Primal Force (A K-9 Rescue Novel) by D. D.…

Primal Force (A K-9 Rescue Novel)

by D. D. Ayres

Physical Forces by D.D. Ayres
K-9 Rescue #6

Having read the blurb for this book I thought of other canine detective cozy mysteries I have read and knew that this book would not be like any of those. Why? Because the author of this series deals with issues that are a bit more intense and a whole lot more real. So, with that said and knowing I have liked every book I have read by this author, I was more than ready to read and enjoy this story – and I did just that while getting to know Mac and Oliver and Oliver’s K-9 partner, Jackeroo.

Macayla “Mac” Burkett is a Pet Detective/PI who finds lost, runaway and abducted domestic animals. She is very good at what she does but takes on other side jobs to augment her income. When Oliver Kelly, Australian co-owner of *BARKS, and Mac first lay eyes on one another they both make assumptions that are dead wrong about who/what the other person is. From their first encounter to Oliver’s stepping in to help Mac out of a situation or two and then her return of the favor later on when he faces something he is dreading they seem to have an affinity and attraction that is rather strong – though neither really expects more than a brief encounter due to the limited time Oliver is in town. Add into this the fact that someone is setting Mac up for dog-napping, extortion, the fact that her life is in danger and other issues from the past that they are both dealing with and you end up with a complex well written novel that is action-packed, intriguing and at times steamy. Catching up with some of the characters (briefly) from previous books was also fun. I am hopeful this will not be the last book in the series because I want to know that this HFN story has a HEA ending in the future…along with wanting to read another K-9 Rescue love story.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the ARC – this is my honest review.

*BARKS = Bolt Action Rescue K-9 Service - trained and supervised professional K-9 Search And Rescue teams worldwide.)

4.5 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | May 28, 2017 |
A pretty good story. Macaulay is a pet detective, she rescues lost animals. And Oliver works for a search and rescue unit and has a faithful K-9 partner Jackeroo. The first time Mac meet's Oliver she mistakes him for a stripper, he so "hot", and he thinks she was dumpster diving for food, it was quite funny.
The story progresses into more serious matters however when Macayla is accused of petnapping her for money, and the thrills and intrigue are abound.
I found the story a little choppy at times and the suspense rating was very low. I did enjoy the book but would have liked a more intense storyline. ( )
  JulieD2 | May 25, 2017 |
Tori is an ex-con who served her time, even though she didn’t rightfully belong there to begin with. Now she’s trying to rehabilitate her life by training service dogs. As part of her job she gets involved with a military police veteran, Law, who was wounded in Afghanistan. He doesn’t think he needs a service dog and rebels at having one in his life. It’s Jori’s job to make sure that dog, Samantha, stays there. When she’s instantly attracted to Law she tries not to get involved, but as events evolve, they both seem to be in deeper than they realize…and they’re not liking it at all.

In my opinion, D. D. Ayres makes a story worth reading! Primal Force is detailed, without you even realizing it. You get a complete story at the same time you’re glued to each and every page as the story unfolds. The characters rebel against any type of relationship which makes it more interesting, as they interact with chips on their shoulders and a desire that won’t quit. It’s great to see how the characters soften toward each other as circumstances break apart and show their strengths and weaknesses. The rebellion presents itself in many ways, often in a sexual manner. The hero and heroine each protect the other and emotions run high throughout the story. I love this A K-9 Rescue Series and D. D. Ayres is one of my new favorite authors. Each book is filled with suspense, excitement, and sexual tension. This is edge-of-your-seat reading at it’s finest! 5 Stars! ( )
  Bookshellz | Oct 8, 2015 |
My goodness, I fell pretty hard for Law! There's just something about a wounded warrior that just grabs hold and won't let go, especially when he thinks he's better off alone. Thankfully, Jori and Sam saw through his walls and got the results that were needed. Now I'm looking forward to reading Yardley's story.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. ( )
  amdrane2 | Sep 8, 2015 |
Wonderful! I absolutely loved this book!

Two wounded souls doing their best to create a new life after having their old ones destroyed find themselves brought together through Samantha, Golden Doodle extraordinaire, a service dog trained to become the partner of a wounded military veteran.

Lauray “Law” Battisse has lost a leg, developed PTSD and is fighting demons not only related to his war experiences. Jordan “Jori” Garrison is an ex-con hired by Warriors Wolf Pack to help train dogs like Samantha. There is immediate attraction between Law and Jori and no promises are made by either when they get together for a steamy afternoon together.

What did I love about this novel?
• The insight into the characters – whether one, two or four legged
• The relationship of Jori and Law as it develops
• The interaction between Law and Samantha as it develops
• The inherent goodness and strength of character exhibited by Jori, Law and Samantha
• Being able to dislike the bad guys and hope for their eventual downfall
• The hints into what it might be like for some of the returning injured vets and their families
• The quality of writing that made me smile, feel and care
• Wanting to know what happens to Yardley – hoping she will get a book of her own.
• And, so much more!

Thank you to NetGalley and Saint Martin’s Press for the copy of this book to read and review. ( )
  CathyGeha | Aug 16, 2015 |

Jori Garrison trains dogs for Warrior Wolf Pack, which provides service animals for disabled veterans. Four years ago, she was wrongly convicted of a crime--thanks to her no-good ex- fiance. Now she just wants to live her life in peace with her beloved dogs. No men, no complications. But it's hard to play it cool when a lethally hot male is on her tail--and the attraction is fierce, mutual, and dangerous. Lauray "Law" Batisse is a Military Police veteran who was wounded in Afghanistan. Haunted by the loss of his K-9 partner in combat, he's reluctant to accept a service dog named Samantha into his life. But once he meets her trainer--the gorgeous Jori Garrison--he can't fight his primal instincts. And neither can Jori. This sexy alpha male might be the only man strong enough to unleash her desires. And when unseen enemies start hunting them down, he and his new K-9 partner might be her only hope ... to survive.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible