The Atonement by Beverly Lewis

The Atonement

by Beverly Lewis

I'm surprised Beverly Lewis still has new stories to write about the Amish, but she never seems to run out of themes and stories. I think this is the first book I've read that had part of the book written from the dat's point of view, but that was good. Although some people might predict that Dale would become Amish and marry Lucy, it was better the way it ended.
  eliorajoy | Oct 21, 2016 |
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, becomes the backdrop for the book Atonement, established in the Amish countryside about Lucy, who is twenty-five years old and not married. She's tried to make up for not having a husband and kids by volunteering in the community. But Lucy and her family have a secret that could destroy everyone's happiness. How they deal with the mystery, becomes the story. I enjoyed this book and will look for the next Beverly Lewis book to come out. ( )
  JCGirl | Jul 4, 2016 |
The Atonement
Beverly Lewis

Book Summary: he mistakes of the past haunt Lucy Flaud, who years ago stopped attending the activities for courting-age young people in her hometown of Bird-in-Hand. Now twenty-five and solidly past the age of Amish courtship, Lucy has given up any hope of marriage, instead focusing her efforts on volunteering in both the Plain and fancy communities of Lancaster County. Yet no matter how hard Lucy strives, she feels uncertain that she'll ever find redemption. Dale Wyeth has a deep mistrust of modern-day "advances" and the dependency they create. The young Englisher's interest in living off the grid is fueled further when he meets Christian Flaud, Lucy's father. Dale appreciates the self-sufficient ways of the Old Order Amish, and Christian invites him to learn more about them by staying at the family farm. As Christian and Dale grow closer, developing a father-son rapport, Lucy begins to question what Dale's being there might mean for her. Could God be testing her? Or is it possible that even the most unworthy heart--and two people from very different walks of life--can somehow find a new beginning?

Review: I love Beverly Lewis and her books. I liked Lucy and felt great empathy for her. She had a multitude of reasons to be lost. Even though there were problems within the family with decisions and communication I found that all were tolerable to really likable. The tension about families moving to Colorado and those staying was unique. I find that the story flowed smoothly from beginning to end. I enjoyed the secondary characters, although I would have liked Tobe to have been in the story more. While his character was forth right, he was so likable and well written. Not perfect, but a true gem of a character.
I would like to thank Net Galley and Bethany House for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. ( )
  Robin661 | May 9, 2016 |
The Atonement tells the story of Lucy Flaud and how she had devoted her life to volunteering and and trying to atone for mistakes of the past. Due to something that happened long ago, she no longer feels worthy of having a family and a normal life. Through her father, she meets Dale Wyeth, who is an Englisher. She soon grows closer to him and soon begins to realize that redemption and forgiveness is possible.
I felt bad for Lucy for feeling that there was nothing she could do and that others would not forgive and accept her for who she was. I was glad to see that she was able to open up and allow herself the opportunity to grow again.
I received this book from the publisher to review. ( )
  polarmath | Apr 28, 2016 |
Beverly Lewis has a gift to write Amish stories that relates to its culture, as well as to us Englischers with depth and perception. The Atonement is no different. The simplicity of the Amish life doesn't necessarily mean their lives are simple. No, not the least, because as humans, we are complicated and sinful in nature. We were given the gift of choice, and with that choice, sometimes our decisions may bring about pain and rejection. It can create a boulder-sized hole in our soul as forgiveness seems far and redemption even further. That is what we have with The Atonement. Lucy have bottled up her past by keeping herself busy with her volunteer work. In truth, she's struggling emotionally with herself, her family, mainly her dad, and ultimately with God. Will she be able to atone her past sins by trying so hard to do good?

For the full review, visit Just Commonly Blog.

NOTE: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher, Bethany House for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own. For my review policy, please see my Disclosure page. ( )
  justcommonly | Apr 22, 2016 |

A Must-Have Novel from the #1 Name in Amish Fiction

The mistakes of the past haunt Lucy Flaud, who years ago stopped attending the activities for courting-age young people in her hometown of Bird-in-Hand. Now twenty-five and solidly past the age of Amish courtship, Lucy has given up any hope of marriage, instead focusing her efforts on volunteering in both the Plain and fancy communities of Lancaster County. Yet no matter how hard Lucy strives, she feels uncertain that she'll ever find redemption.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 29 Jul 2015 18:40:59 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Beverly Lewis's book The Atonement was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,019,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible