Night Play (Dark-Hunter, Book 6) by…

Night Play (Dark-Hunter, Book 6) (edition 2004)

by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Member:dmhauser
Title:Night Play (Dark-Hunter, Book 6)
Authors:Sherrilyn Kenyon
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2004), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, 2013-Read

Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon

English (37)  German (1)  All languages (38)
For this review and more, pop by my blog - Drugs Called Books

This is the first in the Dark Hunter series I was totally IN LOVE with. It is also the first one I'm writing a proper review for. Before, I enjoyed the Dark Hunter books. But they didn't quite blow my mind, and I never had too much to say about them. Well, Vane, the darling hero for this book, sure changed that...

Before I start with this review, let me explain a bit about the dark hunter series for those who have been living under a rock and haven't heard of it; Dark Hunters are creatures of the night, created to hunt and kill Daimons, soul-sucking vampires who feed on human souls to stay alive. The Dark Hunters are strong, deadly, and undead.
They also have almost nothing to do with this story, so I really don't know why this one counts as part of it. LOL.

Night Play is set in the same world and time as the Dark Hunter series. In fact, we get to meet one of the past Dark Hunters; Kyrian, and his family, as well as Val, the Dark Hunter who's featured in the next book. We also get to see Ash, the supreme leader of the Dark Hunters, but the main characters of the book are not dark hunters, unlike the other books I've read in the series so far.

Vane, the main male character, is an Arcadian - a human who can change his form into that of a wolf. He is really one of the cutest, most charming and sweet main characters I've encountered.

Vain is part animal - he doesn't get the human way, doesn't lie or deceive. He is not really familiar with the "rules" of dating and courting a female, so watching him with Bride, the human the Fates decreed to be his mate, was just plain adorable. He got nervous and scared and confused in such a manner that you can't help but AWWW at him and give him a mental hug.

Bride, Vane's human mate and female main character, is a girl we can all relate to, I think. Unless you're a Victoria Secret's model. She's the "normal" girl. The one who's always been more on the chubby side (at least, that's the way she thinks of herself - and having an ex who constantly put her on diets doesn't help that). She's the one in and out of diets, but always ends up gaining back the pounds. The one who doesn't really understand what a sexy, hot man like Vane can possibly want from her. She is self conscious, and a "realist". It's not that she's putting herself down - she just knows the truth about herself.
Good thing Vane is there to show her she is wrong.

And really, that is the charm and crux of their relationship, of why this romance appeals to me on so many levels. It's because here comes this guy who doesn't want Bride to ever change.

He doesn't want her thinner, better looking, or to be more anything. He thinks she is the most beautiful woman he has ever lied eyes on, and he makes her feel that way as well.
It's the kind of relationship I envy and want for myself.

And if that's not enough, we got to see Ash, Kyrian, Amanda, Val and Thabita. It was lovely seeing the family Kyrian built with Amanda, and I simply loved watching Ash with the kids. My favorite part of every book is when we see Ash out of the "character" the Dark Hunters thinks he has, which is when he plays with his former dark hunter's kids, or with Simi, his demon.

This book was also such a grin inducing book! I swear, the grin never left my face for long. If it wasn't Vane who made me smile, then it was Bride, or Fury, or Ash, or Simi. Really! I either grinned at the cuteness or the hilariousness of the character.

Also, this book made me so excited to read both Ash, Fury and Val's books!

Yep, I L-O-V-E-D this book!

Honestly, I recommend this series as a whole, not just this book. You'll understand it a lot better if you read the former books (though you don't have to), and also they're great fun. It's true that until now I wasn't blown away by them, but they're still a great thing to pass time with, and they're very enjoyable.

If you enjoyed this review, I would love it if you visit my personal book-review blog; Drugs Called Books ( )
  Nitzan_Schwarz | Sep 25, 2013 |
Another Author Spotlight re-read. This was my favorite Dark Hunter book back in the day. Some things bothered me about it more this time, but overall I enjoyed it.

Of course Bride's constant whining about how Vane couldn't really love her and Vane's constant whining about how Bride would be better without him got old, I still enjoyed their romance.

The cheesy dialogue stuck out more this time around. Way more. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
The Kategari are a race of creatures born as an animal but able to shift into a man. The Arcadians are a race of creatures born as a man but able to shift into an animal. Both races are gifted with incredible magic powers and both races loathe the other and have been fighting a long genocidal war with the other without rules or mercy since ancient Greece.

Verne’s mother was an Arcadian and his father a Katagari. Both loathe him and want him dead, along with his siblings and after the death of Anya, his sister and Vane’s actions protecting the Dark Hunters, his father has a perfect excuse to order his death

He’s now on the run, grieving for his sister, worried for his comatose brother and fleeing the attention of his father’s pack – and even his mother launching attacks across time.

And then he meets Bride, a woman with whom he is destined to mate – and if she doesn’t accept the mating in the next 3 weeks, he is doomed to a life of celibacy. But is avoiding this fate – and being with the woman he loves – really worth risking Bride’s life; a human who knows nothing of the supernatural world.

He now has the uphill battle of protecting Bride, adapting to human society and introducing Bride to the hidden world, all under fire from his parents – and deciding whether to truly try and make a life with Bride or not.

I think this book set a new record for a Dark Hunter’s book for speed in which the relationship was established. There’s Vane, walking down the street, worried because his brother’s in a coma, worried about his dad and pack leader who wants him dead and grieving for his dead sister Anya. And then he sees Bride! The most beautiful woman in the world! And she is sad! There must now be hot/hard/sexiness and then kissing then making out and then the hot monkey sex! HUZZAH!

And there is Bride. She’s sad because her arsehole boyfriend dumped her - but then she sees Vane! And he is so hot/sexy/awesome! Bring on the kissing and the making out and the hot monkey sex! HUZZAH!

As far as complex romances go it’s not exactly the most nuanced or complex of beginnings. 2 people see each other. Think they’re both hot. Sex happens, magic steps in to firmly stamp Twu Luv on things. They have 3 weeks to decide to bond in metaphysical marriage or Vane will be forever celibate.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
Very good Were story. The main characters really had chemistry and I love how Bride gets through any hang ups.

In this book you really get introduced to the were-hunters and acolites. There are a bunch of twists that you somewhat see coming but interesting. The were-world becomes much more complex and more defined. New characters with future stories abound and they are compelling. ( )
  tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |
Still an interesting series. Each story seems to be moving the plot forward. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 13, 2013 |
For my husband and sons who are my world. For all my friends who are there through thick and thin: Lo, Janet, Brynna, Tasha, "Nick," Dara, Ret, Cathy, Donna, Chris, Rebecca, and Kim.

To the DH fans all over the globe who make the world of the website and loops thrive and who give me endless hours of smiles -- I wish I had space to list all of you by name, but from the bottom of my heart, thank you. For my RBL sister who are always there and for my readers who make it all worth while. I can never, never thank you enough.

To Kim and Nancy for all the hard work you do and for still allowing me to take the DH to the outer limits of my imagination and beyond. And I haven't forgotten either of you, Alethea and Nicole!

Words can never truly express just how much I adore all of you and how much you mean to me.

May God bless and keep you all. Hugs!
Come with me, modern traveler, back to a time that has been shrouded by mystery.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312992424, Mass Market Paperback)

She just never expected her knight in shining armor to have a shiny coat of fur...

Deadly and tortured, Vane Kattalakis isn't what he seems. Most women lament that their boyfriends are dogs. In Bride's case, hers is a wolf. A Were-Hunter wolf. Wanted dead by his enemies, Vane isn't looking for a mate. But the Fates have marked Bride as his. Now he has three weeks to either convince Bride that the supernatural is real or he will spend the rest of his life neutered--something no self-respecting wolf can accept...

But how does a wolf convince a human to trust him with her life when his enemies are out to end his? In the world of the Were-Hunters, it really is dog-eat-dog. And only one alpha male can win.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:29 -0400)

Bride McTierney has had it with men. They're cheap, self-centered, and never love her for who she is. But though she prides herself on being independent, deep down she still yearns for a knight in shining armor. She just never expected her knight in shining armor to have a shiny coat of fur. Her boyfriend is a Were-Hunter wolf who is wooing her to be his mate.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,993,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible