Outside The Ropes (Outside The Ropes, #1)

Outside The Ropes (Outside The Ropes, #1)

511,436,638 (4)None

An exceptional debut novel from author Ashley Claudy. This girl has what it takes. I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I requested this book from NetGalley solely based on the cover. I skimmed the synopsis, but I didn't know anything about the author or that it was part of a series until I finished this book. And let me tell you, I would never have guessed this was the author's first book. Ms. Claudy has some talent.

This novel was a unique take on the fighter romance trope. Most fighter romances I have read and seen are all about the drool worthy male fighter, and I can usually take or leave the lead female (because, you know, I would be so much better than her anyway). But not this book, this book was all about Regan. I was concerned at first that I wouldn't like her. I mean, she is only 19 so I was a little worried that she would be another ridiculously naive and vapid character. But she wasnt.

Regan is a SURVIVOR. She is a fighter, literally and figuratively. Reading about a tortured heroine that could still kick ass was a refreshing change of pace. And I think she is gonna kick a lot more ass in the rest of the series, and maybe save Gage in the process (or at least get him to pull his head out of his ass).

This book was dramatic and a little gritty. It dealt with athletes and criminals, and the intersection of two walks of life. Our main characters were trying to break free from the darkness, but realizing that it was easier said than done. None of the characters were perfect, but several were perfectly flawed. I found myself cheering for some of them, and wishing others would be hit by a bus. I can't wait to see what twists and turns lay ahead for Regan and Gage. (Note - slight cliffhanger) ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,531,518 books! | Top bar: Always visible