What Were the Salem Witch Trials? (What…

What Were the Salem Witch Trials? (What Was...?)

by Joan Holub

I would use this book as an independent read for third and fourth grade because the story is written with vocabulary that is in their reading level. With this book for third graders, I would have the students answer specific questions related to how and why these trail occurred. Then I would have the students break up into four groups and within the groups create a script that follows the events they read about. Each of the students must participate in the writing and acting aspects. Once the script has been written and practiced, the students will perform their play in front of the class. For a fourth grade class, I would have the students selected one of the added pages in the text that talks about a related subject such as the Puritan colony, the modern witch hunt, or superstitions. They will research more about the subject and create either a poster or PowerPoint that shows key details they believe everyone needs to know about that subject. Then they will explain why this topic relates to the Witch Trails by giving specific examples. I believe this is a great book to introduce students to a period in American history and it will help the students expanded their independent reading ability. ( )
  Jbrochu | Mar 31, 2017 |
This was a good factual recounting of the Salem witch trials. Holub does a good job of simplifying for a young adult audience the complexities of the trials. She presents clear descriptions of the various people and events that took place at that time. Holub manages to keep an objective tone as she examines the various aspects of the time, the religion, and the politics of Salem.

This would be a good book for students interested in history. It is also a good choice of book for students interested in witchcraft and the supernatural. It would be a good choice of book for a middle school American history class. It would be a good choice for a beginning study of psychology - middle school level. ( )
  mcintorino | Mar 6, 2017 |
I love learning about the Salem Witch Trials, so this book was great for me. I learned many new facts about this event and read some facts that were contrary to what I previously learned and read. It was interesting to read and I think students who love to learn about interesting historical events will love this book.
  Katie_Manna | Oct 17, 2016 |
I would use this book for fourth or fifth graders. Because of the complexity and length of the book. This book is different than the other big head biographies because it is a "what is book". I would have my students read this book and "The Witch of Blackbird Pond." They would then compare the differences between the historical fiction and the biography.
  TaylorWebb | Apr 10, 2016 |

Something wicked was brewing in the small town of Salem, Massachusetts in 1692. It started when two girls, Betty Parris and Abigail Williams, began having hysterical fits. Soon after, other local girls claimed they were being pricked with pins. With no scientific explanation available, the residents of Salem came to one conclusion: it was witchcraft! Over the next year and a half, nineteen people were convicted of witchcraft and hanged while more languished in prison as hysteria swept the colony. Author Joan Holub gives readers and inside look at this sinister chapter in history.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 01 Sep 2015 09:09:56 -0400)

Joan Holub is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,074,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible