King's Folly by Jill Williamson
191537,190 (3)None

**This is a prequel series to Jill Williamson’s previous series, Blood of Kings. It is also a series starter for the Kinsman Chronicles that is comprised of three sections: Darkness Reigns, The Heir War, and The End of All Things. These three parts of this volume were originally released as e-books.**

Do you enjoy reading epic fantasies? Are you looking for a dark story where kingdoms are on the verge of a disastrous war with all the drama? If so, then this is what you are looking for, prepare to be entertained.

This is a very complex world that the author built and the way to understanding it is through the many characters that the author introduces. The world is formed with layer upon layer of the story told through different point of views. In order to gain a true understanding, make sure you do not skim the chapters because every page is full of information that builds upon itself.

Five kingdoms are each represented through different persons and their point of view. As I stated, there are many characters within the story and it jumps between characters and realms continually, this could be a downside for some readers as it is a lot to follow and keep straight. The key players in this epic fantasy come from the House of Hadar and the main story plot surrounds the prophesied Five Woes that are going to come upon the Five Realms. Do you notice a numerical theme? There is also a lot of superstition throughout the story surrounding the number five.

Of course there is a monarchy and with it comes court backbiting, political subterfuge and drama. There are tribes that practice consorting with demons, black magic and drug use. There are also many prophecies, multiple religions, racially and culturally diverse regions and lets not forget human sacrifices hoping to appease a god who brings doom-predicting earthquakes.

This is a very rich and detailed fantasy. I cannot fault the writing, characters, plots or subplots but for me the first few chapters were slow and boring. It was not until I really developed an interest in a few characters that I became engaged in the story. I really dislike monarchy drama, concubines, prostitutes, and polygamy but as much as I hate it, that was a reality and she creates an utterly realistic setting.

I get the Christian symbolism with the whole dark will be conquered by light and there is hope…but Christian genre?….well that’s a stretch for me. I have truly enjoyed Ms. Williamson’s other works but this one just did not reach me like they did. Although like I said earlier, if you like epic fantasies then this story is truly for you. 😊

*Thank you to Bethany House Publishers & NetGalley for this copy of King’s Folly* ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Apr 25, 2016 |

An Epic New Fantasy Series from
Fan Favorite Jill Williamson

The gods are angry.

Volcanic eruptions, sinkholes, ground shakers--everything points to their unhappiness. At least that is what the king of Armania believes. His son, Prince Wilek, thinks his father's superstitions are nonsense, though he remains the ever dutiful heir apparent to the throne.

When a messenger arrives and claims that the town of Farway has been swallowed by the earth, the king sends Wilek to investigate. But what Wilek discovers is more cataclysmic than one lost city. Even as the ground shifts beneath his feet, Wilek sets out on a desperate journey to save his people and his world. But can he do it before the entire land crumbles?

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 21 Aug 2015 04:14:26 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,137,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible