What Should You Do Before You Say I Do? by…

What Should You Do Before You Say "I Do?"

by David Lewis, Elizabeth Lewis

322,001,085 (4.33)None

What Should You Do, Before You say “I Do”? by David & Elizabeth Lewis

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

Rating: 3 stars

Summary:

Before you get married, all couples should think intensely about what they want in a marriage. From a Christian perspective, and with Christ at the center, David & Elizabeth present a book that is from both a man’s perspective as well as a woman’s.

Review:

This was definitely an interesting read. I’ve never read a book like this before, so it stood out to me more than the other books I’ve read before. As a Christian, I found this book to be helpful with the references that are given, and explained to a degree. I really like the concept, and I think it’s wonderful that a husband & wife wrote this together in order to help other young Christian couples. They had a lot of good points, and helped me see a few things I should talk about with my boyfriend before we get married. The writing was formal, but it wasn’t so much so that I felt like I was reading a lecture.
My problems with this were few, and not overwhelming. To me, the book didn’t flow quite right. The wording had a tendency to feel awkward at time, and some sentences just didn’t read correctly in my head. I would have also enjoyed more explanation on the Scripture given. While they did a wonderful job of including verses in their chapters, I think more explanation about why they’re relevant would have been nice. I understand this is from personal relationship, but I believe some facts and information from outside sources would have helped with proving their points. Many of the things they pointed out that should be discussed in a serious relationship are things that I already knew, and have already discussed. This could just be personal though, and someone else might benefit from these. This book did seem short to me, so it’s definitely a quick and easy read. All in all, it was somewhat thought provoking, but I’m not sure I would purchase the next one. ( )
  LanaWaltosz | Sep 10, 2015 |
I received a copy of this book from the authors through a giveaway on LibraryThing and the following is my honest opinion for it.

Unlike most books on this subject which have been written either by a man or a woman, David and Elizabeth Lewis, a husband and a wife, have joined forces to write about their own experiences and to share it with others.

One of the things which have played a vital part in their experience is their equal religious beliefs in G-d; which can be seen as they’re continuously using appropriate quotes from the bible and relating them to the aspect they’re writing about.

As can be seen by the table of contents the book is divided into two segments, the Female’s Perspective and the Male’s Perspective. They’re each then followed by an introduction which deals with how society and sexes look at relationships and marriage. This is this is then followed with questions each sex should be asking themselves before walking down the aisle and entering into the bounds of matrimony.

I read this book twice; first with reading the biblical quotations and then skipping over them. What I found is that even without them this book still gives simple sound advice we all need to listen to before having to answer those “I DOs.”

Without being disrespectful to the book’s authors, touting the religious aspects of this book, I believe, diminishes the possible audience this book can actually get.

In the end, I’m left debating whether I should give this book 4 or 5 STARS. But since I need to look at the precise audience these authors have written the book for, I’m accordingly giving it 5 STARS. ( )
1 vote MyPenNameOnly | Aug 15, 2015 |

David Lewisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lewis, Elizabethmain authorall editionsconfirmed

David Lewis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,813,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible