The Last Necromancer by C. J. Archer

The Last Necromancer

by C. J. Archer

3.5 stars ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
ya-only-means-no-gratuitous-erotica, action-adventure, london, 19th-century, fantasy
Read on September 15, 2016

Young adult only means no gratuitous erotica, but there is some violence. Survival as a boy was her only way of life after her father condemned and disowned her following her amazed and horrified discovery that she had influence over her newly dead mother. After she escapes from gaol 5 years later, she is kidnapped by a group of rather self righteous men with an unusual imperative. That's all you get, no spoilers, read the publisher's blurb for more clues. I really enjoyed it, and was unaware that it was YA until I settled in to do the review. Good writing, and a fresh imagination bring this sassy survivor and all of the other characters to life! ( )
  jetangen4571 | Sep 17, 2016 |
This book was not terrible! I know that doesn’t sound like much of compliment, but I did not have high expectations for The Last Necromancer. I just wanted something light and fun with a little bit of romance. This book satisfied my yen. It’s a character-driven story featuring a plucky, sharp-tongued heroine and somehow also a nefarious plot involving Doctor Frankenstein (just go with it). I’m not a huge fan of the whole girl-falls-for-kidnapper trope, but I did ask for a little romance and that’s exactly what I got. While The Last Necromancer is nothing spectacular, it’s certainly not bad, especially for a self-published title. I definitely plan on reading the sequel. (Releasing the first two books within weeks is a genius strategy on the author’s part.) ( )
  les121 | Aug 23, 2015 |
Charlie or Charlotte, is an 18 year old girl who for the last 5 years has been living in the slums as a boy because she has a secret that is too much for even her to bear. Living as a boy kept her from being sold into the sex slave trade or being used by men of less than honorable ways. Charlie’s secret will keep her alive but it may also be the cause of deaths of many if she does not figure out why so many want to control her and own her.
This is a new twist on the old Frankenstein books. Though I am not a big fan of Frankenstein this book is quite well written and gives you a very good read through out and keeps you reading. ( )
  lcsdr60 | Aug 5, 2015 |
I really did want to like this book. The premise was intriguing and it was generally well written, painting a dark and evocative image of Victorian London. Yet, for all the horrible things that happened in the story, it never felt overly grim. Archer has a nice sense of humour that really shows through in the dialogue.

Although the novel quickly drew me in, by the half way mark I was beginning to grow disappointed. The plot of this novel really is wafer thin and its many holes are glossed over by some pretty weak explanations. For example: How did the doctor know that the Last Necromancer was in London? Well, he was in contact with a maid who happened to work in Charlie’s household. That’s great but how did he get in contact with that maid? She couldn’t have known to seek him out (the entirety of London couldn’t have been aware about a doctor who wanted to raise the dead) and he couldn’t have just contacted every household in London in the hope that one of them was correct.

Additionally, the novel did not stand alone very well. While it was a complete story in its own right, it also left so much unexplained that it didn't really feel complete. Only Charlie and Seth get complete backstories. We never even really find out anything about Fitzroy, even though he (almost) fulfils the role of the love interest. Little things are hinted here and there but Arthur seems to be saving anything concrete about him for a sequel. I wasn’t even really sure if he had any supernatural abilities or not as some of the things that he did within the story could not really be explained any other way.

Yet Charlie was the character that gave me the most issues. I found herself to be a frustratingly weak lead. Throughout the novel, she is captured and assaulted again and again. Despite the fact that she has spent years living on the streets, she loses all of her savvy as soon as she meets Fitzroy. Even when she briefly returns to the streets, she shows no survival instincts which left me wondering how she survived on her own for five years in the first place. In one late scene, she even proves that she is unable to overpower an aging priest. Charlie has an awesomely destructive power and yet always seems reluctant to use it, even when she has a ready supply of cadavers on hand. Instead, she seems to prefer to wait to be rescued by someone else at all times.

Anyhow, all in all I was disappointed. The novel showed some promise at first and did suck me in. However, I found myself disappointed on the whole. The story is pretty flimsy and Charlie’s repeated need to be rescued by men grew old very fast. I’m curious to see what will happen next but only if Fitzroy keeps his promise to teach Charlie how to defend herself. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Aug 2, 2015 |

C. J. Archer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,744,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible