The Invention of Tradition (Canto Classics)…

The Invention of Tradition (Canto Classics) (original 1983; edition 2012)

by Eric Hobsbawm, Terence Ranger (Editor)

Member:EscritoraSarita
Title:The Invention of Tradition (Canto Classics)
Authors:Eric Hobsbawm
Other authors:Terence Ranger (Editor)
Info:Cambridge University Press (2012), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 326 pages
Tags:read in 2012, read for class, history, scotland, wales, england

The Invention of Tradition by Eric Hobsbawm (Editor) (1983)

Os autores dos ensaios desse livro mostram como tradições que consideramos antigas foram na verdade inventadas em tempos relativamente recentes. E como isso foi utilizado para inventar uma coesão social, para legitimar instituições e para inculcar comportamentos e códigos de conduta. Os autores se concentram no Império Britânico - com trechos excelentes sobre as highlands escocesas e sobre os rituais que cercam a monarquia - mas a provocativa expressão tradição inventada tem sido usada para falar de outros temas, como as artes marciais no Japão e as grandes religiões. ( )
  JuliaBoechat | Mar 30, 2013 |
Not the worst of it's kind but there were parts that just dragged.

This is a selection of essays about the invention of tradition, largely in the 19th Century.

Starts with an introduction by Eric Hobsbawm which is pretty dry. The enthusiasm that Hugh Trevor-Roper has for his topic of Highland Tradition of Scotland made things quite readable. Prys Morgan's view of the Welsh is good but drier, David Cannadine's look at the crowning of the royals in England was quite timely for me, as I just visited London and they both complimented each other. The last three were quite dry and I almost didn't finish reading them, still there were interesting in their own ways.

Bernard S Cohn writes about the invention of tradition in colonial India to keep authority and Terence Ranger's piece on Africa are interesting studies in slightly contrasting and slightly differing methods of work. The last by Eric Hobsbawm touches on how the era produced so many traditions and how many of these have persisted to this day.

It's not a bad book but it isn't quite as populist as I really wanted from the topic. Still if it's something you're studying it's probably quite a good read. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jun 4, 2009 |
All traditions were new once upon a time. This book shows us that some of them are younger than we believe. It also shows us why we invent tradtions. Sometimes the reason is political, and sometimes we need these traditions to define our own identity as a member of a group.

Overall a good book, but some essays are more interesting than others. And some essays have very interesting topics but lack in detail or style. I liked the ones about Scottish tradition and the ceremonies of the English monarchy best. ( )
  Rodo | Apr 29, 2009 |
some of its chapters, especially those by Hobsbawm and Ranger, are gems. A necessary demystification of the tradition thing, now almost mainstream in progressive academia ( )
  experimentalis | Jan 3, 2008 |
How immemorial traditions turn out to be quire recent (often Victorian and Edwardian) inventions.
  Fledgist | Jul 21, 2007 |

Hobsbawm, EricEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ranger, TerenceEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cannadine, DavidContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cohn, Bernard S.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Morgan, PrysContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Trevor-Roper, HughContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cavalcante, Celina CardimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Many of the traditions which we think of as very ancient in their origins were not in fact sanctioned by long usage over the centuries, but were invented comparatively recently. This book explores examples of this process of invention - the creation of Welsh and Scottish 'national culture'; the elaboration of British royal rituals in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries; the origins of imperial rituals in British India and Africa; and the attempts by radical movements to develop counter-traditions of their own. It addresses the complex interaction of past and present, bringing together historians and anthropologists in a fascinating study of ritual and symbolism which poses new questions for the understanding of our history.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:57 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible