Ship Captain's Daughter: Growing Up on the…

Ship Captain's Daughter: Growing Up on the Great Lakes

by Ann Michler Lewis

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great biography about growing up by the Great Lakes. Ann Lewis tells her story of growing up as the daughter of a Great Lakes shipping captain. As a frequent visitor to the Duluth area for family vacations, watching the big ships come under the lift bridge was an exciting event and it was interesting to see the perspective of someone connected to those ships. The stories of Ann's life traveling with her father were engaging. I especially liked the story about her getting to drive the ship! She tells of going aboard to visit while her father was in port, traveling on the ship with her father, and also of her father's last command. The book is short, but a wonderful read and I would have loved to hear more! ( )
  purplethings | Mar 5, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's a collection of incidents about Ann Lewis' father's captain life based on recollections from her childhood and the photos she has from that era. The anecdotes do not necessarily have a point, they're just memories. They're all matter of fact recollections, there's no agenda here other than to recount this lifestyle that is from a bygone era. There's no story arc other than her early memories to her final relevant ones. It's just ordinary life with no flashes or surprises. Probably interesting from a historical perspective, but not from a literary perspective.

I received this book from LibraryThing ER. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Feb 17, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A brief memoir of the author's life, the book mainly covers the 1950s and 60s and what it was like for the author to grow up with a ship's Captain for a father. The author describes her memories and gives an idea of what it was like to sail the Great Lakes and also delves into her relationship with her father and her understanding of who he is. The book is filled with pictures to further the reader's understanding, but I think it would have been beneficial to have a map of the Great Lakes detailing the ports, locks, etc. ( )
  Maripacs | Feb 12, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a wonderful read. The memoirs of Ann Lewis growing up as the daughter of a Great Lakes ship Captain. I live in the mountains so this was pretty much all new to me. I have never been to the Lake Superior but the author transported me there through her stories. She tugged at my heart strings talking about missing her father when it was shipping season and how she and her Mom would go to other ports to meet up with him. The author did a great job of putting her memories to paper and bringing the reader along for sail through her past.

I was given a copy of this book for the purpose of review. ( )
  WillowOne | Feb 8, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An easy read, Ann Lewis' book appealed to me very much. Having grown up in the Great Lakes region in the late 1950s and 1960s, I spent many summers along Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, and especially the St. Lawrence Seaway. One summer my family took a trip along the Canadian side of Lake Huron and crossed back into the U.S. over the Mackinaw Bridge. The locks were fascinating and we saw many of the ships described in the book. I remember the water having a brownish tint to it, although clear; and finding lots of stones and rocks of a rusty color from the iron ore in them. Swimming in and fishing on the St. Lawrence River, we frequently saw the ships passing by. Reading about life onboard the ships and life as a seafarer's family was interesting. The book is well written, with excellent grammar and punctuation. I read it in one sitting and was completely engrossed in this delightful autobiographical memoir. I was delighted to have my own memories of the Great Lakes come back to me as I read. ( )
  leesgirl1973 | Feb 1, 2016 |

Ann Lewis's childhood was marked by an unusual rhythm. Each year the thawing and freezing of the Great Lakes signaled the beginning and end of the shipping season, months of waiting that were punctuated by brief trips to various ports to meet her father, the captain.

With lively storytelling and vivid details, Lewis captures the unusual life of shipping families whose days and weeks revolved around the shipping industry on the Great Lakes. She paints an intriguing and affectionate portrait of her father, a talented pianist whose summer job aboard an ore freighter led him to a life on the water. Working his way up from deckhand to ship captain, Willis Michler became the master of thirteen ships over a span of twenty-eight years. From the age of twelve, Ann accompanied the captain to the ports of Milwaukee, Chicago, Toledo, and Cleveland on the lower Great Lakes. She describes sailing through stormy weather and starry nights, visiting the engine room, dining at the captain's table, and wheeling the block-long ship with her father in the pilot house. Through her mother's stories and remarks, Lewis also reveals insights into the trials and rewards of being a ship captain's wife. The book is enhanced by the author's vintage snapshots, depicting this bygone lifestyle.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 087020730X, Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 24 Jul 2015 15:15:06 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ann Michler Lewis's book Ship Captain's Daughter was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,422,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible