Dickey Chapelle Under Fire: Photographs by…

Dickey Chapelle Under Fire: Photographs by the First American Female War… (2015)

by John Garofolo

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Foreign war correspondent and photographer Georgette "Dickey" Chapelle's biography is revealed through her photographs and words. Dickey broke the gender bearer for future female correspondents with her reporting of military actions during World War 2 for National Geographic, including the battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa. After the war, she traveled the world recording multiple war zones until her death during the Vietnam Conflict in 1965 while traveling with the Marines. Her work earned her a full military funeral, with Marine Honor Guard. Dickey was the first female war correspondent to be killed in action.
  ktoonen | May 16, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The text in this book tell the story of Dickey Chapelle- from her childhood to the challenge of becoming a female reporter, to her time in war zones. It combines personal accounts, letters from Dickey herself, and other research... but the most memorable things are the pictures taken by Dickie herself. This book is both a touching tribute and harsh reminder of the dangers of war. Anyone with an interest in history, war, journalism, or feminism should check this out. For that matter- pretty much everyone should at least flip through the pages of this book. Dickey's story and photots will leave you changed.
  PirateColey | Mar 24, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Of the 236 years that the United States of America has been a country, we have been in some conflict of war for 214 years of them. Through the decades, many war correspondence (mostly men) have brought us into the heat of battle with riveting stories from the frontline. One such journalist captured those images on her camera. The book Dickey Chapelle Under Fire: Photographs by the First Female War Correspondent Killed in Action by John Garofolo is a 162-page tribute to Dickey through snapshots taken during World War II in the Pacific up to the Vietnam War. As the pages turned showing black and white photos taken by Dickey, author Garofolo also brings you insight into her fascinating life. This book is a devotion to the people that she photographed, now coming out 50 years after her death in Vietnam, where a landmine killed her. A true adventurer her images will now live on forever showing the actual story of war. After reading this book, I became more interested in who Dickey was, so I highly recommend a biography on her by Roberta Ostroff entitled in the Wind: The Life of Dickey Chapelle. ( )
  JCGirl | Feb 25, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was immediately touched by this book's record of a female war correspondent! I knew people who were in the Vietnam war while I was in college in the 1960's. The photos are just incredible. Everyone should see this portrayal of war, as you will see the human side of news reports and the gruesomeness of war. This is a meaningful book about a person who did some meaningful work and I am glad to see it published at last. It is a timeless saga.
  CoriatLib | Feb 25, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fittingly, the story of a photojournalist is told with pictures not words. Garofolo provides a one-page introduction and then lets Chapelle's photos do the rest, Her photos bring out the sides of conflict that frequently get overlooked: training, camp life, care of the wounded. Overdue recognition of a brilliant photographer has finally arrived. ( )
  Hedgepeth | Jan 9, 2016 |
Garofolo, an Iraq War veteran and former entertainment industry executive, assembles the first-ever collection of the work of Georgette "Dickey" Chappelle, who pursued a photojournalism career at a time when practically no women did, beginning in WWII. ...But it's a colleague's photo that haunts this book: the 47-year-old Chapelle laying mortally wounded after being hit by shrapnel while on patrol with Marines in South Vietnam. The commandant of the Marine Corps called Chapelle "one of us," and her body of work surely deserves the wider recognition this book provides. 153 b&w photos.
added by mysterymax | editPublisher's Weekly

For all And for veterans and wounded warriors, brave men and women who served their country and those who continue their legacy of service and sacrifice.  For the families who support them, suffer their loss, and serve as a constant reminder of what's worth fighting for Diana.  I love you to infinity and beyond.

"It was dawn before I fell asleep, and later in the morning I was only half-awake as I fed a fresh sheet of paper into the typewriter and began to copy the notes from the previous day out of my book. But I wasn't too weary to type the date line firmly as if I'd been writing date lines all my life:

from the front at iwo jima march 5--

Then I remembered and added two words.

under fire--

They looked great."

In 1965, Wisconsin native Georgette "Dickey" Chapelle became the first female American war correspondent to be killed in action. Now, "Dickey Chapelle Under Fire" shares her remarkable story and offers readers the chance to experience Dickey's wide-ranging photography, including several photographs taken during her final patrol in Vietnam.

In "Dickey Chapelle Under Fire," the American public can see the world through Dickey's lens for the first time in almost fifty years, with a foreword by Jackie Spinner, former war correspondent for "The Washington Post."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0870207180, Hardcover)

from the front at iwo jima march 5--
Then I remembered and added two words.
under fire--
They looked great."

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 24 Jul 2015 15:10:04 -0400)

Dickey Chapelle fought to be taken seriously as a war correspondent and broke down gender barriers for future generations of female journalists. She embedded herself with military units on front lines around the globe, including Iwo Jima and Okinawa, the Dominican Republic, and Vietnam. Dickey sometimes risked her life to tell the story--after smuggling aid to refugees fleeing Hungary, she spent almost two months in a Hungarian prison. For twenty-five years, Dickey's photographs graced the pages of "National Geographic," the "National Observer," "Life," and others. Her tenacity, courage, and compassion shine through in her work, highlighting the human impact of war while telling the bigger story beyond the battlefield.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John Garofolo's book Dickey Chapelle was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,395,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible