Confessions of a Queen B* by Crista McHugh

Confessions of a Queen B*

by Crista McHugh

201515,329 (3.5)None

**I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**

Alexis Wyndham is the other type of Queen B—the Queen Bitch.

I’m having trouble rating this book, because on one hand, the writing and humour in this story are great – it even has an interesting premise - but I have a few issues with the characters.

So let’s dive into this review, shall we?

I had so much fun reading this book. The writing was light and flowed smoothly, and the book actually had moments that made me laugh out loud.

So what’s the problem?

The one main issue I had with this book is the fact that Alexis had so much potential to become something more – something other than a stereotypical chick-lit character. Her relationship with Brett was cute and all, but I felt like throughout most of the book, it was mainly just Alexis trying to deny her attraction to him. All the signs pointed to the fact that he liked her back, yet she still went around moping, whining and wondering if Brett liked her back. She’s fighting it for NO FREAKING REASON.

Also, I felt like she was very pretentious. I mean, there’s a difference between being a Queen Bitch and being a pretentious prig. She shamed everyone. By the way she spoke about her parents, she had me thinking that they were the ‘never-around-parents-who-don’t-care-about-their-children’ type. However, her dad actually cares about her – which he proved when she skyped him about boy trouble – and her mom does, too, as shown below:

“I would usually go to Dad with something like this,” I began, but stopped when I saw the hurt in her eyes. “Not that I wouldn’t want to come with you, but you’ve been so busy lately, and- ”

She swallowed, the regret still lingering in the corners of her eyes.

And, so what if you don’t like makeup as much as your sister does?? Honestly, the amount of times she’s passed off a rude comment about her sister in this book pissed me off.

There was no character development in this book and the characters were stereotypical anyway. Brett is a football star, he broke a record in a single football game, he has eight colleges contending for him, and, as a bonus, he’s also a very caring brother toward his sisters. He literally has no faults at all, excluding the fact that he has a domineering father (oh no’s!).
You also have the two best friends, of course, a Goth girl and a gay guy. Do you know what this reminded me of? Mean Girls. Y’know, Janis and Damian?

Despite all that is mentioned above, the reason I give this book 3 stars is because the humour and writing was just perfect – and that’s worth the extra stars in my book. I loved The Eastline Spy and actually looked forward to reading her entry every chapter. It was so entertaining and sarcastic, which I absolutely loved!

Overall, I loved the writing style and wit in this book. Although the character and plot/mystery development of this book was a let-down, I’d recommend it to you if you’re looking for a light, YA chick-lit read. The release date is set to July 28, 2015, which makes it a great summer read! ( )
  fatimareadsbooks | Aug 18, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,723,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible