The Rules of Supervillainy (The…

The Rules of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga) (Volume 1)

by C.T. Phipps

Set in the imaginary Falconcrest City, superheroes, monsters, and supervillains clash and clatter together. Gary Karkofsky has delusions of grandeur, specifically of becoming the lead supervillain for the city. He was given a magical cloak that gives him formidable powers. With this new wardrobe and a small group of henchpeople, Gary has big plans for the city.

First and foremost, there is humor everywhere in this book. I love that much of the humor is told in a straight manner, the characters taking the plot seriously even as they come up with corny supervillain or superhero names. For instance, Gary’s alias is Merciless: the Supervillain without Mercy. Now wouldn’t that make you quiver in your boots?😉

So Merciless gets on the bad side of the Malt Shop Gang when one of their own, the Ice Cream Man, is taken out in a robbery that Merciless interfered in. The plot thickens when Merciless is contacted by the police to assist in a kidnapping – the girl’s parents are rich and Merciless is poor. He’s in it for the money. However, the local superheroes don’t take kindly to Merciless’s misdeeds. That’s quite a bit on the man’s plate!

You recall that magical cloak? Yeah, well that cloak actually has a personality and likes to be called Cloak. And it likes to argue with Merciless at the most inopportune times. Ha! This often incited chuckles from me. Cloak turned out to be one of my favorite characters.

Mandy, who is Gary’s wife, doesn’t feel quite the same way about supervillainy as Gary does. In fact, you could say she’s a bit on the opposite end of the spectrum. This causes some grief and consternation for our main character, partially because he really does love his wife quite a bit. I really enjoyed that Mandy was not a toss away character and held her own throughout the story, adding to the plot and the humor. She’s got some skills herself and that adds some twists to the plot.

I was very happy to see characters of various sexual orientation in this book. Hooray! SFF needs more of this! The story wraps up well enough, with the main characters going head to head with an unexpected monster. Not everything was tied up neatly but the next installment of the series is already available, so I think enthusiastic listeners/readers like myself can just jump into that. It was really the humor that made this book excellent for me. The plot was secondary to the characters and their interactions with each other.

The Narration: Jeffrey Kafer was a great voice for Gary/Merciless. He delivered the humor in the intended dry tone which made it that much more amusing for me. As usual, he had distinct character voices for everyone and his female voices were believable. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | May 8, 2016 |
The Rules of Supervillainy by C.T.Phipps is an unusual superhero book. The super villain is not super bad and married to someone who wants to be a superhero. Come to find out, the cape was suppose to go to her and not him. There are lots of crazy drama of trying to cause crime but stopping crime in the process. Having to decide to give his wife the cape or not. He has 'teachers' to teach him how to be a villain. It is all good silly fun. The dialogue is clever and plot fun. Characters unique and likable, even the 'bad' ones. A good read overall. ( )
  MontzaleeW | May 6, 2016 |
A story filled with quirky superheroes and villains, The Rules of Supervillainy is a great read. All the tropes of the comics are here in an engaging read. I really liked this book. The rules are meant to broken, on both sides. I can't wait to see how Merciless takes on the zombies in the next book. The characters all have interesting backstories. I loved Diablo. He seems interesting, and hopefully we will learn more about him.

Pop culture is in here, also. I loved the Star Wars conversations. May the force be with you!

I was given a copy for an honest review. ( )
  lesindy | Feb 12, 2016 |
*This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of AudiobookBlast dot com, at my request.

Gary Karkofsky has been the supervillain Merciless for less than 24 hours. The things he has done, surpassed in battle, and seen are more than he ever imagined in his lifetime. Somehow a box was dropped off at his door with files and a magical cloak, all having belonged to the superhero of Falconcrest City who died less than a week ago, Nightwalker. Gary's not a superhero, he's poor, and plans to take advantage of his gift to start his reign of terror on the city... and take some easy cash. On his first day, he learns his powers, limits, and down sides to being a super villain. Gets under the skin of The Malt Shop gang who call for revenge for the death of Ice Cream Man in a robbery Merciless intervened in. And gets a call from the Chief of Police to help with a kidnapping of a rich daughter. Gary sees dollar signs and takes the money, however things seem to shift on him drawing the attention of the superheroes.

I enjoyed listening to Jeffrey as his reading voice is one I love to listen to, but he also does the voice differences for the additional villains that Merciless comes across, and there are a more than a few. They seem to fit the characters in mind and voice. I think this is the most voice variation I've heard from Jeffrey in the few books I've listened to from him. Sounds like he had fun with these characters. I know I did! The dry humor in Jeffrey's voice fits Gary to the T and made the book all the more fun listening to the humor and jokes than just reading them.

LOL! Oh this was a fun listen. Just what I wanted, and was hoping for. The names of the villains alone made me giggle as I'm listening to this story, but Gary on his first test drive with the powerful cloak is a hoot. He didn't even test out his powers before diving in.

Gary is our main super villain, if that's the category he wants to classify himself as. It's amusing to listen to him bicker with Cloak. Yes, Cloak. Cloak IS Gary's cloak and the reason for his super powers. They are so different in thought and Gary's thinking process is entertaining. Gary is wonderful at turning situations to capitalize on them personally. Just a few things that stick out in my head, among many, are: I had to laugh and shake my head at his thought on what to do with the rich daughter, to make money and a villain team to make more money. I had to nod and chuckle at Gary's thoughts of the police. When a kidnapping happens, he feels they are lazy and doing a poor job as they called the Nighwalker, who's dead, for help instead of doing the work themselves. He's a supervillain who supports the tough on crime policies the president is passing. He wants to eliminate other supervillains because they cut into his pay check.

Gary lives in a 'super' world. There are super heroes and super villains everywhere. His family has a long line of supervillains, along with many of those he knows. He graduated from South Falconcrest High were most have gone off to do some supervillainous events, and his deceased brother is who inspires him to be a villain now.

Family... I love how Gary goes about things with his wife, Mandy. This is a wonderful bonus for me as he's not a *whistle*. Gary loves his wife. He wants things to work out for them and for their dreams. I love this!

Corny names, costumes, and characters. I loved it! I was smiling at the names and costumes that corresponded to them. lol. And I enjoyed Gary's (Merciless's) view on things. The fun comic corks that go with the way Superheroes and Supervillains are and react. Wow. Gary, Merciless's, first day as a supervillain has gone further than he ever imagined, bringing him to experience and see so much of the 'super' world.

I am looking forward to future stories with these characters and world, as there are more coming. ( )
  MelHay | Dec 13, 2015 |
'The Rules of Supervillainy' is the story of Gary, a man who decides to become a supervillain when he comes into possession of a dead superhero's magic cape.

I thought this was a cool idea and I loved the cover so when I got the chance at an ARC I grabbed it! The story is fast paced and sets up the premise and main characters well for future books in the series. There were a lot of characters introduced but the main few were well developed. I liked the sense of humour and the plot was impossible to predict which made for a very entertaining read. I look forward to the second book in the series and am keen to see what this author comes up with next.

Overall this is an excellent read; fast-paced, entertaining and original. I highly recommend this book to fans of urban fantasy and anti-heroes!

Note: I received an advanced copy of this book for my honest review. ( )
  chettsgenie | Sep 24, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,239,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible