The Devil's Fool by Rachel McClellan

It's worth the read. Poor Eve. She's a pawn in a game she doesn't even know she's playing. It is not hard to identify with her passive aggressive attitude, given the monsters rearing her. What I did find hard to deal with is her hypocritical, self-sacrificing demeanor in the latter books of the series. Why make Lucien care if she was going to check out when things were difficult for her? She wouldn't have understood if the roles were reversed. Which they are later... All in all. A good read. ( )
  nevong | Jul 5, 2017 |
Entralling

The devils fool was written in the first person which usually isn't my cup of tea but fitted this story perfectly, at first I thought this book was going along traditional lines in regard to story, I quickly found out this was not so. So to recap we have Eve the daughter of two powerful evil witches, mistreated and trying desperately to be the opposite of her parents, along comes Boaz and proceeds to rescue are fair Eve from this awful life and proceeds to coax her into becoming what she was born to. But sometimes things are not what they seem, Eve has a lot of trials and milestones to overcome throw into the mix a close friend who recruits eve into a secret organisation and a shady vampire that eve is fascinated by and we have an amazingly addictive read, looking forward to book two. ( )
  carpathian1974 | Jun 6, 2017 |
My original The Devil's Fool audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Eden is her safe haven and where she travels each night in her mind to get away from her abusive parents. Her parents are the movers and shakers in the political world and society. But each night they insist she use her magic. Each night she refuses until she has no choice but to fight for her life and the life of the vampire she is physically attracted to; she uses her magic – 18 years of suffering, pain and hate comes to simmer and boil over. Evil magic feels good, until … like anything evil, it is addictive and becomes uncontrollable. Another saves her and now she must save him through the power of good and love.

Eve must rediscover herself to save her friends. The question is can she do it and is she strong enough to face an evil much stronger and more persistent than her parents?

I enjoyed how Rachel McClellan told the story of Eve’s journey of self-discovery and ultimate sacrifices. A vivid and powerful storyteller, McClellan takes common relationship issues and stretches them beyond what we know, demonstrating how choices can affect us and others. Innocents without experience can be swallowed up quickly and completely; McClellan vividly portrayed that possibility into a reality through interactions between Eve and her friends/family.

I thought this was a good book, one I had a difficult time putting down and one that I sometimes found myself saying, “OMG what are you doing?” McClellan tells an engaging story that draws the reader in and when the book ends; well, you are left seeing when part 2 is coming out!

The narrator Veronica Fox performed the parts excellently, slowing it down and energizing it with power and excitement when appropriate. She became the characters but especially Eve. I enjoyed her performance immensely.

There were no issues with the production or quality of this audiobook.

Audiobook was provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | May 24, 2017 |
This was a dark but beautiful read. It was filled with suspenseful moments, and fast paced action. The characters came alive through the words and danced, changing and growing into beautiful- if somewhat terrible- beings.

Darkness is this woman's life, darkness and pain, yet she manages to stay innocent and hopeful until she met Boaz ( what a strange name) who wooed her with false sincerity into a true world of darkness and evil. She does terrible things but a spark of hope flutters to stay lit, Lucien, revives that spark. But it was too late as she is forced into the utter darkness. Still there is light, but it is not within Eve, but Lucien, who manages to save her. Granting mercy when he did not need to. Left to find the light, but craving the sad one who saved her she stumbles forward. Ever forward, looking towards the day they meet again and the peace and fireworks she feels towards this vampire. ( )
  mariahsidhe | Jan 3, 2017 |
More books about witches....Keep them coming! I love to read good books. This book was one of them. I can't get enough witches. I love the character of Eve and the story. I would read book 2. * I received this book on LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  Aly3636 | Mar 29, 2016 |

Eve's power-hungry witch parents will kill at the slightest insult, and Eve's unwillingness to use her own supernatural abilities is enough to incite them. Boaz, a powerful vampire, may be the only one able to save her, to give her the one thing she's never had--love. But in Eve's world, no one is who they seem and everyone has an agenda. And the more she stays with him, the more difficult it becomes to spot the true devils, especially when she becomes one herself.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Rachel McClellan's book The Devil's Fool was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Rachel McClellan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,896 books! | Top bar: Always visible