Allowed by Kate Evangelista

No Love Allowed

by Kate Evangelista

“No.”

Two letters that made up the saddest word in the world. It sounded so much like go. It hit him straight where it would hurt most. His heart Eyes stinging, he backed away from her room.
Everything on this book is so cliche. EVERYTHING. And it wouldn’t be a romance if it isn’t a cliche, right? AND I F*CKING LOVE IT. The book balanced every negativity of my life. It was one of that book that you would want to read if you feel so sad, depressed or even lonely. It will give you all the positive lightness in your heart. The characters are addicting, fruitful and it feels like you are also falling in love with them.

I love how Kate Evangelista writes this book. It drowns me with her words and it captivates my heart. I felt as if I was with the characters, I was with them all along. It feels light in my heart and I wanted to scream for more. I wanted more of Didi and Caleb. I wanted to know more about what will happen to them in the future. I demand a future artist and a future lawyer.

I finished the book in one sitting. I have to emphasize that it was so light. I am feeling down but this book really lifted me up at some point. And I have to emphasize that I failed as a pre-medical student! I didn’t see that coming. Whatever that was. I didn’t see it on Didi. I fall in love with her as Caleb fall in love with Didi. I think I love the character of Didi.

Kate Evangelista brought a personality that has come to live with Didi: the balanced mixture of weirdness and real, a combination of jolly and alone, a collision of truth and kindred, an amazing girl. I would say that… that kind of personality is the kind of personality that I wanted in a girl. Somewhere between the line. Yes, it is a fictional but Kate really put the light elements and the negative elements just right.

I loved it. I am in love with her book. I have the feeling of easiness when I was reading her book. I could imagine every single word that she offered. I don’t know. Maybe, Caleb and I share the same principles in love but not the same circumstances. Maybe, that’s why or isn’t but I exactly fall in love with Didi as he falls in love with her. It was so magnificent and real. I can feel the magical feeling when I was reading the book.

I want more.

I demand more.

Please?

No Love Allowed by Kate Evangelista is surely a five-star book. You will like it. You will love it. You will fall in love with it. You will even fall in love on the second time around. It brought happiness to your heart. A light that will lift you up and will bring smiles and giggles and of course, love. Thank you, Kate, for writing such an amazing book! Thank you.

P.S.: I couldn’t forgive the author for writing a male lead with BLUE EYES. Whenever I read them when they are describing the male lead with blue eyes, I always tend to get envious and jealous. Why can’t you write a male protagonist with brown eyes and black hair? Please? Anyway, No Love Allowed is great! Grab it and consumed it! You’ll never regret it.

“That was when I realized all love does is hurt people. It lulls you into a false sense of security, and then bam! You slam into a brick wall of pain. A shit ton of pain. Love destroys people to the point where they don’t even care who else they hurt in the process.” ( )
  Rafael_Ray | Aug 27, 2016 |
This young adult version of “Pretty Woman” shares many elements with the adult story: there is the rich, seemingly shallow guy, Caleb, who hires a pretty girl, Didi, to be his escort at summer parties, insisting that no feelings be involved (there’s even a no-kissing rule); the need to dress the benighted female in sumptuous clothes; the shock that she can hold her own in his social set; her refusal to take his money; and of course, the aha moment when he realizes he has fallen in love with her. (“Reluctantly he caught himself admitting Didi affected him more than he’d ever thought possible. It scared him. Yet in the pit of his stomach, a thrill mixed with his fear. What was happening to him?”) In the end, it will be no spoiler to fans of “Pretty Woman” to relate that in spite of all Caleb’s assets, it is Didi who rescues Caleb.

There isn’t any sex in this younger version, but a lot of purple prose nevertheless, replete with breathless longing, bulging muscles, tight, lean bodies, and an eventual kiss that was “hard, hot, and full of promises.” While no one claims Didi is a “Cinder-fucking-ella” she clearly is, and analogously, Caleb finds about Didi that “[e]ven the way she ate a fucking burger fascinated him.”

As for Didi’s past, she isn’t a prostitute, but something perhaps just as shameful - at least as far as Caleb’s father is concerned: Didi is bipolar. [Um, gosh - how can one even come up with a comment on that "equivalency"?]

Unfortunately, a movie version would have helped. We could have seen events unfold instead of reading bad prose descriptions of them, such as “Curses and giggles abounded.”

Then there is the inevitable nod to Jane Eyre: “It was as if an invisible string bound her heart to his, and no matter what happened nothing could cut the connection between them.” Too bad Charlotte Brontë never got royalties for that concept.

Evaluation: For teens not having been exposed to “Pretty Woman,” this modern YA combo of “Cinderella” and “My Fair Lady” may have broad appeal, but I was sorely disappointed at the quality (or lack thereof) of the writing. ( )
1 vote nbmars | Aug 26, 2016 |
I'm so glad everything worked out in the end! ( )
  kt_traas | Jun 17, 2016 |
I was so excited to read this story, but someone told me they didn’t like it and my excitement plummeted to the ground. Turns out, I ended up enjoying it a lot! It was a fast-paced contemporary with a bit of an insight to a specific mental illness.

Caleb wants to take a gap year and only travel with his cousin around Europe. His plans are cut short when his dad tells him he has to go to college because Caleb almost made his dad lose a client. Fortunately, his father tells him he could still take the gap year if he works as an intern at his father’s office and attends all of the events from his job. But Caleb is eye-candy for every girl and in order to keep them away, he needs a girlfriend…or rather a fake girlfriend.

I was surprised by Didi’s disorder. It’s rare to read about mental health in YA’s and the reality is, they should be talked about. I think the disorder was down-played and didn’t give that much information but enough to make the reader search for more. Being a Psychology major, I always pay attention to every detail that’s mentioned of a disorder/syndrome in a book. I was happy to read that the author explained the episodes that occur in a person with this mental illness.

Didi appears like such a normal person, it’s not even funny. And that’s a mistake we make a lot. We think, “Oh, a person with a disorder is recognizable.” *buzzer sound* Incorrect, ladies and gents. Caleb spent a lot of time with Didi and he never knew she had a disorder and that’s how it is in real life, unfortunately. To him, she was being a woman or he would blame himself for upsetting her. When he found out about her disorder, he was in shock to put it mildly. But I really think he handled the situation very well so kudos to Caleb!

Despite it all, I loved Didi so much. She would say what was on her mind without a second thought. She was so much fun! The whole story was very fun to read. Didi and Caleb were so cute together. Caleb was so smitten with Didi and he didn’t even realize it! Reading about him wanting to spend with her and wanting to make her happy made me all kinds of giddy and I was so rooting for him to get the girl! A secondary character I absolutely loved was Nathan and guess what? He’s getting his own story in No Holding Back!

Overall, I really enjoyed it this story! It went by so fast though and I wish I had more time with the characters to get more connected with them but it was still a very entertaining story.
Review can be found on Latte Nights Reviews:
https://lattenightsreviews.com/arc-review-no-love-allowed/ ( )
  GenGenBookBlog | Jun 6, 2016 |
Caleb barely stifled a grimace.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,840 books! | Top bar: Always visible