A Matter of Magic by Patricia Wrede

A Matter of Magic (edition 2010)

by Patricia Wrede

528819,108 (4)13
Member:Susanne_53
Title:A Matter of Magic
Authors:Patricia Wrede
Info:Orb Books (2010), Edition: Second Edition, Paperback, 448 pages

A Matter of Magic by Patricia C. Wrede

A fun read through Victorian-era London with a bit of street-tough slang and some magic, to boot. Patricia Wrede's strong attention to detail brings a heroine street urchin to life, and she's definitely someone who has street smarts and the will to survive. Not to be outdone, a higher class woman (also a wizard) comes into the first book, and the second features Mairelon's mother and his snoopy old aunt. Many characters leave the head reeling at first, but each ending resolves the mystery of why so many?" and "what really happened?" A great entertaining read for YA readers and those who enjoy YA novels written at a higher level." ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
A two book set set in an alternate England of the Regency time period where magicians are real. The young female heroine lives by her wits, dressed as a boy, and accepts a job to steal from someone who turns out to be a magician She is taken in by him as an apprentice and they both proceed to look into evil doings. The second book follows their further dealings, but in a more usual Regency romance setting with the same magical background as before.
I'm not the right audience for the book, which is YA and seemed rather predictable. 2.5 stars. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Extremely well written. The lingo of time and place was superb and never missed a beat. ( )
  Aubri | Apr 30, 2015 |
4.75
Brilliant, I loved it!
I've already reviewed Mairelon the Magician and The Magician's Ward separately but I want to add this edition as well.
Strange as it may seem, reading the two books when they were together in the same volume made a difference to how I read it and to how much I enjoyed it.

I'd actually forgotten that it was 2 books in one, so as I was reading the climax and resolution of the first book, I was subconsciously presuming that this was some sort of false alarm and we weren't actually going to solve the mystery for another couple of hundred pages!

I'm actually really glad that it happened because it meant that I didn't worry about how it was going to end and I could just enjoy the book.

It was also really nice to go be able to read the second one straight away and not have to track it down first!
I was really hoping that there would be a third one but it seems not... :(

I recommend it to anyone! It's a great story and a fun read.
I particular recommend it to people who like historical fantasy, mystery or adventure. ( )
  Gorthalon | Dec 7, 2014 |
Two of my favorite Wrede books bound together.

In Mairelon the Magician, petty thief Kim takes a commission to search a magician's wagon for a certain silver bowl and finds herself first caught, and then tangled up in the magician's business.

In the Magician's Ward Kim, now Mairelon's ward, attempts to cope with the demands of society and a rogue magician while gradually coming to the realization that it's Mairilon's approval that really concerns her.
  SunnySD | Mar 18, 2013 |

Wrede, Patricia C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kim walked slowly through the crowd, slipping in and out of the traffic almost without thinking. (Mairelon the magician)
Cold rain drizzled on the dark London streets--at least, it looked cold. (Magician's ward)
'Magic & Malice' / 'A Matter of Magic': omnibus of 'Mairelon the Magician' / 'Magician's Ward'

After being caught stealing from a traveling magician's wagon, street waif Kim becomes his apprentice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,617,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible