A Matter of Magic by Patricia Wrede

A Matter of Magic (edition 2010)

by Patricia Wrede

429None24,534 (3.99)10
Member:Susanne_53
Title:A Matter of Magic
Authors:Patricia Wrede
Info:Orb Books (2010), Edition: Second Edition, Paperback, 448 pages

Magic & Malice, or A Matter of Magic by Patricia C. Wrede

Recently added byTurrean, private library, sachaurora, ananda_ren, ncosta, criacow, navelos, humouress
alternate history (4) ebook (7) England (14) fantasy (119) fiction (33) historical (13) historical fantasy (11) historical fiction (12) Kindle (5) library (3) London (6) magic (33) magicians (7) mannerpunk (3) mystery (8) novel (3) omnibus (10) paranormal (4) read (4) regency (22) Regency England (5) romance (11) series (4) sff (7) teen (4) to-read (11) unread (8) wizards (5) YA (10) young adult (27)

Kim, a sometime pickpocket masquerading as a boy, is asked to look into Mairelon the Magician. She reluctantly agrees, with unexpected consequences. Enjoyable, but not as good as Wrede’s collaborative Kate and Cecelia series (Sorcery and Cecelia, The Grand Tour, and The Mislaid Magician). ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |
Two of my favorite Wrede books bound together.

In Mairelon the Magician, petty thief Kim takes a commission to search a magician's wagon for a certain silver bowl and finds herself first caught, and then tangled up in the magician's business.

In the Magician's Ward Kim, now Mairelon's ward, attempts to cope with the demands of society and a rogue magician while gradually coming to the realization that it's Mairilon's approval that really concerns her.
  SunnySD | Mar 18, 2013 |
A Matter of Magic was a nice, quick read that fulfilled my desire for both fantasy and historical fiction. Originally published as two separate books, Mairelon the Magician (published in 1991) and The Magician’s Ward (published in 1997), A Matter of Magic gives you both for the price of one.

The stories in both books are not directly related, but it makes sense to offer the reader’s the full tale of Kim and Mairelon in one book. The first part of the book, originally Mairelon the Magician, I found entertaining, but at times confusing. There were a lot of secondary characters and everyone was after the same thing, some set of magic trinkets, that I kept easily getting confused and could not keep straight what character was what and who was good in bad. As the book progressed it got clearer but I was still confused until after the climax, where what everyone has been searching for is found. Then everything became clearer.

I enjoyed the second installment, originally The Magician’s Ward, a lot more then the first part. I was able to read through the second half much faster and make a lot more sense of the story. I loved seeing Kim progress from a street rat living as a thief into a respectable lady. The plot was not as complicated as the first half of the book making it a lot easier to understand. My only issue with this story line was the romance seemed to jump a little to quickly off the page. I saw it coming but would have liked to see it developed a bit more before the “bam! I’m in love.”

Overall, this book was a nice, quick read that I brought on a whim for Nook. I enjoyed it and did fulfill my desire to read historical and fantasy fiction at the same time. ( )
  danijohns | Aug 2, 2011 |
Another book (set of books, it was previously published as two) that I'm not sure how I missed. It's a very alternate-history early-Victorian world where magic and magicians are accepted as part of the world. The first novel read very well. I did have a few problems with anachronisms. Kim? As a victorian name? I may be uninformed, but next to the Victorian and fantasy names it felt wrong. The second novel was believable as well, but seemed a little disconnected with the first, especially in the appearance and age of the Mairelon character. Once I gave up on that and went with it, though, it was an enjoyable read as well. ( )
  auroraceleste | Dec 21, 2010 |
I have been a fan of Ms. Wrede's books for years. I remember being entranced with Sorcery and Cecelia (written with Caroline Stevermer) and searching used bookstores to find multiple copies. I loved her Enchanted Forest series and still recommend them to my middle school fantasy lovers. I remember reading Mairelon the Magician and The Magician's Ward when they were first published in 1991 and 1997. I was eager to replace my old, worn paperbacks with this new edition.

These books are wonderful - well-written and funny. They are Regency romances with magic. Our hero is Richard Merrill, first known to our heroine as Mairelon. He is a well-to-do, upper class wizard who we first meet as he is trying to track down a set of magical objects that society thinks he has stolen. Our heroine is Kim who was raised on the street to be a thief and who is hired to break into Mairelon's wagon to see if he has a certain object. By the way, she has been passing as a boy for a number of years but Mairelon sees right through her disguise. He catches her but doesn't turn her in to the law. Rather, he makes her his apprentice in the hunt for treasure. Our heroine spends a good part of the story exasperated with him and trying to keep him out of trouble. The story gets increasingly funny as more and more people of various station and for various reasons join the hunt for the missing magical objects.

The second story has Kim living in London as Mairelon's ward and learning to be a wizard. This time the problem resolves around some books containing magic spells and the variety of people who want to gather the books to perform the spells. Kim also has the problem of finding her place in high society. She doesn't think society will accept her and doesn't want to embarrass Mairelon. ( )
2 vote kmartin802 | Jun 25, 2010 |

Wrede, Patricia C.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rostant, LarryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kim walked slowly through the crowd, slipping in and out of the traffic almost without thinking. (Mairelon the magician)
Cold rain drizzled on the dark London streets--at least, it looked cold. (Magician's ward)
'Magic & Malice' / 'A Matter of Magic': omnibus of 'Mairelon the Magician' / 'Magician's Ward'

After being caught stealing from a traveling magician's wagon, street waif Kim becomes his apprentice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible