A Matter of Magic by Patricia Wrede

A Matter of Magic (edition 2010)

by Patricia Wrede

Member:Susanne_53
Title:A Matter of Magic
Authors:Patricia Wrede
Info:Orb Books (2010), Edition: Second Edition, Paperback, 448 pages

A Matter of Magic by Patricia C. Wrede

A two book set set in an alternate England of the Regency time period where magicians are real. The young female heroine lives by her wits, dressed as a boy, and accepts a job to steal from someone who turns out to be a magician She is taken in by him as an apprentice and they both proceed to look into evil doings. The second book follows their further dealings, but in a more usual Regency romance setting with the same magical background as before.
I'm not the right audience for the book, which is YA and seemed rather predictable. 2.5 stars. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Extremely well written. The lingo of time and place was superb and never missed a beat. ( )
  Aubri | Apr 30, 2015 |
4.75
Brilliant, I loved it!
I've already reviewed Mairelon the Magician and The Magician's Ward separately but I want to add this edition as well.
Strange as it may seem, reading the two books when they were together in the same volume made a difference to how I read it and to how much I enjoyed it.

I'd actually forgotten that it was 2 books in one, so as I was reading the climax and resolution of the first book, I was subconsciously presuming that this was some sort of false alarm and we weren't actually going to solve the mystery for another couple of hundred pages!

I'm actually really glad that it happened because it meant that I didn't worry about how it was going to end and I could just enjoy the book.

It was also really nice to go be able to read the second one straight away and not have to track it down first!
I was really hoping that there would be a third one but it seems not... :(

I recommend it to anyone! It's a great story and a fun read.
I particular recommend it to people who like historical fantasy, mystery or adventure. ( )
  Gorthalon | Dec 7, 2014 |
Two of my favorite Wrede books bound together.

In Mairelon the Magician, petty thief Kim takes a commission to search a magician's wagon for a certain silver bowl and finds herself first caught, and then tangled up in the magician's business.

In the Magician's Ward Kim, now Mairelon's ward, attempts to cope with the demands of society and a rogue magician while gradually coming to the realization that it's Mairilon's approval that really concerns her.
  SunnySD | Mar 18, 2013 |
A Matter of Magic was a nice, quick read that fulfilled my desire for both fantasy and historical fiction. Originally published as two separate books, Mairelon the Magician (published in 1991) and The Magician’s Ward (published in 1997), A Matter of Magic gives you both for the price of one.

The stories in both books are not directly related, but it makes sense to offer the reader’s the full tale of Kim and Mairelon in one book. The first part of the book, originally Mairelon the Magician, I found entertaining, but at times confusing. There were a lot of secondary characters and everyone was after the same thing, some set of magic trinkets, that I kept easily getting confused and could not keep straight what character was what and who was good in bad. As the book progressed it got clearer but I was still confused until after the climax, where what everyone has been searching for is found. Then everything became clearer.

I enjoyed the second installment, originally The Magician’s Ward, a lot more then the first part. I was able to read through the second half much faster and make a lot more sense of the story. I loved seeing Kim progress from a street rat living as a thief into a respectable lady. The plot was not as complicated as the first half of the book making it a lot easier to understand. My only issue with this story line was the romance seemed to jump a little to quickly off the page. I saw it coming but would have liked to see it developed a bit more before the “bam! I’m in love.”

Overall, this book was a nice, quick read that I brought on a whim for Nook. I enjoyed it and did fulfill my desire to read historical and fantasy fiction at the same time. ( )
  danijohns | Aug 2, 2011 |

Wrede, Patricia C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kim walked slowly through the crowd, slipping in and out of the traffic almost without thinking. (Mairelon the magician)
Cold rain drizzled on the dark London streets--at least, it looked cold. (Magician's ward)
'Magic & Malice' / 'A Matter of Magic': omnibus of 'Mairelon the Magician' / 'Magician's Ward'

After being caught stealing from a traveling magician's wagon, street waif Kim becomes his apprentice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,874,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible