Gumshoe by Rob Leininger

I won this book on GoodReads First Reads in exchange for an honest review.

Gumshoe is the story of a former IRS agent turned Private Investigator, but not your everyday P.I. Actually he's more of a P.I. in training and relies on his knowledge of detective noir movies to get through his new profession.

Mort Angel, is a likable character. His story is told in the first character with the added benefit, through the writing prowess of Rob Leininger, of strong imagery. Leininger is able to coax a sense of black and white grainy film rolling; the protagonist wearing a fedora and trench coat, broads, I mean women, who are all too entirely beautiful and sexy falling for an average guy. Perhaps this is just due to mere suggestion, after all, today's detectives are not called 'gumshoes'. But, the title does set the tone and the author is able to merge plot and concept together to providing the reader with a quirky, sometimes comical, and enjoyable story.

It was a good read with a well thought out plot which kept you guessing to the end. ( )
  NancyNo5 | Jun 27, 2016 |
This was a fun quirky little read. The main character is a bit of a bumbler as we are seeing him in the first few days as he starts his new career as a private detective, but the story was fun and kept me reading. I would recommend it if you are looking for a light read with some laughs. I received a copy of this book in exchange for an unbiased review. ( )
  booksgaloreca | Mar 27, 2016 |
A very entertaining, good old fashioned murder mystery of the old school!
I half expect Humphrey Bogart to appear!
A great read and if it were possible I would give it more than 5 stars.
Highly recommended.
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Oceanview via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Jan 23, 2016 |
Our third review is Gumshoe by Rob Leininger. It’s Book #1 in a new quirky detective series. If you like hardboiled detective novels, you’ve come to the right place. Mr. Leininger has taken the classic detective novel and put a very original spin on it. I fully expect Gumshoe to get optioned by a major film studio, like two of Mr. Leininger’s prior novels, because it’s got motion picture written all over it. I loved every minute of it and I think you’ll find it a fun, quirky read while being a roller-coaster thriller at the same time – and that, amazingly enough, works beautifully. The humor helps to keep the creepier aspects of the storyline in check, providing a balance that kept me glued to Gumshoe until I finished it. Learn more at http://popcornreads.com/?p=8786 ( )
  PopcornReads | Dec 17, 2015 |
When Mortimer Angel decides to change careers from IRS Agent to PrivateGumshoe Investigator he envisions himself a modern day Sam Spade spouting smart repartee, meeting gorgeous girls, seeing plenty of action and solving murders. But, aside from the numerous gorgeous girls he’s met, including one mystery girl who breaks into his house, appropriates his bed and leaves him notes, being a P.I. isn’t what he thought it would be.

He seems to have only one talent. In his first two days on the job he’s been able to find the severed heads of two people who had disappeared, Reno, Nevada’s mayor and district attorney. Unfortunately the third severed head he found happened to belong to his P.I. and new boss nephew, Gregory, who had gone searching for the killer and bodies of the first two heads. In order to salvage a P.I. career on the brink of disintegrating, Angel realizes he has to solve the murders. However, his inexperience is a major drawback, so he hires experienced private detective Jeri DiFrazzia, who is herself gorgeous, to help him.

The tone of Angel and DiFrazzia is reminiscent of Dashiell Hammett’s Nick and Nora Charles of the Thin Man series. Angel’s cavalier but determined attitude is offset by DiFrazzia’s all business demeanor making them a likeable and effective team. Readers will find themselves chuckling at Angel’s wry observations, especially about himself. The gorgeous women who come in and out of his life including his ex-wife Dallas, Jeri and the mystery girl are quite the crew. No dumb blonde in this group.

The somewhat implausible ending (maybe I should say plot) does not diminish the reading enjoyment. I’m not a big fan of the ‘humorous’ mystery–not a Carl Hiaasen fan–but I thoroughly enjoyed Gumshoe. By the way, this is not humorous in the Lisa Lutz (the dysfunctional Spellman family series) or Janet Evanovich (the Stephanie Plum with the old grandmother series).

Should Angel and DiFrazzia morph into a series, mystery readers will be well served. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Nov 18, 2015 |

For nine long days, the mayor and district attorney of Reno, Nevada, have been missing--vanished without a trace. Did they fly somewhere together? Take off with a big pile of money? Were they murdered? Their disappearances have finally made the national news. Mortimer Angel, a private-eye-in-training, is on the case....… (more)

Oceanview Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Oceanview Publishing.

Editions: 1608091538, 1608091635

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,749,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible