Staying Dead (Retrievers, Book 1) by Laura…

Staying Dead (Retrievers, Book 1) (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Laura Anne Gilman

Title:Staying Dead (Retrievers, Book 1)
Authors:Laura Anne Gilman
Info:Luna (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Tags:ReaderCon, urban fantasy, owned, signed

Staying Dead by Laura Anne Gilman (2004)

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both of these books are slow to build urban fantasy stories with strong female leads and very light romantic UST. Fans of one would probably enjoy the other as well.
    Bloodshot by Cherie Priest (SunnySD)
    Blue Diablo by Ann Aguirre (SunnySD)
    Heart of Stone by C. E. Murphy (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Strong, appealing heroines in the heart of the Big Apple - big city realities don't cease to exist just 'cause you're something other than human!

I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I'm a fan of Gilman's other series that runs parallel to this one, the Paranormal Crime Scene books, but short stories I'd read involving Wren and Sergi didn't excite me, to be honest. I'm glad I gave this a shot though; I still like the other series better, but Wren and Sergi are way more interesting in full-length format. Some of the sub-plots left me ambivalent, but overall the plot was interesting and well done.

I would willingly read more of this series, but likely won't got out of my way to hunt them down. Fun but not compelling. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 13, 2016 |

I wasn't unfamiliar with this world because I know its rules and peculiarities from Paranormal Scene Investigations series and I'll admit it is quite possible that you might be a bit lost in Staying Dead unless you know the world the Wren operates.
It doesn't matter which series was published first really. My point is that I didn't need any explanations and could enjoy this book because nothing was an unknown to me - the Council and lonejacks, the Cosa and the fatae, the Talents (those who can use the current, i.e. magic) and Nulls and so on. Both Sergei and Wren appear in one of the books of Paranormal Scene Investigations so I even knew about them.

Wren Valere is basically a thief, a Retriever. She and her partner 'in crime' Sergei get hired to retrieve stolen objects to 'their rightful - the client was always rightful owner without the fuss'. This time it is an Artefact (a magical object) that has been taken and Wren is the best choice the client has to retrieve it. However, the secrets their client keeps make an already difficult job even worse. Add to all that the mage Council and their machinations, an appearance of another shadowy organization, the vigilante groups attacking non-humans and you can see why Sergei and Wren have their hands full.

I love how their relationship is depicted. They both acknowledge (to themselves) that there is something more to it than common partnership or friendship, but it doesn't go further than that. At least, not in this book, which would be too fast and it would ruin everything. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
STAYING DEAD, by Laura Anne Gilman, is a fantasy book about a thief named Wren. Wren has the Talent to harness electrical power from her surroundings, and use that energy to fight bad guys while she works as a Retriever of stolen property.
Someone has stolen the cornerstone of a very large business building. Wren has been hired to bring it back, but there is a soul locked in the cornerstone, and when that soul gets out, it opens a big can of worms for Wren to peck away at. Who wants her dead? Who is actually behind her being hired for the job? It isn’t easy to tell who is on which side of the game. On top of all that, Wren is trying to come to terms with how she really feels about her business partner of 10 years, Sergei. Does she love him or just care deeply?
While the plot is great, and the characters are great, there is WAY too much flashback to occurrences that don’t really have anything to do with the story. It’s as if the author used them as filler to lengthen the book.
I really enjoyed reading STAYING DEAD, but I hope the following books in the series don’t have all that filler. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Gilman's novel was a little hard to get into and even though it's the first in a series, I felt a little like I was missing something. There was also something about her writing style that bothered me slightly, but not enough to stop me from reading, it just took me longer to get through the novel than it should've. That being said, as the book went on, I enjoyed it more and more and by the time I finished, I really liked the cast of characters and the world she'd created. I enjoy urban fantasy because it's not straight up fantasy and it's set in the modern world and Gilman's novel satisfied that for me. There was magic, demons and humans -- and clash between and within those worlds. I'll probably look for the next book in the series at some point. ( )
  callmecayce | Apr 15, 2013 |
The two star ok doesn't fit and the one star I didn't like it doesn't fit. So what to do... I gave it a two because the story idea I liked. But the writing was painful. Sentences stopped in the wrong places. I assume the writer was trying to show emphasis in places. At least I HOPE the author was trying to do that. I shudder to think if she wasn't.

Her style and construction was jarring. It uninterrupted the flow of the story and distracted me. I kept thinking she should have hired an editor and this has to be self-published free book because no one in their right mind would pay for this. Then I read here she was an editor. All I could think was her former clients needed to ask for their money back if they paid her anything and if she had a former employer, I have a chimp that would make a GREAT editor for them.

I sincerely hope there is a ghost writer for rest of the series and they can write. I don't suggest using this author for their editor.

And British Swearing? And she lives in NY City? And is American? [see I can write just like her] Cut me a break. Set in England if you want to use phrases such as "Jesus Wept" or man up and use American swear words. ( )
  pjh1984 | Mar 31, 2013 |
For Mom and Dad, of course. And for Mir and ElaineMc, who have some small blame in all this...
Hey, lady!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373802536, Mass Market Paperback)

Manhattan's night life just got weirder . . .

It starts as a simple job -- but simple jobs, when you're dealing with the magical world, often end up anything but.

As a Retriever, Wren Valere specializes in finding things gone missing -- and then bringing them back, no questions asked. Normally her job is stimulating, challenging and only a little bit dangerous. But every once in a while . . .

Case in point: A cornerstone containing a spell is stolen and there's a magical complication. (Isn't there always?) Wren's unique abilities aren't enough to lay this particular case to rest, so she turns to some friends: a demon (minor), a mage who has lost his mind, and a few others, including Sergei, her business partner (and maybe a bit more?).

Sometimes what a woman has to do to get the job done is enough to give even Wren nightmares . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:47 -0400)

Wren Valere, a Retriever, specializes in finding missing things. Her job can be dangerous, and in this story she is looking for a cornerstone containing a spell. She has to ask the help of some friends: a demon, a mage, and a few others. Even with the help of her friends Wren runs into trouble.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,847,197 books! | Top bar: Always visible