Saving Wonder by Mary Knight

by Mary Knight

46None251,994 (5)None

No reviews
Wisdom begins in wonder. -Socrates
In loving memory of Other Daddy, who gave his daughters a love for words, and Mom, who passed it on
Ever since I can remember, Papaw's been giving me words.
Raising her cupped hand to the sky, she turns and offers blessings to each of the four directions, and then, facing into the circle, she adds three more - above, below, and within. At least, I think she means "within," since she's tapping her fist gently over her heart. I never thought about "within" as being a direction, but now that I think about it, there are days when so much is going on inside me, that's the only direction I see. (p. 225)
"Curley, you know I'm not a churchgoing man, but I do believe in something. That something, call it God, call it Love, cat it the Great Cosmic Glue for all I care - that something is always saying yes to our dreams, even when it looks like everything's falling apart. The secret to findour our way to those dreams is in saying yes back."
/ "When we lost your ma and little Zeb, there was no way I could have said yes to that loss. But I did find the way to say yes to you. / " ... if you can't say yes [to one thing] ... try to find a way say yes to something else." (p. 269)

Having lost most of his family to coal mining accidents as a little boy, Curley Hines lives with his grandfather in the Appalachian Mountains of Wonder Gap, Kentucky. Ever since Curley can remember, Papaw has been giving him a word each week to learn and live. Papaw says words are Curley's way out of the holler, even though Curley has no intention of ever leaving.

When a new coal boss takes over the local mining company, life as Curley knows it is turned upside down. Suddenly, his best friend, Jules, is interested in the coal boss's son, and worse, the mining company threatens to destroy Curley and Papaw's mountain. Now Curley faces a difficult choice. Does he use his words to speak out against Big Coal and save his mountain, or does he remain silent and save his way of life?

From debut author Mary Knight comes a rich, lyrical, and utterly transporting tale about friendship, the power of words, and the difficult hurdles we must overcome for the people and places we love.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 01 Sep 2015 08:11:55 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,931,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible