Maggie's Turn by Deanna Lynn Sletten

by Deanna Lynn Sletten

113,689,591 (3)None
Recently added byKris_Anderson

No tags.

I have finished reading a contemporary novel called Maggie’s Turn by Deanna Lynn Sletten. Maggie Harrison has been married for twenty-three years. Andrew, her husband, has become very self-absorbed. He expects to be able to go and do his job and that Maggie will take care of everything. They have two children. Kyle is nineteen, going to college (and not doing well), and has a job working on motorcycles (which he loves). Kaia is fourteen, stubborn, and a typical teenager. Maggie is tired of taking care of everyone and needs a break. She is forgetting who she is and her dreams. One day Maggie drops off Kaia at school (the kid does not have to take the bus) and keeps on driving. She has her camera, laptop, phone, and credit cards. Maggie starts driving west from Woodroe, Minnesota with no destination in mind.

When Andrew arrives home, there is no dinner cooking. He has a meeting that evening and reminded Maggie that he needed to eat on time. Andrew has been working hard at work as well as serving on various committees around town. He wants to project a certain image because he is thinking of running for mayor. There is not note and Maggie is not answering her phone. Andrew leaves Kaia at home and goes off to his meeting. He is sure that he will hear from Maggie soon (he is wrong). Andrew is in for a long couple of weeks.

Maggie feels free for the first time in many years and is enjoying taking photographs. She has always loved photography and wanted to open a small gallery/shop in town to sell her own work and the artwork of others. Maggie is on a journey of self-discovery. Along the way she will encounter three people who will help her and guide her.

Andrew is going to find out how to get along without Maggie taking care of all the things Andrew has taken for granted. He has not had to shop, take the kids to school, do laundry, cook, take care of the dog, or any of these other details for many, many years. If Andrew wants to save his marriage, he needs to re-evaluate his life, his choices, and his priorities. This will also give him a chance to reconnect with his children (and see what great kids he has).

Maggie’s Turn was an interesting story, but it is very similar to another book I recently read (though not as good). I give Maggie’s Turn 3 out of 5 stars. The book is easy to read with a nice writing style. I was just not wowed by the book. Though I can certainly understand Maggie wanting to just get away from everything and all her responsibilities. Any woman with children will be able to relate to Maggie in Maggie’s Turn.

I received a complimentary copy of Maggie’s Turn from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The review and opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jul 24, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,727,355 books! | Top bar: Always visible