Nerdy Birdy by Aaron Reynolds

Nerdy Birdy

by Aaron Reynolds

There's a bird wearing a Dalek t-shirt. That's all I needed to make me adore this book. (That, and the lovely message about friendship, but.... BIRD IN A DALEK SHIRT.)
  sw502 | Aug 12, 2017 |
Nerdy Birdy is a new book that is part of the 2017 WA children's choice award nominee books. This funny story is about Nerdy, who loves anything to do with video games! But he feels he doesn't fit in anywhere. But he finally finds more nerdy friends to hang out with. A great story about that can be used to talk about friendship, communities, bullying, being one of a kind. ( )
  Kerri.York | Aug 2, 2016 |
Summary: Nerdy Birdy has big glasses, small wings, and is allergic to birdseed. He’s good at reading, playing video games, and reading about video games. He really wants to hang out with the cool birds, Eagle, Cardinal, and Robin. One day, he happens upon a bunch of other nerdy birds on a wire who convince him to join them. They point out there are more of them than the cool birds, and that the cool birds are actually so busy being cool that they don’t have any friends. Pretty soon, Nerdy Birdy has a whole gang of friends. Then along comes Vulture, who’s sort of, well, goth. The rest of the gang doesn’t like him, but Nerdy Birdy’s motto is, “There’s always room for another.” So he goes against the group, and before long, he’s made yet another friend. Ages 4-8.
  PamPopp | Jul 30, 2016 |
Love the message of this book. There is always room for 1 more friend. Nerdy Birdy doesn't fit in with the cool birds and he realizes that there are more 'nerdy' birds than the cool ones. As he learns about acceptance, he learns how to apply this to the new bird that doesn't fit in. ( )
1 vote Patty6508 | Jul 6, 2016 |
I really liked this book for many reasons. The illustrations enhanced the story tremendously. They always matched the text on each page. For example a page said, “Nerdy Birdy is scrounging for breadcrumbs.” The illustration on this specific was a little bird picking up breadcrumbs. The language was descriptive which made it easy for the reader to picture what was going on in their heads. For instance, the author said, “Their wings were too big. Their wings were too small. At least half of them had birdseed allergies. They all like to read.” When I was reading this I immediately able to imagine the bird with these qualities and reading. This book really does push readers to broaden their perspectives because it addresses a huge issue: being left over, or feeling like you don’t belong. With this said, I think the main idea of this book is accepting everyone no matter what they look like or like to do in their spare time. I would definitely use this in my classroom and I would stress that no one wants to feel lonely like the Nerdy Birdy did in the beginning of the book. ( )
  mennis2 | Apr 12, 2016 |

"A picture book about a nerdy birdy who just wants to hang out with the cool birds"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,560,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible