Beyond the Silence by Tracie Peterson

Beyond the Silence

by Tracie Peterson

Lillian Porter was not your typical wealthy young woman. Being orphaned as an infant and raised by her affluent, doting grandparents, she had lived a very sheltered and privileged life. She accepts a job from an ad to be a nanny to a young boy. She believed God was leading, so she went even though her grandfather disowned her. She travels to an olive farm in California to work for Woody, caring for his son Jimmy. Such a drastic change for her; from the big city of Indianapolis and servants at her beck and call, to a rural olive farm in Angels Camp, California! Upon arrival she finds her new employer has been accused of the murder of his wife and is ostracized by the town! Her fears are put aside once she meets Woody, his house keeper Mrs. Goodman and little Jimmy. She learns his silence began after his mother died. She quickly becomes a part of the family. Her love grows for the family. Little do they know the dangers they facing or the problems ahead. I love Lillian’s courage and spunk. She has such character and fortitude! I liked how the authors made God the center the individuals lives and collectively as a household. They were a reminder that even the strongest faith can be questioned or doubted in extremely difficult times; real trust in God always shines through! This book is beautifully written, a real page turner!!I received this book free from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for an honest review. The opinions I have stated are my own. ( )
  Mizroady | Apr 12, 2016 |
Lillian has a sense of adventure that she decides to act upon by going west to take a job as a nanny. The family that she is working for has had their share of heartache and many feel that the father has brought it upon himself. Lillian has to learn how to survive in a new place where she had traveled to despite her family's wishes, but has to do it with only the support of her new employer. Lillian has to work hard to overcome many of the townspeople's snub because of her association with this family.
I would find it hard to do what she did with leaving all that was safe and familiar to embark on a journey where I did not know what all to expect. Lillian has it even harder as she is fighting against an unknown that is out to get the family. She has to battle this all while trying to protect and nurture her charge.
This is an enjoyable book and will leave you rooting for Lillian as she tries to make things better for the Colton family.
I received a copy of the book from the publisher to read and review. ( )
  polarmath | Feb 15, 2016 |
Beyond The Silence is an historical romance novel that captures the flavor of Old California in the late 1900s. Additionally the characters are endearing and the faith message is strong. This one is sure to appeal to fans of Peterson and Woodhouse and those who desire faith in God to be at the center of the story.

Lillian Porter is a determined young woman set on following her parents’ dreams as well as her own when she sets out to be a Nanny for a young boy traumatized by the death of his mother. What she finds is a town full of gossips and a father with hurt of his own. Her spirit, tenacity and reliance on God helps to turn the family around. But a murderer is still on the loose, and he will stop at nothing to get what he thinks is his.

The historical setting of Angel’s Camp, California is very interesting with its information on the cultivation of olives for oil and the table. Other historical details — clothing, transportation, medicine, etc. — lend an authentic flavor to Beyond The Silence. The characters are endearing, if just a bit stereotypical. The villain in particular has only one dimension. But I was drawn to the secondary character of Harry. Some labeled him an idiot, others simpleminded. But with sensitivity, the authors created in him a warm, funny and wise addition to the cast. There is a very definite faith message in the narrative. Characters continually pray about their fears, doubts and shortcomings. Gossip is portrayed for what it is — an evil that destroys relationships and reputations. God is seen as the only reliable source of refuge in times of trial.

Beyond The Silence is a quick read and should be just the thing for a reader looking for history and romance.

Recommended.

Audience: adults.

(Thanks to LitFuse and Bethany House for a review copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Feb 11, 2016 |
Title: Beyond the Silence
Author: Tracie Peterson & Kimberley Woodhouse
Pages: 352
Year: 2016
Publisher: Bethany
My rating is 5 stars.
The story starts out in the year 1890 in California where a young woman is being attacked and her young son hears her screams and comes upon the scene. Then, readers are taken to another scene a year later but in a different home where a young woman is saying goodbye to her grandfather. The young woman is Lillian Porter who was raised by her grandparents after the death of her parents. However, after the death of her grandmother, her grandfather has become mean and won’t allow Lillian any freedoms. Yet, Lillian knows she is doing the right thing by leaving the home she was raised in to travel to California to become a nanny.
Woody is the father of a young boy Jimmy. Jimmy is the young boy who witnessed the crime against his mother. Since that day, Jimmy hasn’t spoken one word and his father is at a loss as to what to do. Woody is ostracized by the town; the gossip about him is vicious. It is in to this type of animosity that Lillian is surrounded by the moment she steps foot off the stagecoach.
From this point forward, I believe other readers like me are going to enjoy the relationship that develops between Lillian, Jimmy and the housekeeper. I enjoyed reading the wrestling of the heart and soul of the characters while learning how to forgive, move forward and forgiving the wagging tongues. There is also a man who is not treated kindly by the town because he is simple-minded and the sweetest kind of man that befriends Jimmy.
The various problems that Woody and his household endure will either deepen their faith or not. I loved how the adults at night would gather around the table to have a Bible study and how Lillian just loved to have her many questions voiced possibly answered during their time around the table. Lillian lived with a grandfather whose heart appeared to have become so hardened after the loss of his wife. I enjoyed too how Lillian kept reaching out to her grandfather though he stated he wanted nothing more to do with her or read her letters.
Beyond the Silence is a very heart-touching, adventurous story and truly an entertaining novel!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Feb 8, 2016 |
This story opens on such a sad note with a heinous crime of murder in front of a six year old, who becomes so traumatized that he never talks again. Who would do such an evil thing, and then to make things worse, if possible, Jimmy’s dad Woody is accused of killing his wife.
Enter Lillian Porter whom as the book opens has made a decision that is about to affect every ones life, she is going to go west and take a job as a nanny. Now Lillian has grown up sheltered and with a silver spoon type of life, and now she is defying her Grandfather, who in the end disowns her. She was orphaned as a baby and raised by her wealthy grandparents, but now wants to follow in her mother’s footsteps.
We are about to experience life in Angels Camp California, and are surprised how the man they know and loved is now treated. There is some violence and tears, and chuckles and laughs, a bit of romance, and as we follow this story we move in with these characters and live with them.
I enjoyed this book, and see how we can make rash decisions, and how they effect everyone, not just us. I loved particularly the character of Henry, simple-minded gentle giant; he was a joy in this book. Enjoy this captivating story about a real town in the old west.
I received this book through Litfuse Publicity Book Tour, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Jan 28, 2016 |

Powerhouse Team Pairs Up for Second Novel

Lillian Porter has always wanted to fulfill her mother's dream of going west, so when she hears about a nanny position in Angels Camp, California, she defies her grandfather and takes a chance on a new future. But she quickly wonders if she made the right choice. There are rumors in town that her new employer, Woodward Colton, caused the death of his wife. This accusation doesn't match the man Lillian comes to know--and Mrs. Goodman, Woody's long-time housekeeper, is decisively on Woody's side--but many in town stay far away from Lillian because of her association with the Colton family.

Lillian's six-year-old charge, Jimmy, was there when his mother died, and he hasn't spoken a word since. Gently, Lillian tries to coax him out of his shell, hoping he'll one day feel safe enough to tell her the truth about what happened. But the Colton olive farm is no longer a safe place. Lillian encounters suspicious characters on their land and mysterious damage done to the farm. Will Mrs. Goodman and Jimmy be able to speak what they know in time to save Lillian from tragedy?

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 16 Aug 2015 05:53:30 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,022,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible