The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings by…

The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings

by Edgar Allan Poe

1,273136,211 (4.05)1 / 43
Recently added byCorinasQuill, Techan, EverettPantaloons, Irena., forsakenfates, DisneyDiva86, private library

Very Short.
Very Very Thrilling story.

Brings up the excitement with full acceleration in just a paragraph.
Then keeps it up till the very end - ending with a big bang.

I think I did hear my heart.
My adrenaline must have been pumping it fast. :) ( )
  maheswaranm | Mar 20, 2014 |
Artists all need a tragic muse. Hemingway had rum. Baudelaire had absinthe. Cobain had heroin. Hunter S. Thompson had all of the above, and then some. And Poe, if the accounts are to be believed, had rabies. After reading this, I believe them. Creepy stuff. ( )
  benjamin.duffy | Jul 28, 2013 |
Una de las primeras obras que leí de este autor, una trama fascinante donde la conciencia lleva al protagonista al borde de la desesparación. ( )
  Heinrich_Faust | Jul 20, 2013 |
you can't go wrong with this classic! ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
The Tell-Tale Heart is a story about an unnamed person who insists on their sanity after murdering an old man with an evil eye. The murder was cold, calculated and well executed, the body disposed; but the guilt slowly eats away at the person.

The story uses an unreliable narrator very effectively; driving the story without giving too much away, to keep it tense. The narrator is genderless though most people assume he’s a man, it could just as easily been a woman. The way the story is written, you can see the narrator slowly self-destructing; starting by insisting that they are innocent and sane.

I noticed Edgar Allan Poe seems to italicise words throughout the story – though some versions of the story put the words in uppercase. I gather it is done to add emphasis on the words but there is another reason why Poe used to do this. Poe used to italicise words that were foreign or words he thought he had made up or found another way to use the word.

The Tell-Tale Heart is a classic chiller and well executed to keep the reader feeling on edge. I’m glad I read it and it has given me some ideas on my current WIP. ( )
1 vote knowledgelost | Mar 31, 2013 |

Edgar Allan Poeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spitzweg, CarlCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Tell-Tale Heart: True!--nervous--very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am! but why will you say that I am mad?
"Villains!" I shrieked, "dissemble no more! I admit the deed! Tear up the planks! Here, here! It is the bleating of his hideous heart!"
The title page said this volume is based on the so called "Virginia" edition of 1902, that is "The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe" edited by James A. Harrison, Thomas Y. Crowell & Co., New York, 1902, (17 vol. )

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553212281, Mass Market Paperback)

Edgar Allan Poe remains the unsurpassed master of works of mystery and madness in this outstanding collection of Poe's prose and poetry are sixteen of his finest tales, including "The Tell-Tale Heart", "The Murders in the Rue Morgue", "The Fall of the House of Usher," "The Pit and the Pendulum," "William Wilson," "The Black Cat," "The Cask of Amontillado," and "Eleonora". Here too is a major selection of what Poe characterized as the passion of his life, his poems - "The Raven," "Annabel Lee," Ulalume," "Lenore," "The Bells," and more, plus his glorious prose poem "Silence - A Fable" and only full-length novel, The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:11 -0400)

The murder of an old man is revealed by the continuing beating of his heart.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,327,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible