Apartment Therapy Complete and Happy Home by…

Apartment Therapy Complete and Happy Home

by Maxwell Ryan

I was tempted to buy this because I love the blog network" (as it's called on the back of the book... I prefer to think of it as an e-mag with an Instant and active 'letters to the editor' feature).

I'm glad I didn't.

Superficial, with odd examples. ?
1. The image that illustrates the intro to color has two clashing colors that take up about 40-50% of the space, and the 'rule' on the next page is "80 / 20" which says that 80% of a space should be done in neutrals.
2. The page on frames is illustrated by a poster sticky-tacked to the wall. ?áTo be fair, the text is a box on 'alternatives to frames and they actually used washi tape. ?áBut there are no illustrations there for the examples of actual frames and mats. ?áThere is another box on 'unexpected art' -- so, all told, there are about three short paragraphs on picking a frame. ?á

Also, it's by Apartment Therapy. ?áUm, most of the advice applies to homeowners, or, at the very least, condo dwellers or people who live in apartments where the landlord doesn't have any rules at all. ?áMudroom? ?áGarden? ?áThe advantages of concrete flooring?

I have learned that, though I prefer a more streamlined look and a lot less clutter, I do have to admit I lean to 'cottage' style.
And I will play with one of their recommended online resources: autodesk homestyler, at homestyler.com

Most of the rooms shown are by creative people, fashion designers, home decorators, etc., not regular folks. ?áAnd it shows. ?áImo, they're not appealing. ?á

I did get a few tips from further towards the end:?á

Hang posters from bulldog clips hung from "tiny nails."

Dust delicate items with a blow dryer (in conjunction of course with vacuum and Swiffer).

Flip rugs over and vacuum the underside at least twice a year.

If your faucet is dripping, try cleaning the aerator assembly.

Use a pair of magnets to hold a slightly out of line & sagging cabinet door shut.

Worn sofa seat cushions can be slipped into pillowcases. ?áI could use the old t-shirt trick for this... if I ever have upholstered furniture again. ?á(Right now I have not a single piece.)

Use an old metal bed frame, the kind with the grid of wires suspended by horizontal springs, instead of pegboard. ?áLooks subtly steampunk, goth, or antique behind a desk in a home office.

Paint a trompe l'oeil baseboard trim - the example showed an almost black floor, then a dark cream line maybe 4", then a dark chocolate stripe maybe 3.5 ", then another dark cream line about 1". ?áIt looks amazing. ?áAnything like that would probably be attractive, though, if one remembers to use deep, rich colors.

Well.
Go ahead and read this from your library if you want.
I will look for the other AT books, now that I know they exist.
But neither your nor I should have high hopes.?á

" ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |

The most comprehensive and complete home book from Apartment Therapy, featuring every aspect of design and decorating from floor plans to paint, specific rooms to style approaches, with the goal of setting up and living well in a place you love.

“A complete and happy home is so much more than a series of pretty rooms. Between these two covers, we’ve captured everything we’ve learned at Apartment Therapy about decorating, organizing, cleaning, and repairs, so you can make and maintain your own fabulous home.”

—from the Introduction

Getting a room to feel right is more instinct than science. You know a great space when you see it. Apartment Therapy trains your eye with more than 75 rooms, from bedrooms to kitchens and living rooms to kids’ rooms and workspaces. Explore every detail—lighting, color palettes, flooring, and accessories—that brings a home to life and, most important, makes you happy in it.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 01 Sep 2015 09:42:36 -0400)

"The first-ever complete home book from Apartment Therapy, featuring every aspect of design and decorating from floor plans to paint, specific rooms to style approaches, with the goal of setting up and living well in a place you love"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,410,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible