Cold Shot by Dani Pettrey

For the first book in a series, this book starts out good. I like the dynamics involving Griffin and his friends, Declan and Parker. I could tell that there was a lot of history between them all that helped to connect them for life. Each guy and his profession was an asset to the story. I can't wait to get to know more about Declan and Parker.

With all of the male testosterone, Finley could have easily fallen into the background but she didn't. In fact, she stood toe to toe with Griffin. Nothing wrong with a strong female lead. There is a romantic connection between Griffin and Finley but it is slow and kind. It does not distract from the mystery at hand. This book is a quick read. If you like mysteries but not all of the blood and gore than you should check out this book. ( )
  Cherylk | Jan 29, 2017 |
The improved review was published in Booklist June 2016 issue.

Thérèse Plummer, winner of multiple AudioFile Earphone Awards, adds a wealth of emotion to the first in the Chesapeake Valor series of Christian Romantic Suspense. Griffin McCray, Parker, and Declan grew up as close as brothers with each choosing a career in law enforcement. When Park Ranger McCray finds a modern corpse at Gettysburg, it is his sniper background which aids forensic anthropologist Finley Scott and the entire team in hunting the killer. Plummer uses subtle changes in intonation, cadence, and accent to distinguish between the various characters. She evokes the tension of the present danger and the torment of revealing damaging pasts while simultaneously creating a sparkling transformation of romance from teasing to longing to commitment. The characters’ invocations of faith also fall naturally in the rhythms of the dialogue and story. Plummer’s even pacing and clean enunciation create a smooth, engaging listening experience. ( )
  ktoonen | Sep 22, 2016 |
Cold Shot by Dani Pettrey was By The Book’s June selection. My book club gave it a unanimous thumbs up for likable characters, non-stop action and an unpredictable plot. A great book for beach or poolside reading, this one gets our unequivocal recommendation.

A cold case soon becomes almost too hot too handle when a body is discovered on Little Round Top at the Gettysburg National Battleground site. Ranger Griffin McCray and forensic anthropologist Finley Scott join forces to determine the identity of the victim and bring to justice those who killed her. But with a slew of bad guys, tension between old friends and past trauma, this case is neither straightforward nor easy.

My group loved the main characters in Cold Shot, but also those secondary characters we are hoping will get novels of their own. Most are Christians who struggle with trust in a Father they know is good, but lets them experience pain and tragedy and exhibits His strength through their weakness. Both Griffin and Finley turn to God in prayer to guide their lives and discover the truth. Short chapters keep the action going, making this a page-turner with enough twists and turns to keep the characters and the reader off-balance. The depravity of the bad guys is discussed, but never graphically. You get chills, but no nightmare-inducing images. There was only one complaint expressed by all in our group — we have to wait 7 more months for book 2, Still Life, to come out!

Cold Shot is a winner from our new favorite author, Dani Pettrey. Grab your copy for your next weekend getaway.

Recommended!

Audience: adults.

(Thanks to Bethany House Publishers for the copy I received through their book club coordinator program. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Jun 23, 2016 |
I was thrilled to be able to get my hands on Dani Pettrey's newest book. I loved her Alaskan Courage series and was looking forward to reading Cold Shot. This newest series is just as exciting and is a thrilling adventure from cover to cover. I like how she gradually introduces you to each character not telling their whole story right up front. It's like pieces of a puzzle that come together gradually and finally at the end you see the whole picture. Although, this book has surely added mysteries that aren't solved in this first book and will lead to the next 3 books. I appreciated the way the author communicated the faith of her characters. It was not forced, but seemed very natural throughout the book. I enjoyed reading about the characters in this first book, and look forward to continuing their stories in the books to come.

***I received this free book from Bethany House Publishers in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  MandaT | Mar 4, 2016 |
I have been to Gettysburg twice in my lifetime and have fond memories of both. One more recent visit was just a couple years ago. As a lover of history, the battlefields and sights draw me in. Another place I have always enjoyed visiting is the Chesapeake area. It is beautiful there. That whole vicinity on the eastern coast has its seeds entrenched in history and is extremely fascinating to me. But that isn't the only reason I wanted to read this book. I also think Dani is an outstanding author. I have enjoyed every book she has written, and couldn't wait to read this new series.

Agent McCray has settled for a mostly peaceful job as a ranger in the Gettysburg National Military Park, since his life plans went astray. He, along with three other guys, were a tight bunch, with lives planned, determined to make an amazing team together until one went missing -the glue that held them together. After that, they drifted apart. When a sniper shooting went wrong, McCray blamed himself, and left the force for a different pace.

During a archaeological excavation in the park, he meets Finley Scott, the drop dead gorgeous forensics doctor in charge of the dig. As the sparks begin to fly, Griffin is thankful the dig is wrapping up, that is, until a body is found. A recently buried one. Friends reunite as an investigation begins. Adding with it, suspense, mystery, and danger! What should have been a simple missing person ID is now turning into a tail-spinning, treacherous quest for truth.

I admire the spiritual aspect of Dani' s writings. Not only does she keep her audience enthralled and on the edge of their seats, but she incorporates a level of spirituality that comes as natural as breathing. To me, that's the way life should be lived, with no defining lines between the supernatural and the daily grind. Both Griffin and Finley seem connected to God and deliberately make choices and decisions based on their relationship with Him. Their prayerful thought lives flow freely amidst the chaotic, unpredictable pages of the book. This story will take you on a ride you won't soon forget, as you once again fall in love with her characters.

I was blessed with a copy of this book courtesy of Bethany House publishers in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  AimeeSeasons | Mar 1, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0764211978, Paperback)

Dani Pettrey Launches a New Romantic Suspense Series

In college, Griffin McCray and his four best friends had their lives planned out. Griffin and Luke Gallagher would join the Baltimore PD. Declan Gray would head to the FBI and Parker Mitchell would go on to graduate school as a crime scene analyst. But then Luke vanished before graduation and their world--and friendships--crumbled.

Now Griffin is a park ranger at Gettysburg, having left life as a SWAT-team sniper when a case went bad. The job is mostly quiet--until the day he captures two relic hunters uncovering skeletal remains near Little Round Top. Griffin just wants the case to go away, but charming forensic anthropologist Finley Scott determines that the body is modern--a young social justice lawyer missing since spring--and all evidence points to the work of an expert sniper. When FBI agent Declan Gray takes over the case, past and present collide. Griffin soon realizes he'll need to confront some of the darkest days of his life if he--and those he cares about--are going to escape a downward spiral of murder that crosses continents.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 23 Aug 2015 19:05:28 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,700 books! | Top bar: Always visible