Stolen: Otherworld: Bk 2 by Kelley Armstrong

Stolen: Otherworld: Bk 2 (edition 2004)

by Kelley Armstrong

Member:Kalika
Title:Stolen: Otherworld: Bk 2
Authors:Kelley Armstrong
Info:Plume (2004), Paperback, 480 pages

Stolen by Kelley Armstrong

Burn For Me (Phoenix Fire Novel) by Cynthia Eden (Sarielle)
    Sarielle: There are many similarities in plot. In both books, people conduct experiments on paranormals in the secret labs. Both contain mad scientists and strong heroines.

English (72)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (75)
Stolen
3 Stars

Beware: Minor Spoilers Ahead

Following up on a tip, Elena Michaels learns of the existence of other supernatural beings and is later kidnapped and held captive by a mismatched group of individuals, each with their own agenda. Will Elena be able to use her wits to survive or will she be hunted down and destroyed?

A promising sequel that does not quite live up to its potential - the pacing is off with a strong beginning, an unnecessarily drawn out middle and an exciting ending. The world building lacks definition and the heroine is difficult to empathize with.

The idea of the interspecies council is very interesting. Unfortunately, none of the races is properly fleshed out and, at first glance, they all appear to be preoccupied with their own needs without any real interest in working together. That said, the group does ultimately form an alliance, but whether this will play out in future books remains to be seen.

The most significant problem is Elena’s inconsistent characterization. On the one hand, she is all about maintaining her independence and strength of will (especially when it comes to Clay’s overprotectiveness), but once she is captured, she seems to forget that she is werewolf. Instead of using her supposed strength and resourcefulness to protect herself and others, she becomes meek and submissive with too many TSTL moments. Yes, she is a captive and that ostensibly means that she is at the whim of her captors, but the Elena in Bitten would never have allowed herself to become a victim.

Beware rant ahead! Why do so many UF authors feel the need to degrade their heroines by turning them into victims either by rape or humiliation? This is NOT a good trope and all it manages to do it undermine the character’s strength by having them be perceived as weak and ineffectual. If you create a strong, kick-ass heroine, keep it that way!

Rant over - continue reading …

Another issue with Elena’s character is her relationship with Clay. She remains unable to forgive him for his past actions and is often cold and cruel to him. This makes her appear childish and petty, especially given his obvious devotion and love for her. Nevertheless, she does seem to grow and change as the story progresses so there may still be hope in this area.

The secondary cast are the real highlight of the book. Whether it be the narcissistic sociopath intent on hunting supernaturals, the self-absorbed scientist obsessed with investigating the unknown, the spoiled little rich girl socialite with daddy issues that cause her to make a crucial error in judgement, the hedonistic vampire with a troubling past, the naive witch lacking in practical experience and the eager half-demon with anger management problems - each is well-developed and contributes to the overall plot and world building.

All in all, not withstanding its problems Stolen has its engaging moments. Moreover, the next installment focuses on a different heroine ans as such, I am willing to give Armstrong’s series the benefit of the doubt. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I must say that this one was a little bit of a letdown from the first book. I honestly thought it was a sequel of sorts or at the least a continuation of Elena’s story as laid out it Bitten. While this book had Elena as our ever wry witted narrator it was very much a set up for the other supernatural beings’ stories in the series. As such, this isn’t going to be a favorite for me. I freely admit that I enjoy vampires, witches, fey, demons & various other supernatural sorts in limited dose and have to be in the mood for them to really love them. I keep them far & few between in my reading, still this was not a bad read. I did like the take on all of the other supernaturals even if I’m not inclined to actually read those books in this series. I’m still all in for Elena & the Pack.

That said, I liked the beginning & Elena’s voice is still clear. I did wish there was more with Clay & Jeremy but it was good to see how Elena fared when in isolation & under duress. I admit that I didn’t really care much about the other non-Pack characters but I distinctly disliked Paige, so there’s that. I don’t know how I feel about WInslow’s “fate” but I was certainly hoping for him to have a different end. I’m going to read Broken next because that’s Elena & Pack centric & I have Frostbitten on my desk as well, so my nonfangirling over this one has no bearing on my want to continue the series. I’d recommend this one to anyone who is interested in the entire series spanning all the supernaturals but not to anyone looking for an intensive Elena/Clay story.
  anissaannalise | Feb 28, 2018 |
So exCITING! All runnin' around, killin' things. Plus, there's a psychopathic computer video game designer. How can you go wrong with that?

I'd read the first several of these books about 2 years ago, so I'm re-reading them before reading the ones that have been released in the 2 years since then. I was a little surprised at how little I remember from the books - must not be that great if they're so unmemorable, but they're fun to read in the moment. =) ( )
  ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |
Atteso, sospirato e particolarmente agognato da moltissime lettrici italiane, ecco finalmente nelle nostre librerie “Stolen”, secondo romanzo della serie “Women of the Otherworld” (Kelley Armstrong) di cui Bitten era stato l’avvincente prologo. È infatti con Stolen che la serie vera e propria prende il via allontanandosi dalla tematica centrale che era stato affrontato in Bitten, ossia la storia d’amore tormentata fra Elena e Clay.

In Stolen le cose prendono chiaramente una piega più intensa e complessa fin dalle prime pagine. Non sono più Elena ed il suo passato complesso, Clay con il suo lato animalesco e le dinamiche del Branco a fare da epicentro alle vicende del romanzo. Pur essendo i licantropi della Armostrong i protagonisti indiscussi del romanzo, avremo modo di allargare le nostre conoscenze del mondo fantastico in cui essi si muovono e potremo conoscere altre “Women of the Otherworld”.

Elena ha finalmente accettato il suo ruolo all’interno del branco e si occupa di controllare la rete informatica e gli avvistamenti di potenziali licantropi in America. Sarà proprio per questo motivo che verrà attirata ad un incontro un po’ particolare con delle Streghe. Ebbene sì, Elena scoprirà che i licantropi non sono gli unici esseri sovrannaturali nel mondo ed il Branco, benché mal volentieri, si ritroverà a dover collaborare con altri esseri di cui hanno sempre ignorato l’esistenza per il raggiungimento di un fine comune: salvare le loro esistenze e il loro anonimato.

Appare chiaro che gli uomini, anche se non tutti, hanno scoperto dell’esistenza dei licantropi, vampiri, streghe ed altri esseri sovrannaturali e sono del tutto intenzionati a studiarli per poter creare una nuova razza umana.

Ed ecco che appare immediatamente percepibile che Stolen è un romanzo di tutt'altra levatura rispetto a Bitten (che ricordiamo, è comunque uno dei migliori urban fantasy in circolazione). Le tematiche sono complesse, lo spessore stesso di tutta la trama ha radici e sviluppi ben più articolati e carichi di suspense. I risvolti introspettivi portano il lettore ad affrontare la lettura di questo romanzo sotto tutto un nuovo punto di vista, spingendolo a riflettere. Chi è il vero mostro? Il vampiro che beve il sangue o l’umano che catturano, torturano, sequestrano e uccidono a loro discrezione? Quali sono i veri “cattivi”? Il licantropo che uccide senza rimorsi per proteggersi o l’essere umano che in nome di chissà quale ideale si appresta a sacrificare vite indiscriminatamente?

E così i nostri “mostri” diventano più umani degli esseri umani veri e propri e la scrittura graffiante e seducente di Kelley Armostrong ci trascina in un nuovo mondo, il mondo alternativo degli esseri Sovrannaturali.

Avremo modo di seguire i fatti dal punto di vista di Elena, la nostra eroina licantropa, che animata dalla penna della Armstrong si mostra ai nostri occhi come una protagonista pragmatica, coraggiosa, forte, seducente e testarda al limite dell’avventato. Il suo rapporto con suo “marito”, Clay, benché complesso, è finalmente diventato un porto sicuro per entrambi che sono riusciti a scendere a compromessi con le loro rispettive nature e quindi a consolidarsi. Non è quel che si potrebbe definire una rapporto pacato ma, a modo loro, con tutte le loro burrascose emozioni è l’unica cosa certa della loro vita: si amano e non si separeranno.

Stolen non ha nulla di sdolcinato o fresco, ma bensì è un romanzo crudo, avvincente, brutale, realistico ed intenso i cui colpi di scena – spesso cruenti – si susseguono ad un ritmo forsennato. Un romanzo per adulti, in poche parole e, oseremmo aggiungere, per fortuna.

Come già detto l’aspetto soprannaturale assume una maggior importanza e si concretizza in vampiri, semidemoni, stregoni vudù, streghe… Le maggiori razze soprannaturali condensate in 400 pagine cariche di adrenalina che spalanca le porte del mondo creato dall’autrice e ci presenta, piano piano, i personaggi che l’abiteranno e ci faranno compagnia anche nei prossimi romanzi. Non a caso il prossimo romanzo verrà narrato dal punto di vista di Paige, la giovare strega Capo della Congrega, dal caratterino tutt’altro che facile…

Tutti i personaggi vengono descritti e caratterizzati, perfino quelli appena accennati, con sapienti pennellate in grado di imprimerli nella mente del lettore a fuoco. Le basi per molteplici possibili sviluppi sono stati gettati stuzzicando così l’immaginario del lettore, senza però gravarlo con fastidiosi cliffhanger.

In definitiva una romanzo da leggere, con calma, e da assaporare in ogni suo aspetto: assolutamente consigliato. Unico appunto? Avrebbero anche potuto mantenere il prezzo di lancio di Bitten, noi non ci saremmo certo lamentati! ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
Canning, NellNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, for buying me my first writing journal and expecting me to fill it.
He hated the forest.
"Like most animals, we spent a large part of our lives engaged in the three F's of basic survival: feeding, fighting, and . . . reproduction." Elena
"Other parents warn their kids not to talk to strangers. I had to warn mine not to eat them." Jeremy
"When I glanced at the chair, it started to shake. I’d like to think it was scared of me, but I rarely invoked that response in living things, let alone inanimate objects. "

In Bitten, thirty-year-old Elena Michaels came to terms with her feral appetites and claimed the proud identity of a beautiful, successful woman - and the only living female werewolf.
In Stolen, on a mission for her own elite pack, she is lured into the net of ruthless Internet billionaire Tyrone Winsloe, who has funded a bogus scientific investigation of the "other races" and their supernatural powers. Kidnapped and studied in his underground lab deep in the Maine woods, these paranormals - witches, vampires, shamans, werewolves - are then released and hunted to the death in a real-world video game. But when Winsloe captures Elena, he finally meets his match.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0452285933, Mass Market Paperback)

It was in Bitten, Kelley Armstrong’s debut novel, that thirty-year-old Elena Michaels came to terms with her feral appetites and claimed the proud identity of a beautiful, successful woman—and the only living female werewolf.

In Stolen, on a mission for her own elite pack, she is lured into the net of ruthless Internet billionaire Tyrone Winsloe, who has funded a bogus scientific investigation of the "other races" and their supernatural powers. Kidnapped and studied in his underground lab deep in the Maine woods, these paranormals—witches, vampires, shamans, werewolves—are then released and hunted to the death in a real-world video game. But when Winsloe captures Elena, he finally meets his match.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:36 -0400)

On a mission for her own elite pack, female werewolf Elena Michaels is lured into the net of a ruthless Internet billionaire who kidnaps "other races" with supernatural powers, releases them in the Maine woods, and hunts them to the death in a real-world video game.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,344,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible