Montmartre Mysteries by Jean-Pierre Alaux
209515,329 (4.5)None

Arthur Solacroup, a wine shop over and friend of Benjamin Cooker is attacked in his shop. Has the attack something to do with Solacroups past in the Foreign Legion or something to do with a jealous husband/boyfriend? And, will Virgile be able to stay away from Solacroup sexy girlfriend?

Montmartre Mysteries is one of the best books in this series, sure it was a quick read like it always is since the books aren't thick, but this time I really felt that the story was quite good and less predictable. Sometimes I think it's too easy to figure out who's the bad guy/girl in the series since it's often not that many suspects to choose from. This time, I actually had no clue who was behind the attack until the end when it was revealed.

The book did remind me of Deadly Tasting. I vill not reveal precisely why since I don't want to spoil both books. But the motive and what happened to the attacker in this book made me think about Deadly Tasting. Which isn't a big surprise since I read Deadly Tasting (reading out of order) just before I read this book.

Btw, I always want to see Amelie from Montmartre when I see Montmartre mentioned...

3.5 stars

Thank you Le French Book and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
This is a gem of a mystery enclosed in a very beautiful tour of France and its wines. Benjamin, Virgile, and the rest of the characters are fleshed out and charming. The wine is a definite character as well and flavors the plot. In any case, this is a very clever cozy and I look forward to seeing more of this author.
This identical review was entered on www.netgalley.com
  jeshakespeare | May 2, 2016 |
Another great Benjamin Cooker and Virgile mystery. He investigates the attempted murder of a Paris wine merchant, of course,he continues his wine tastings. Well written and great characters. Bring on the next one.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  druidgirl | Mar 30, 2016 |
Another gem of a story by Jean-Pierre Alaux and Noel Balen.

A fine mystery involving yet again wine, women, food and this time the Foreign Legion!
These Winemaker stories bring to life the areas written about vividly.
Although I have not visited this part of Paris before, I feel I know every road and building mentioned.

Benjamin and Virgile ( who seems to have got over Benjamin's daughter - see Mayhem in Margaux ), investigate the vicious attack on Arthur, an old friend
who runs a wine shop.
So begins another tangled mystery that the men have to unravel.
Looking forward to reading more books in this very entertaining series.

This digital copy was given to me by the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest unbiased review. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Jan 23, 2016 |
What I like about this series is that it 's always something a little different, you never know what kind of case you'll have. While at the same time every book places you in familiar territory with beloved characters who wine and dine while amateur detecting. I loved this entry in the series! It was a much darker story than the others, even though no murder was committed, per se. It is a tale of human imperfection, seeking atonement and redemption, with a bittersweet ending. This one actually reminded me of a Father Brown story. Well done! ( )
  ElizaJane | Sep 23, 2015 |

Jean-Pierre Alauxprimary authorall editionscalculated
Balen, Noëlmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Le French Book

An edition of this book was published by Le French Book.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,014,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible