Backstabbing in Beaujolais by Jean-Pierre…
199587,099 (3.88)1

I can't seem to put down books with Benjamin and Virgile. This time they stay with Benjamin's friends a Catalan artist and his mystery writer wife. The description of the wine making region of Beaujolais is fascinating as always the investigation and finale is exciting. Wonderful story line and fine characters.
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  druidgirl | Mar 31, 2016 |
Benjamin and Virgile are back!
This time they are cleaning up the Beaujolais region.
This is one of the best book series I've read in some time.
If you are new to this series Benjamin is a wine expert and amateur sleuth who has a knack of solving ghastly murders and mysteries involving wine.
Virgile is his assistant and is learning the trade so to speak.
They get involved in all sorts of nasty goings on and this story is no exception.
I understand that this book series has been made into a TV series in France and would be interested to know if it is ever going to be shown in the UK.
Very Highly recommended.
I was given a digital copy by the publisher via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review, which I am delighted to do. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Part of a long series, these books are always fresh. Quite different from the others so far, "Backstabbing in Beaujolais" uses foreshadowing for the opening chapter by beginning with the finding of a body then backtracking in time and spending a good portion of the book leading up to the murder. There are quite a few suspects and some French hanky-panky but this one of the cozier cases of the series. I particularly liked the epilogue which gave a "what are they up to now" on all the non-regular participants in the story. Not my favourite entry in the Cooker series but certainly a fun entry along the way. There are hints Margaux may be coming home and I can't wait to see if she will appear in the next book. ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 23, 2015 |
I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of a book tour for a fair and honest review and rated it 4 out of 5 stars.

Just when you thought it was safe to drink the wine.......

The ninth entry in the Winemaker Detective series, Backstabbing in Beaujolais, by Jean-Pierre Alaux and Noel Balen begins at an outdoor reception being hosted by a newly opened vineyard. A reception where the body of a dead woman is found floating in one of the wine vats. Continuing to develop the relationship between their characters, and further establishing their ability to solve crimes, the reader is taken along on their journey as they discover who committed the crime. Fans of this series will find this to be another riveting adventure for Benjamin and Virgile while new readers will no doubt enjoy getting their first taste.

Departing from their usual style, the authors begin this adventure with the discovery of the dead woman. A woman both wine expert Benjamin Cooker, and his apprentice Virgile Lanssien, know and have dealt with in the recent past. Using a “flashback” to tell the story, we learn about Benjamin and Virgile’s journey to the Beaujolais region in France to meet with Guillame Perithiard. A wealthy businessman who has decided to return to the area of his birth and start a second career as a wine producer. While Mr. Perithiard is used to getting his way, and is used to having the best that money can buy, he can only get Benjamin to inspect the vines and buildings of the vineyard he plans to purchase. Providing a report on the quality of the soil and plants is as far as Benjamin is willing to involve himself in the man’s newest endeavor.

Once again the authors treat the readers to the beauty of France by providing a glimpse into a different region, the wines produced in the area and the local cuisine. All explained in the guise of Benjamin’s lessons to Virgile, who continues to benefit from his teacher’s vast experience. Introducing a handful of new characters, it’s clear that Benjamin is not only an expert in food and wine but also in how to make friends and influence people’s choices. I wish I had the time and money to take a trip to the region where this story takes place just so I could sample the wines and eat all of the same foods myself.

The mystery is well developed and takes several twists and turns. While the dead woman is one of the characters we meet early in the story, she’s the real-estate agent who sold the vineyard to Mr. Perithiard, it takes a while to discover why someone would want to kill her and how she ended up in the vat. Especially since she’s quite beautiful and talented with dealing with people too. The story’s pace is good and the author’s writing style is well established and easy to follow.

Will Benjamin and Virgile be able to discover the identity of the killer? Will the new vineyard and the wine it produces be ruined as a result of the crime? You’ll have to read Backstabbing at Beaujolais to fine out. I enjoyed it and can’t wait to read about Benjamin and Virgile’s next adventure. ( )
  MariaD. | Nov 21, 2015 |

Jean-Pierre Alauxprimary authorall editionscalculated
Balen, Noëlmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Le French Book

An edition of this book was published by Le French Book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,424,411 books! | Top bar: Always visible