Dead Lucky by M. R Forbes
421,664,912 (5)None
Recently added bygrisaille, MelHay, DabOfDarkness

*This audiobook was a gift.

Going through plans of a break in and snag of an ancient coin, Conor hears voices that call to him, telling him to find them. He has one week before the job to get the coin and he feels the insane desire to go to New Orleans, that what he's to find is there. There's a job for him here, find a set of dice that only a necromancer can find in a casino run by a voodoo lord.

It's always a pleasure to listen to Jeff narrate a story. Not only do we get different voices, but we get a few added effects with the characters (like Conor coughing). And, always what we are looking for, heart of the character. Jeff becomes who he voices. One of my favorites to listen to as he's so entertaining with his voice and the recording is seamless.

This novella is before Dead of Night in Conor's life time line. I'm listening to it after the second book. You can listen to this one at any time, before the series or during it. You get a great feel for Conor and the world.

This novella is one that would be very good to sample the world and Conor. We learn about the movement of the fields returning magic to the world. We see the touch it's had on the world, the changes in people and land.

This novella is neat because we get to see Danelle in action. If you've read the series, you'll understand what I mean. If you've not read the series, it's okay, you'll understand when you get to the series. But the cool thing here, we get to see how Conor came to possess the dice. This was something that was in the back of my mind, curious about. ( )
  MelHay | Feb 5, 2017 |
The world has changed in the several decades since magic was reintroduced. For some, it is better, for others not so much. Connor Night is dying of cancer and he is one of the few Necromancers currently living. He and his partner (Danelle AKA Dani) along with his reanimated corpse, Evan, do odd jobs. Indeed, they are quite odd and often involve breaking the law. This time, Connor and his crew get drawn in to an unexpected job and the outcome is not quite what they had in mind.

This book was a world of fun and I definitely didn’t want to put it down. Connor is a pretty unique protagonist. He’s on death’s door and only the illegal, expensive, experimental drugs are keeping his cancer from devouring him. Basically, he isn’t your basic studly hero. Yet he has a certain fatalistic charm and gallows humor that had me attached to him from the beginning.

Connor’s crew are also a fun bunch, in a knife-wielding, verbally abusive sort of way. Dani is the weapons master of the bunch and often the planner of each job, keeping everyone on track. I really liked her practical approach to problems. Meanwhile, Evan is a stinky rotting corpse that has to be kept on ice when not in use. He seems pretty pissed about being reanimated and who can blame him? But for this job he will get to have a little fun.

A compulsion has been laid on Connor and he must leave his town of Chicago and get to New Orleans as quick as possible or go insane from the constant mental pressure. New Orleans holds many surprises. There will be fancy dress attire, weapons, ogres, gambling, voodoo, and some other surprises our heroes didn’t see coming. It was a very fun mix and the story kept me engaged the entire time. I definitely look forward to listening to the rest of the series.

At the time of posting this review, this novella was free to listen to on the narrator’s YouTube channel. I don’t know how long it will be available before it goes to Audible.

Narration: Jeff Hays has done another fine performance. His somewhat gravelly voice for Connor was perfect. He even tossed in some coughing fits here and there to get across to the listener just how ill Connor is. He has an amazing range and his female voices were very realistic. He did some regional accents along with big ogre voices. It was a highly entertaining performance! ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Jul 26, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,786,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible