Bloodchild and Other Stories [second…

Bloodchild and Other Stories [second edition]

by Octavia E. Butler

6712014,276 (4.24)33

Light spec fic stories, heavy on women and Big Ideas. Butler says she doesn't like to write short stories...but I love these, and more than the full-length fiction of hers that I've read. They sparkle, they pack a punch, and they get out of their own way.

---

"Bloodchild" -- Creepy, unhappy, vaguely racial symbiosis of the Wild Seed sort -- this time between alien races. One author quipped this was her favorite story about pregnancy, which reflects more about her relation to pregnancy than anything else. Disturbing imagery, but nestled directly in that region of toying with big ideas that I love. ★★★★★

"The Evening and the Morning and the Night" -- Genetic disease brought on ourselves, trading present for future, free will in a world of pheromones. It is missing just a bit of an ending / of a "so what", but the genetics angle is fresh in my spec fic reading. ★★★★

"Near of Kin" -- An incest story. The boundaries played with here are done well, but they're ones I've seen done well before. ★★★

"Speech Sounds" -- A world reborn without language, and what that means for the present and future. Very thoughtful, very enjoyable. ★★★★½

"Crossover" -- Mental illness as a relationship that just doesn't quit. I needed to read this one twice to see it all, and it's excellent. ★★★★

"Positive Obsession" -- Brief vignettes from Butler's life as a writer. I was most surprised at the final section, which names all four Black spec fic authors in 1989: Delany, Barnes, Charles R. Saunders, and herself. So few. ★★★

"Furor Scribendi" -- Brief essay on how to write. Not my scene, so no opinions from me on this score. ★★★

"Amnesty" -- Strange, fascinating aliens full of small creatures with humans becoming yet another part, more slavery and power parables, and totally unputdownable. Even picked it up to read in the car. ★★★★★

"The Book of Martha" -- God chooses a woman to make a beneficial change in humanity. Is he just bored and interested in the fireworks? Or actually hoping new creativity will make his creation better than he was able to? What does this mean to her and everyone else? Is she making good choices? Just fascinating. ★★★★★ ( )
  pammab | Jun 20, 2017 |
Bloodchild and Other Stories was my introduction to Butler’s writing, and it reflects a masterful (and masterfully-thoughtful) writer. This collection features every short story — and two essays — that Octavia Butler wrote between 1971 and 2003. At just over 200 pages, that’s not many, and she herself admits to not being a writer or fan of short stories in her comments.

### ‘Bloodchild’ (1984)

I should find the title story, ‘Bloodchild,’ cheesy, with its insect-like aliens and technological magic: It’s steeped in old-fashioned sci-fi cheese without ever getting drowned in the magic and wonder writers like Bradbury relied on.

[N.B. This review features images and formatting specific to my book site, dendrobibliography: Check it out here.]

‘Bloodchild’ is about a future where humanity has come under the control and protection of a space-faring species most akin to preying mantises and spiders. They’re benevolent, but still very clearly in charge. Humanity is, coincidentally, an ideal host species for the Tilc’s larva; human families live on vast preserves, and are free to live as long as they supply one child per family as an N’Tilc — a host of Tilc larvae.

This is an uncomfortable story, and infinitely imaginative. Humanity is conflicted about this — it is a sort of slavery, after all. The hosts form close bonds with their Tilc partners, but the host process is violent, painful, gory, and can easily lead to the host’s death if they’re not careful.

‘Bloodchild’ never quite focuses on that, however. This story is all about the bond of human boy and his Tilc partner; in forming a loving relationship despite the requisite pain and suffering.

### ‘The Evening and the Morning and the Night’ (1987)

‘The Evening and the Morning and the Night’ continues the first story’s excellence, introducing a genetic disorder that causes unpredictably violent and suicidal behavior in those affected by it. Society, being how it is, punishes those born with this genetic disorder, pushing them to the outskirts of society much as our culture silently does with special needs individuals (which, of course, exacerbates their condition, turning the violence into a cycle). Like ‘Bloodchild,’ this story is required reading.

### ‘Near of Kin’ (1979), ‘Speech Sounds’ (1983), and ‘Crossover’ (1971)

The original edition of Bloodchild and Other Stories only had three more stories, all shorter and less consistent. ‘Near of Kin’ and ‘Crossover’ aren’t sci-fi, and are brief moments in the lives of fragmenting families: In ‘Near of Kin,’ a young woman goes through her mother’s belongings after she passes away. She reflects on her poor relationship with her mom, and of her better, if timid, relationship with her living uncle — who, it’s suggested, is her dad. ‘Crossover,’ Butler’s first-published story (1971), follows a young, miserable woman struggling with an abusive boyfriend, a miserable job, and thoughts of suicide. These two aren’t bad, but didn’t leave much of an impression.

‘Speech Sounds’ is a fairly standard mid-’80s post-apocalyptic story. The world’s social order has broken down after a virus causes every living person to either lose their ability to speak or read/write. Each group — speakers and readers — is led by jealousy and trouble communicating, leading to a plot straight out of the Road Warrior. This story, about a young woman who makes a fleeting acquaintance with someone not awful, is exciting, yes, but the apocalypse was never believable, and, like the page-count, the characters are in and out of the story too quickly to be memorable.

It’s rare that I can get into short stories as it is, and these three, while good, remind me more of every other short story writer I’ve had trouble getting into despite accolades (Ray Bradbury, Amy Hempel).

### ‘Positive Obsession’ (1989) and ‘Furor Scribendi’ (1993)

The two essays that closed the original ’95 publication of Bloodchild, ‘Positive Obsession’ and ‘Furor Scribendi,’ include stories from Butler’s life as well as advice to aspiring writers. Her writing background is fascinating, publishing sci-fi at a time when Samuel Delany was the only accepted black sci-fi writer. Octavia didn’t have much in the way of role models or family encouragement: Black women shouldn’t write, especially genre fiction.

Her writing advice that accompanies her flash-biography is simple: Keep writing, keep trying — become obsessed. Butler intentionally shuns the garbage of the self-help industry to get her message across: There’s no talent — nothing innate in respected writers — there’s only their obsessions that drive them to try and try again.

These two short essays may be far more valuable than any self-help book or guide for writers.

### ‘Amnesty’ (2003)

Butler’s return to short stories is stunning, with both ‘Amnesty’ and ‘the Book of Martha’ being some of the most intellectually- and emotionally-demanding work in the collection. ‘Amnesty’ is a marriage of classic sci-fi tropes, careful characterization, and damning social commentary.

An alien civilization has landed. Like in Ted Chiang’s ‘Story of Your Life,’ the Communities landed quietly in the world’s deserts, barely interacting with us as we’re studied from a distance. People have been abducted — never with any nefarious intent, though some have suffered simply due to communication issues — and slab cities have been erected around the Communities. The Communities are peaceful, each individual actually a population in itself of plant-like entities, minds working as one.

The story revolves around a former abductee interviewing candidates from outside the Communities to work for the Communities. As the interviewer, she gets a number of questions about why she is working for the species, and her reasoning is the meat of this story, relevant particularly to political events in 2017:

After her abduction, Noah was kidnapped by her own government and tortured for years. They didn’t understand the Communities — rather feared them — and wouldn’t believe that she wasn’t an agent working on the aliens’ behalf to harm mankind. Mankind, embroiled in heated competition with itself, is hardly prepared to handle an alien species which, they assume, must be after the same thing. It’s a cycle of fear and hatred, and Noah felt no choice in escaping persecution. What the Communities offer her is a home: She’s no longer welcome among mankind, tainted by this alien experience.

Octavia Butler’s gleamed more truths about humanity than most of us ever could.

### ‘The Book of Martha’ (2005)

The final story Butler ever wrote, ‘the Book of Martha’ is another bombshell on the reader’s feelings. The idea is simple (and even cliche): God meets with Martha in her dreams. Martha’s an everywoman figure, rising from nothing to moderate success. S/he asks for her help in shaping humanity’s future, in helping dilute anger and hatred and religious persecution in favor of a paradise.

The rest of this story is their conversation, their debates on how her varying ideas would help or harm the vision of an earthly paradise: Who would benefit, who would suffer. The only way to benefit everyone — hopefully — they realize, is through that individual’s dreams.

‘The Book of Martha’ offers an interesting thought experiment, and it’s surprising that a philosophical conversation with the self makes for as entertaining a story as this is.

---

Short stories rarely appeal to me the way novels do, but Bloodchild and Other Stories is an excellent introduction to Butler’s writing. Her ideas are brilliantly creative, her social commentary sharp, the empathy of her characters deep — I can’t wait to move on to her other work. ( )
2 vote alaskayo | May 17, 2017 |
I am not much of a science-fiction fan. I chose to read Bloodchild and Other Stories because I had read somewhere that there was a short story in it, Speech Sounds, that imagines a society (due to a virulent disease) that has lost the ability for speech comprehension, along with losing the ability to read.

Being Deaf myself, I was curious how the late author Butler would have her characters communicate. Would they learn to communicate in Sign Language? Would Deaf people from all over be seen as wise people who could teach Sign Language?

The answers to my questions: No. Instead, these people are reduced to gestures and making incomprehensible sounds.

But, still, an intriguing premise. I was especially struck by how the MC in the story once had a library of books that she could no longer read. That would devastate me.

The other stories here (and there are also a couple personal essays) were mostly good. I especially liked The Book of Martha, in which God chooses an African-American woman (Martha) to take over his duties by coming up with a way to save the world from destroying itself by the people.

Would I read more by Butler? Perhaps I'll pick up Kindred at some point. I'm intrigued by the time-travel angle of that novel. Beyond that, I don't know. I do know that Butler is highly regarded in her genre. ( )
  ValerieAndBooks | Mar 31, 2017 |
Some interesting views on how people are with each other and perhaps when interacting with other species. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
I think that everything Butler ever wrote deserves 5 stars.

This book is much too short (as was Butler's time on this earth).
It includes five previously published stories, an autobiographical essay, an essay on writing, and two new-to-this book stories.
As well, it includes brief 'afterwords' by Butler about each piece.

Everything in the book is superb, thought-provoking and fascinating. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
"It's too easy to follow bad but attractive leaders, embrace pleasurable but destructive habits, ignore looming disaster because maybe it won't happen after all -- or maybe it will only happen to other people. That kind of thinking is part of what it means to be adolescent."
This version of the collection is the second edition. It adds 2 more stories to the original collection (“Amnesty” and “The Book of Martha”). Please do not combine the two.

Collects these stories
"Bloodchild"
"The Evening and the Morning and the Night"
"Near of Kin"
"Speech Sounds"
"Crossover"
"Positive Obsession" (essay)
"Furor Scribendi"(essay)
"Amnesty"
"The Book of Martha"

A collection of chilling fiction, including Hugo and Nebula Award-winning stories, from Octavia E Butler.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,447,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible