Fling! by Lily Iona MacKenzie

Fling! is a delightful piece of magical realism that will be thoroughly enjoyed by anyone who loves this often overlooked subgenre. The main characters are funny, quirky and developed in an engaging way as the novel progresses. I was never bored at any moment while reading this amazing piece by MacKenzie.
I obtained an ARC of this book trough the Member Giveaway at LibraryThing. I would like to thank Lily Iona MacKenzie for providing the copy and for sharing this amusing magical realism story. ( )
  DoctorFate | Nov 27, 2015 |
A totally enjoyable novel with some zany characters that you'll love. Fiesty Bubbles is my favorite! She and her daughter, Feather, journey to Mexico to pick up the ashes of Bubbles' mother. Their trip is enlightening, full of adventure, and getting to know one another better. A perfect novel for a cozy weekend read.

I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway, my opinions are my own. ( )
  JoyAnne | Sep 15, 2015 |
Fling!...what I can say about this book??....what the heck did I just read??!!..and I don't mean that in a bad way at all. First word that comes to mind "Quirky"....that's the word that I have been using to describe this book to anyone who asks me what the book is about. Before I continue let me first give a big thanks to the powers-that-be over at LibraryThing to whom I won this book from and to the talented Lily Iona Mackenzie who wrote this "Quirky" book.

The story is about a weed smoking middle aged hippish woman by the name of Feather and her totally eccentric free spirited 90 year old mother Bubbles who still has a ton of life left in her. Yes, Feather and Bubbles. Like their names, they are quite the characters. I was captivated with them from start and that feeling never went away as I reached it's end. I am done with the book and they are with me still. They are hilarious in their quarreling banter, their relationship is so relating to the relationships that many mothers and adult daughters have with one another in the real world and it is spun in that realistically comical way...but this is not just comedic..there is depth to this story and to their lives throughout the book. Feather deals with her childhood abandonment by Bubbles, the same abandonment issues that Bubbles struggled to deal with when it came to her own mother..always trying to escape a doomed, mundane, financially struggling life even if it meant leaving behind their children. It's sad really...quite sad....but right before you are about to shed a tear, you end up with a chuckle. I loved that. So we meet Feather and Bubbles...and now we get to their story. All the way in Canada, Bubbles receives a letter from Mexico, her mother's last known residence. Her ashes have suddenly been recovered (she was dead years and years ago) and she must claim them. Feather was on her way to that area for a bit of a vacation and inspiration to her life's work and passion, Art (sculpting). Feather struggles with the idea of traveling from Canada to Mexico with her mother but yadda yadda yadda...we all get there and thankfully so. This is where the story gets even quirkier. The backdrop of a mystical poverty stricken but rich in culture and unity, Mexico is a paradise unlike any other..and during a time where entire villages celebrate the very infamous and very beautiful Dia De Los Muertos. These women were thrust right into the customs of this scary and strange new world. Strange and yet in many ways they fit right in....they belonged. I especially liked that the Author took us back and forth from Bubbles childhood years...growing up in Scotland, to Feather's life and her struggles throughout her years and right back to Mexico and the characters we encounter there. There are dead relatives 'revived' (so to speak) to life, a love affair with an animal turning Shaman, and Indians that worship the rain Goddess Eineeuq all while preparing for the Dia De Los Muertos celebrations!!!....Through death we learn about life...with that wee get mysticism, fantasy, and magic but wrapped into a very real world way....and that's about all you are gonna get from me.

I think I am going to share this book with my own eccentric mother...only because I know how to make sure I get my book back from the lady. But for everyone else in my life my greed is too strong so I am going to recommend they go out and buy the book. It's worth it!!! ( )
  dalaimomma | Sep 9, 2015 |
I just couldn't quite get into this book. I wish I had but something didn't click for me although I did very much enjoy the humor at times! ( )
  mootzymom | Aug 26, 2015 |
Jessie Voigt wrote the following on Amazon & Goodreads:
I recently read a novel that completely pulled me into the universe –and what a universe it is! Fling!, the new novel from writer and educator Lily Iona Mackenzie, is set in many countries. It’s at once a glimpse into new, interesting characters - and new, interesting worlds. It’s a saga that spans time, all at once. It’s color, and cold; light, and dark; memory, and forgetfulness; mothers, daughters, granddaughters; culture, and chaos. I love it.

Let me tell you why: I felt completely involved in the characters, family, and storyline. I rooted for some characters, felt puzzled at others, and felt champagne-like joy at the appearance of Annie (whom I just love). Fling! also covers the trickiness of mother/daughter relationships, and getting older. And, most importantly, Fling! offers the magic of possibility. That is pretty heady writing (and reading), and is what makes MacKenzie’s book a treasure to delve into deeply – and emerge happy, with a magical world in your memory. Highly recommended. ( )
  lilyionamackenzie | Jul 25, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Lily Iona MacKenzie's book Fling! was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Lily Iona MacKenzie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,465,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible