Frog on a Log? by Kes Gray

Frog on a Log?

by Kes Gray

This is an humorous book to help teach students about rhyming words. The students can have fun by guessing what each animal is that the next animal will sit on. In the book the cat tells the frog that all frogs have to sit on logs, but the frog does not want to sit on a log. The cat continues to tell the frog all the different places other animals have to sit. This would be great for a low to middle level class needing to learn about rhyming words. ( )
  hannahcole | May 1, 2017 |
This book is a great book for rhyming words. In the book a cat tells the frog that all frogs must sit on logs. The frog does not want to sit on a log because they are not comfortable, but the cat tells him all animals have certain places to sit. It would be a great book to read aloud to your class and students could try to guess what each animal sits on. ( )
  Hanleighearle | Apr 26, 2017 |
This is my favorite picture book of 2017 and that's saying quite a lot. I liked it so much in fact that I bought a copy for myself and a copy for my mom (if you know mom then you know why I did this). It's a hilarious, rhyming story about a frog who thinks that the rule that all frogs sit on logs (told to him by a wiseacre cat) is unfair because logs are uncomfortable. What follows is the cat informing the frog about the rules of where certain animals are allowed to sit. (Look out for the fleas and make sure you ask the little people you're reading with to find them for you.) If you're using this in a storytime, I encourage you to read with panache and infuse the cat with lots of exasperated attitude. It's a fantastically fun experience when you get your audience invested enough to be shocked by the ending (which is hysterical by the way). The illustrations are absolutely adorable (I'm going to be looking for more works by Jim Field I think) and create another layer of playfulness which I appreciated. I highly recommend this book for anyone and everyone (but especially those who work or live with small children). 10/10

Note: It seems that in the UK where this was originally published it was titled Oi Frog! which puzzles me mightily. Also, there's a sequel which is out and which I must get my hands on titled Oi Dog! (I don't get why they would change the name here in the US). ( )
  AliceaP | Mar 17, 2017 |
This is on my pick of funny books for the year, which I had previously missed out on (no, I don't have that list anywhere, but I probably should).

The story begins with a bossy cat, loudly telling a frog he should be sitting on a log. When the frog demurs, the cat sets out on an explosive journey of rhymes. Only cats can sit on mats and only hares can sit on chairs. There's worse things than sitting on a splintery log though - what about lions sitting on irons or storks on forks? Finally, frog wonders what dogs sit on....oops.

Originally published in the UK, the art has what I think of as distinctive British style with pop-eyes and silly details and slightly tilted perspectives. The animals' all have individual expressions ranging from the shocked to the smugly content and as frog learns about proper sitting technique his own expression goes from annoyed to exuberant as he gets into the rhyming game, then resigned at the twist in the ending.

Verdict: A hilarious story that uses rhymes the way they should be used - to make everyone explode in hysterical laughter. Highly recommended.

ISBN: 9780545687911; Published 2014 by Scholastic; Borrowed from another library in my consortium
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jan 22, 2016 |

A read-aloud story that will have kids rhyming around the house!

"It's very simple, really. Cats sit on mats, hares sit on chairs, mules sit on stools, gophers sit on sofas, and frogs sit on logs."

Each animal's designated seat rhymes with that animal's name. "It's not about being comfortable," explains the cat. "It's about doing the right thing."

The frog does not want to sit on a log. Doing his best to find an alternative place to sit, the frog asks the cat a litany of questions. For every answer the cat has, the frog has another question--until the frog finds out what dogs sit on!

Peppered with catchy rhymes, FROG ON A LOG? shows young readers that every animal has a special place to sit. With rhymes that are reminiscent of Dr. Seuss's beginner books, FROG ON A LOG? is a fun, educational read-aloud story that helps teach phonics!

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 01 Sep 2015 08:42:55 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible