Silk Vol. 0: The Life and Times of Cindy…

Silk Vol. 0: The Life and Times of Cindy Moon

by Robbie Thompson, Stacey Lee (Illustrator)

Other authors: Tana Ford (Illustrator), Ian Herring (Illustrator), Dave Johnson (Cover artist), Annapaola Martello (Illustrator)

Silk, Volume 0: The Life and Times of Cindy Moon collects Silk vol. 1, nos. 1-7, written by Robbie Thompson with art by Stacey Lee, Annapaola Martello, and Tana Ford. The story picks up after the events of Spider-Verse, which introduced Cindy Moon, who was bitten by the same radioactive spider that gave Spider-Man his powers only to have Ezekiel Sims convince her to go into hiding in order to avoid the Inheritors. This volume serves to expand on that backstory while also setting up the major conflicts with Black Cat and Cindy's wariness around Spider-Man following Spider-Verse. Most interesting of all, Thompson showcases a side of J. Jonah Jameson that doesn't appear much in comics. Cindy offers an interesting alternative to the Spider-Man narrative without having to exist in a parallel universe. Her struggles are different and her feeling of displacement will easily resonate with readers struggling to connect. While each of the artists offers a visually exciting take, my favorite is Annapaola Martello, who only illustrated issue 4. This volume concludes by tying into the beginning of the Secret Wars, but readers need not follow that storyline to enjoy this or what comes next in Silk's book. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Feb 4, 2018 |
Silk, Vol. 0: The Life and Times of Cindy Moon by writer Robbie Thompson and art by Stacey Lee The character of Silk made her debut in the Original Sin storyline, where she is released from self-induced isolation for the good of the world. The events of her past are recapped enough to keep up if you haven't read Original Sin, as I hadn't (and don't really plan to). She is another of Marvel's new heroes that attempt to diversify the superhero landscape. Silk is Cindy Moon, a Korean-American girl who was also bit by the same spider that bit Peter Parker, but had gone into isolation shortly after. This volume is the first (though labeled "Volume 0") in her own title series.
Silk/Cindy Moon is a great addition to the Marvel Universe. She's adorable, she's imperfect, she's lost and searching. She's also got a great costume. It's one of my favorites of all-time. It's not incredibly different from the aesthetic that Spider-Man wears while having a totally different and gorgeous design, though not overly-feminine either. It plays in that beautiful medium between placating to women and girls and being made for the male gaze. In fact, what makes the whole thing great and perfect for girls to be picking up is that she's a superhero like any of the others. She's treated the same was as the boys and not sidelined, or needing to be saved all the time.
Okay, she needs to be saved some, but it's treated like a newbie thing and not a girl thing, which I think is just as important. Even superheroes don't get heroing right on the first try. Everything takes effort, everything takes work.
I know there are some out there that feel like the diverse heroes are just being thrown in out of nowhere and are pointless, but I personally love Silk! Check her out.

(Also, if you're diversifying your heroes and haven't checked out Kamala Khan's Ms. Marvel, you're missing out!) ( )
  Calavari | Sep 28, 2016 |
Silk Vol 0: The Life and Times of Cindy Moon by Robbie Thompson and Stacey Lee is the first ever collection of Silk comics. Like Spider-Gwen, Silk became a popular character during the Spider-Verse event and now has her own book, whoo. Also like Spider-Gwen, she was bitten by the same radioactive spider as Peter Parker, but unlike Spider-Gwen, she's from the main Marvel universe and the reason we haven't seen much of her up to now (well, and earlier in some Amazing Spider-Man comics) is because she was locked in a bunker for ten years. Isn't being a female superhero great?

Questionable origin story aside (and, I should say, this isn't an origin comic), The Life and Times of Cindy Moon is a really, really excellent comic. The art is nice and respectful (funny how you don't get gratuitous objectification with a female artist...) and the choice of colours is sort of subdued, making the comic look more serious and less "larger than life" than a lot of superhero comics tend to do. Not that there's anything wrong with brightly coloured superheroes, but this book tells a serious and relatively down-to-earth story, so it works really well.

Cindy's focus is in finding out what happened to her family after she went into the bunker. As far as she can tell, they seem to have disappeared. In the meantime, she's working as a reporter (a strangely common occupation for superheroes), getting her start writing stories about the new superhero Silk. As Silk, she spends her time fighting minor (for now) bad guys, with occasional help from her sidekick, Spider-Man (the Peter Parker one).

I didn't realise before I started reading, but I think Cindy might be the first female Asian-American superhero from Marvel? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I haven't read/seen any others. There are also a lot of Pokémon references, which is one way to get me on side. So that was pretty cool. I enjoyed spotting random Pokémon in the background of panels.

Overall, this was an excellent book. All seven issues formed a coherent story — which I always appreciate more than shorter story arcs — and even though the last issue was part of Last Days (the apocalypse immediately preceding the Secret Wars event), the story continued in a sensible manner and even managed to tie up a few loose ends before the inevitable post-event reboot. I just hope the post-Secret Wars continuation doesn't jump around too much. (I'm kind of hoping most of the comics I follow just ignore the whole Secret Wars thing as much as possible, really.)

Silk was an excellent read. Honestly one of my favourite comic books that I've read lately. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, especially compared with Spider-Gwen, who arrived on the scene at a similar time. Basically, Spider-Gwen has the cooler costume, but Silk is much better written. It's in my top 3 superhero comics. Recommended to all discerning comic book fans.

5 / 5 stars

You can read more of my reviews on my blog. ( )
  Tsana | Dec 20, 2015 |

Forbes, W. ScottIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lanham, TravisLetterersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Murata, YusukeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Young, SkottieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0785197044, Paperback)

Cindy Moon exploded out of her bunker and into the Marvel Universe when we first learned that she had been bitten by the same radioactive spider from the first arc of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. She then went on to save Peter Parker's life (more than once!) and traverse the Spider-Verse alongside Spider-Woman. Now, as SILK, Cindy is on her own in New York City, searching for her past, defining her own future, and webbing up wrong-doers along the way! Robbie Thompson (writer from TV's SUPERNATURAL) fi lls this new story with his unique blend of antics and feels. Featuring interiors by future superstar Stacey Lee.

COLLECTING: Silk 1-7

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 28 Jul 2015 10:48:04 -0400)

"Cindy Moon exploded out of her bunker and into the Marvel Universe when we first learned that she had been bitten by the same radioactive spider from the first arc of Amazing Spider-Man. She then went on to save Peter Parker's life (more than once!) and traverse the Spider-Verse alongside Spider-Woman. Now, as SILK, Cindy is on her own in New York City, searching for her past, defining her own future, and webbing up wrong-doers along the way!"--Publisher's description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,518,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible