Mixed Me! by Taye Diggs

Mixed Me!

by Taye Diggs

Other authors: Shane W. Evans (Illustrator)

The young narrator of this upbeat picture-book celebrates his life as a child of mixed racial ancestry, content that he is a blend of his father and mother, just as all children are. Brushing off the curious stares of outsiders, refusing intervention when it comes to his hair, he demonstrates self-confidence and self-acceptance, concluding that he is 'just right' as he is.

Actor Taye Diggs, whose debut picture-book, Chocolate Me!, addressed the themes of childhood self-acceptance and affirmation in the face of society's racial prejudices, returns to that idea in his follow up, Mixed Me!. Here his child narrator feels pressure to explain his status as a child of mixed-race parentage, and to choose where he truly belongs. Much like its predecessor, I found that although I was in sympathy with the idea of the book, the writing itself did nothing for me, and sometimes felt rather awkward. I was a little confused at one point, moreover, because the narrative seems to be describing a child whose parents are of different races, but the artwork seems to depict parents who are African-American, but of different shades. Then I looked online, and saw some scans of the artwork, particularly the page where the narrator's parents are kissing him, and I realized that my printing reproduces the illustrations incorrectly, with a far darker tone than in the original. I know that printing variations happen, but it seems like this would be something to pay particular attention to, in a picture-book of this nature. Leaving that issue aside, I did like Shane Evans' artwork, which was colorful and energetic, matching the tone of the text.

All in all, this was a mixed bag for me (no pun intended). I liked the idea of Mixed Me!, but not so much the execution. Still, tastes vary, and some parents and children may get good use out of the book, particularly if they are confronting the issues laid out in the story. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 8, 2017 |
Great book to use to teach cultural diversity or the importance of being unique or different. This book or Todd Parr's book on "It's okay to be different" are a few of my favorite books to use when teaching young minds that it's okay to have a different skin color or have curly or straight hair. We are all one human race and we are all beautiful in our own way. ( )
  cindybenavente | Apr 20, 2017 |
This story is about a boy named Mike who is a "blend of dark and light." It is a charming story about the day in the life of a mixed-race child.

My reaction to this book is that is it a good way for children to step into other children's shoes to see the things that happen in other children's lives.

In the classroom I would have the students write about their lives and what they go through and if a few want to share I would let them share so other students can know what they go through.
  madison.young | Mar 26, 2017 |
Review: The book is about a boy who goes to school to explain to his friends that he is mixed and he doesn't want to have to pick between one race because he is a perfect blend of his parents.

Personal: I feel that this book describes mixed children in a perfect way. I think it would help many children who don't quite understand what it means to have more than one ethnic or racial group.

Classroom: Have the children to draw or paint a picture of what they would think a mixed child is before reading the book.
  courtneynorton | Mar 24, 2017 |
Mixed Me by Taye Diggs is about a young boy who embraces being mixed. He goes to school everyday and tells all the kids what his parents tell him, that he is mixed just right. He tells the other kids not to touch his hair. He compares himself to different types of juices and other things and asks the kids "why pick one race?" I think this is a good read. i would have liked to see more of the struggles he faces in school with other children due to being mixed. Overall, it was a good lesson to teach children in a classroom setting. ( )
  shaelyn_smith | Mar 22, 2017 |

Taye Diggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Evans, Shane W.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Mom and Dad say I'm a blend of dark and light:
"We mixed you perfectly, and got you just right."

Mike has awesome hair. He has LOTS of energy! His parents love him. And Mike is a PERFECT blend of the two of them.

Still, Mike has to answer LOTS of questions about being mixed. And he does, with LOTS of energy and joy in this charming story about a day in the life of a mixed-race child.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,926,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible