Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunters) by Sherrilyn…

Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunters) (edition 2009)

by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Member:mschweer432
Title:Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunters)
Authors:Sherrilyn Kenyon
Info:St. Martin's Press (2009), Edition: Special Edition, Hardcover, 320 pages

Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon

English (78)  Spanish (1)  All languages (79)
I'm glad I read Ash's book prior this one. It probably changed my reaction to his appearances and the whole origins of the Dark Hunters thing. More depth, maybe; not that this series or book is more deep than the usual PNR books.

Which isn't a criticism. Just that it is fairly typical of the genre that each book centers on a couple, pretty much if not completely outright fated mates. In this one, it was immortal-centuries-old-Kyrian-Greek-Prince-during-Roman-invasions-turned-DarkHunter and

somewhat-innocent-new-to-powers-sorceress-Amanda-modern-accountant.

I liked Kyrian and Amanda. So, liked their story. Neither was an asshat or TSTL. Fairly explicit (maybe even skim-worthy explicit sex), but no dubious consent or some supernatural whatsit compulsion factor. Without being too spoiler-y, I really liked that the conclusion didn't require one of them to act totally out of character. Not really an in-line-with-internal-logic of the series explanation of the villain, though.

As much as I enjoyed this one, the preview of Talon's story at back of the ebook I read makes the next book sound way more interesting. ( )
  Spurts | Dec 30, 2018 |
Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Book #1 in the Dark Hunters series.
4 Stars

Synopsis:
Unlike the other members of her family, Amanda Deveraux is not enamored of the supernatural. She is, therefore, unimpressed upon finding herself handcuffed to Kyrian of Thrace, a former Macedonian commander reincarnated as a vampire, or Dark Hunter, and sworn to protect humanity from soul-sucking demons. As they grow closer both emotionally and physically, Amanda and Kyrian must overcome their individual fears in order to rid the world of the dangerous demonic foe fixated on destroying them first.

Review:
Let me preface this review with a disclaimer that while I enjoy paranormal romances involving psychics, ghosts and shape shifters, I am not a fan of vampires. That said, I like the premise of the Dark Hunters perhaps because they are not vampires in the traditional sense, but rather creations established on the basis of Greek mythology, which is one of my academic interests.
The characters are endearing, especially Kyrian, whose tortured past contributed greatly to my enjoyment of the book. The world of the Dark Hunters is unique, intricate and imaginative, and I look forward to the incorporation of various mythologies in future installments. Unfortunately, Kenyon’s imagination does not extend to the formulaic storyline, or the insipid and clichéd descriptions of her male characters. There are also numerous references to popular culture, which may irritate some readers. Lastly, I was disappointed by the incongruity between the origins of the characters and their use of modern language, which seems inconsistent with their characterization. The reading experience would be better served if they used more period appropriate language and dialect.
Recommendation: Overall, this book is a solid beginning to the series and I recommend reading it. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I was looking forward to this book as I really enjoyed Fantasy Lover.. but I only made it to like the second or third chapter.. there was soo many clichés and "saying" and the way the author made the character's speak to each other was just plain ridiculous..... That was just too bad... perhaps I will try it again.. but probably not. Wonder if all the other books are written like this? ( )
  MyaB | Apr 25, 2018 |
PopSugar '16 #26--A book and its prequel. This is the book, Fantasy Lover is the prequel. ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
The author can write and wastes her talent on this crao. ( )
  Omegawega | Apr 1, 2018 |
For Kim Cardascia, who gives me the freedom to push past
the boundaries of my imagination, and Nancy Yost, who
keeps me sane while I do it.

To the Ladies of Sanctuary and the RBL Romanticans for all
the laughs and support you guys have given me and the
Dark-Hunter series. I lub all of you. Thanks for just being
you and for loving romance novels as much as i do!

For my friends without whom I would be eternally lost:
Rickey, Lo, Janet, Cathy-Max, Deb, Rebecca and Kim
Williamson.

To my husband and sons for your patience, your love, and
all the incredible happiness the four of you have added to
my life. And last but never least, for my family for being an
incredible source of support.
Born to extreme wealth, Kyrian of Thrace wielded charm and charisma as powerfully as he wielded his sword.
" Are you going to suck my blood?" "Do i look like a lawyer to you?" Kyrian

"oh god I just kissed a vampire!" - Amanda. "oh Gods, I just kissed a human" - Kyrian

"you look good for an old man. I wouldn't have put you a day over three hundred" - Amanda
"By the way touch the woman - or the lamborghini -
and you're a dead man" -Kyrian

"i really hate oracles. If i wanted to play mind games I'd buy a rubiks cube" Acheron.
"i'll be damned, you got laid" - Nick to kyrian
" I faced down an entire Roman legion with only a sword to protect me. Now, why would I be afraid of some two-bit, half- god daimon with and inferiority complex?" Kyrian.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312979983, Mass Market Paperback)

Dear Reader,

Have you ever wanted to know what it's like to be immortal? To journey through the night stalking the evil that preys on humans? To have unlimited wealth, unlimited power? That is my existence, and it is dark and dangerous. I play hero to thousands, but am known to none. And I love every minutes of it.

Or so I thought until one night when I woke up handcuffed to my worst nightmare: a conservative woman in a button-down shirt. Or in Amanda's case, one buttoned all the way up to her chin. She's smart, sexy, witty, and wants nothing to do with the paranormal--in other words, me.

My attraction to Amanda Devereaux goes against everything I stand for. Not to mention the last time I fell in love it cost me not only my human life, but also my very soul. Yet every time I look at her, I find myself wanting to try again. Wanting to believe that love and loyalty do exist.

Even more disturbing, I find myself wondering if there's any way a woman like Amanda can love a man whose battle scars run deep, and whose heart was damaged by a betrayal so savage that he's not sure it will ever beat again.

Kyrian of Thrace

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:03 -0400)

Amanda Deveraux, a straight-laced accountant who has tried to distance herself from her family of psychics and vampire hunters, is forced to come to grips with the reality of the supernatural when she wakes one morning to find herself handcuffed to Kyrian of Thrace, an immortal Dark-Hunter, and pursued by vampire Daimons.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,358,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible