Melody Hill by Rick DeStefanis

Melody Hill

by Rick DeStefanis

711,138,814 (5)None

Melody Hill is the first book I've read from Rick DeStefanis and I enjoyed it immensely. The story begins in Melody Hill, TN where readers are introduced to Duff Coleridge and his family - Mama, Lacey and step brother, Brady in the days before Duff leaves for Vietnam in early 1967. Duff and his friend, Jimmy, are placed with the same company which operates in the Central Highlands. The humping was never ending in the mountains, and when Duff hears of an opening in the LRRP's, he volunteers himself and Jimmy. Both are accepted and teamed up as snipers. During his second mission, Duff becomes a hero by saving the rest of the unit when he stays behind to cover the unit's withdrawal to safety. Duff's marksmanship was superb - a skill he honed while growing up in the mountains of TN - allowed him to take down several enemy fighters during the stand-off. The Army awarded him a Silver Star for a task that he didn't think was heroic. It was just the right thing to do.

It isn't long before the SOG unit hears about Duff and they convince him to join their ranks. The missions are top secret and usually include local militia and police forces. However, all is not like it appears...there's a spy in their midst and some of the American's are dabbing in the black market. Duff falls in love with a French/Vietnamese who works for the South Vietnamese Government. Duff agrees to go under cover and help to identify those responsible for the many atrocities occurring during the missions. Duff is soon found out and finds his life in danger. He'd uncovered documented proof to prosecute the guilty parties - and must do everything possible to expose them. However, his only friend and backer is the girl he wants to marry and take home. Things get dicey and Duff finds a big target on his back.

The suspense will keep readers busy well into the night. I have to say that I was disappointed with the ending as many questions were still unanswered. Discovering that Melody Hill is a prequel to one of Rick's earlier books, I didn't hesitate to purchase it and will begin reading it when I finish this review. I highly recommend this book as it is not only about the Vietnam War - it is also about good vs. evil and true love..

Kudos Mr. DeSteffanis!

John Podlaski, author
"Cherries - A Vietnam War Novel" and "When Can I Stop Running?" ( )
  JPodlaski | Feb 24, 2017 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Rick DeStefanis's book Melody Hill was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,598,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible