Staying Dead (Retrievers, Book 1) by Laura…

Staying Dead (Retrievers, Book 1) (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Laura Anne Gilman

Member:Jenson_AKA_DL
Title:Staying Dead (Retrievers, Book 1)
Authors:Laura Anne Gilman
Info:
Rating:***1/2
Tags:ReaderCon, urban fantasy, owned, signed

Staying Dead by Laura Anne Gilman (2004)

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Both of these books are slow to build urban fantasy stories with strong female leads and very light romantic UST. Fans of one would probably enjoy the other as well.
    Bloodshot by Cherie Priest (SunnySD)
    Blue Diablo by Ann Aguirre (SunnySD)
    Heart of Stone by C. E. Murphy (SunnySD)
    SunnySD: Strong, appealing heroines in the heart of the Big Apple - big city realities don't cease to exist just 'cause you're something other than human!

Gilman's novel was a little hard to get into and even though it's the first in a series, I felt a little like I was missing something. There was also something about her writing style that bothered me slightly, but not enough to stop me from reading, it just took me longer to get through the novel than it should've. That being said, as the book went on, I enjoyed it more and more and by the time I finished, I really liked the cast of characters and the world she'd created. I enjoy urban fantasy because it's not straight up fantasy and it's set in the modern world and Gilman's novel satisfied that for me. There was magic, demons and humans -- and clash between and within those worlds. I'll probably look for the next book in the series at some point. ( )
  callmecayce | Apr 15, 2013 |
The two star ok doesn't fit and the one star I didn't like it doesn't fit. So what to do... I gave it a two because the story idea I liked. But the writing was painful. Sentences stopped in the wrong places. I assume the writer was trying to show emphasis in places. At least I HOPE the author was trying to do that. I shudder to think if she wasn't.

Her style and construction was jarring. It uninterrupted the flow of the story and distracted me. I kept thinking she should have hired an editor and this has to be self-published free book because no one in their right mind would pay for this. Then I read here she was an editor. All I could think was her former clients needed to ask for their money back if they paid her anything and if she had a former employer, I have a chimp that would make a GREAT editor for them.

I sincerely hope there is a ghost writer for rest of the series and they can write. I don't suggest using this author for their editor.

And British Swearing? And she lives in NY City? And is American? [see I can write just like her] Cut me a break. Set in England if you want to use phrases such as "Jesus Wept" or man up and use American swear words. ( )
  pjh1984 | Mar 31, 2013 |
I really liked the first book by this author, kind of liked the second book, this one I had to stop reading at a certain point. The point I stopped reading was a violent scene with the evil-doing villain and it was just too gross. All of a sudden I felt sick and embarrassed to be reading the book in the first place. Yuck! ( )
  sumariotter | Nov 2, 2011 |
staying dead is the first retrievers novel that I have read, bukt not the last.
Wren finds things for people and steals them back.nher skills and magic.
her partner Sergel owns are art gallery. But has lots more skills.
Its a whole new York with magic,demoms, angel wizzards and humans.
Its a action,fantasy and clean book. ( )
  rhonda1111 | Sep 23, 2011 |
Wren Valere has light fingers and a Talent for making things disappear. Her partner Sergei has bred-to-the-bone business sense and a knack for finding "situations" the two of them can take advantage of. It's a tidy little profit-making enterprise. And at first their latest situation - retrieve a magic-vanished cornerstone from whomever stole it - seems fairly straightforward if detail-intensive. Of course, they weren't counting on dealing with wizzed mages, a homicidal ghost, and the Council, not to mention menacing visitors straight out of Sergei's murky past. Staying dead might be easier!

Mentions of past jobs and experiences peppered throughout left me feeling a bit as if I was coming in mid-way through a series, but didn't detract from the story. Engaging characters - I'll be hunting down the subsequent installments. ( )
  SunnySD | Oct 5, 2010 |
For Mom and Dad, of course. And for Mir and ElaineMc, who have some small blame in all this...
Hey, lady!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373802536, Mass Market Paperback)

Manhattan's night life just got weirder . . .

It starts as a simple job -- but simple jobs, when you're dealing with the magical world, often end up anything but.

As a Retriever, Wren Valere specializes in finding things gone missing -- and then bringing them back, no questions asked. Normally her job is stimulating, challenging and only a little bit dangerous. But every once in a while . . .

Case in point: A cornerstone containing a spell is stolen and there's a magical complication. (Isn't there always?) Wren's unique abilities aren't enough to lay this particular case to rest, so she turns to some friends: a demon (minor), a mage who has lost his mind, and a few others, including Sergei, her business partner (and maybe a bit more?).

Sometimes what a woman has to do to get the job done is enough to give even Wren nightmares . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:15 -0400)

Wren Valere, a Retriever, specializes in finding missing things. Her job can be dangerous, and in this story she is looking for a cornerstone containing a spell. She has to ask the help of some friends: a demon, a mage, and a few others. Even with the help of her friends Wren runs into trouble.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,390,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible