Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your…

Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your Biggest Challenges

by Amy Cuddy

Boring! I wanted to like the book, thinking maybe I might gain tips for job interviews. Previous feedback have included that I seem rather "quiet" or that I don't talk a lot. As an introvert, interviews are already a stretch for me and so I'm not sure how to better impress potential hiring people.

That said, I really didn't get anything worthwhile from the book. While I haven't watched the TED talk, I totally agree with reviews that say this book is quite repetitive. The e-mail and message reprints from her fans seemed odd and didn't really add much to the book. If anything, it made me think of book blurbs or sales pitches.

Also, some of the text just seemed like babble-y nonsense. The stories didn't really interest me and it felt like the material had been stretched. Other reviews confirm this: that it's both a TED talk and had been previously from an article. Many articles really don't need to be expanded into the book other than serving as a money-grabber.

Despite the recommendation, I'm not sure if I'll be checking out the TED talk. If the book is an expansion from this, it seems like the video will bore me too. I'd skip this book completely. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
This very interesting book draws from research in social psychology to offer practical guidance about how to manage anxiety and maintain self-confidence in stressful situations. ( )
  proflinton | Jul 24, 2017 |
Data-packed (bordering on too much) and powerful. ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
I chose this book to feed my social science inner geek. I had seen her TED talk https://www.ted.com/speakers/amy_cuddy and was drawn in by her personal story. Her book cites many, many studies including her own that support her theory on the mind/body connection. She weaves testimonials throughout which makes it very readable. She addresses a wide array of audiences from fearful public speakers to job seekers, to special needs people, children and those suffering with depression. If you enjoy a bit of science with your pop psych, this is worth the read. If not, just watch her talk and you will have the gist of her research. ( )
  beebeereads | Dec 20, 2016 |
Received this for Xmas from a sweet, well-meaning mama of a dear friend. But I just cannot. I hate TEDTalks and I hate self-help books, and I find myself hating the people who give or write them. 300 pages to tell me to assume a "powerful" posture before anxiety-producing situations, and that self-confidence will eventually follow? NOTHANKYOU. It took me less than 100 words to convey the gist. ( )
  reganrule | Jun 3, 2016 |

How can we be our strongest selves in life's most challenging situations? We often approach these situations -- job interviews, difficult conversations, speaking up for ourselves -- with anxiety and leave them with regret. Moments that require us to be genuine and powerful instead cause us to feel phony and powerless, preventing us from being our best selves.

Harvard professor Amy Cuddy shows us we need to stop worrying about the impression we're making on others, and instead change the impression we're making on ourselves. Cutting-edge science reveals that if we adopt behaviors reflecting power and strength, we liberate ourselves from the fears and doubts that obstruct us. By redirecting our thoughts, actions, and even physiology, we free ourselves to be our best.

Amy Cuddy galvanized viewers around the world with her TED talk about "power poses." Now she explains the science underlying these and many other fascinating body-mind effects, and teaches us how to use this science to become self-assured in high-pressure moments.

Impassioned, beautifully researched, and accessible, Presence is filled with stories of individuals facing real obstacles, and succeeding against the odds. Every reader will learn how to approach stress-filled challenges without fear and leave them without regret.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 29 Jul 2015 14:32:44 -0400)

Have you ever left a nerve-racking challenge and immediately wished for a do over? Maybe after a job interview, a performance, or a difficult conversation? The very moments that require us to be genuine and commanding can instead cause us to feel phony and powerless. Too often we approach our lives' biggest hurdles with dread, execute them with anxiety, and leave them with regret. By accessing our personal power, we can achieve "presence," the state in which we stop worrying about the impression we're making on others and instead adjust the impression we've been making on ourselves. As Harvard professor Amy Cuddy's revolutionary book reveals, we don't need to embark on a grand spiritual quest or complete an inner transformation to harness the power of presence. Instead, we need to nudge ourselves, moment by moment, by tweaking our body language, behavior, and mind-set in our day-to-day lives. Amy Cuddy has reached tens of millions of viewers around the world with her TED talk about "power poses." Now she presents the science underlying these and many other body-mind effects, and teaches us how to use simple techniques to liberate ourselves from fear in high-pressure moments, perform at our best, and connect with and empower others to do the same.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,558,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible