Z-Minus I by Perrin Briar

Any time I am offered an audiobook for FREE, I am over it like bees and pollen! Yesterday I was offered the audio version of Perrin Briar's Z-Minus: A Zombie Novella. It is the start of a zombie series concerning a father, Chris and his daughter, Maisie. As a natural lover of the Z-pocalypse, I felt it my duty to listen to the three hour tale.

I was walking when I listened to this audio, around 7am. I had to admit, I probably surprised people with the faces I made while listening. There were so many things wrong with this book, I wasn't sure if I was going to finish it or just delete it from Audible library! No joke, there are so many things wrong with our lead protagonist alone, that I was disgusted! Is this a sign of a horrible story, or a great storyteller?

I won't offer up any SPOILERS, but I can say that I don't believe I'll be reading the rest of the books in this series. There's a handful of issues. First one was the reader, Kenneth Toles. I found several people under this name, so I couldn't place a link, but he was a cool narrator, just NOT for this book! It took place in London and the narrator had no accent! What's with that?! Then, there's the lead character, Chris.

He wasn't real enough for me to enjoy. It may be the author's writing technique, but he carried no real emotions. He didn't panic when he saw his daughter dead and even talked to his dead wife about sleeping all day, though he clearly saw the gaping wound on the back of her neck! "Oh no, I've said too much- I set it up!" Okay, the thing is, there's a lot not quite right with this novella and it prevented me from enjoying it. I have to be real about it. I don't even know how to rate it. It wasn't scary. It wasn't horrifying and it wasn't gross, but there was a bit of funny.

*For full review, visit www.areneehunt.com, under the Books! Books! Books! tab.
**Audiobook available through Audible.com ( )
  AReneeHunt | Dec 20, 2016 |
Z-Minus: The Zombie Apocalypse by Perrin Briar was a different kind of zombie book as told through the eyes of a deadbeat, drunk, abusive husband and father who suddenly changes his spots at the beginning of the apocalypse. The protagonist makes it across town after surviving a near fatal car accident that totaled his vehicle only to find his wife and one of two daughters dead in their home and then witnesses their resurrection. He soon learns the rules for dealing with zombies after his neighbor enlightens him; in this case, once bitten or sneezed one, the person will die and resurrect in eight hours. When battling his older daughter in the house, she sneezed on him, and he reckoned that his countdown clock just has started. He soon comes upon his 8 year-old daughter who has survived the mayhem within the house and tries to push her away, not wanting her to see him turn after running out of time. With a little over 7 hours left, he decides to a place where she'll be safe. So they head across country to grandma's with the intent to drop her off and go off on his own.

During this cross-country ride, the daughter learns more about her father and why he turned into a deadbeat - she also learns how to hold her own during an attack. En route, they come upon other survivors with different agendas and packs of zombies while bonding for the first time in their lives. They learn more about one another! Do they survive the trip? Will grandma save the day? You'll have to read it to find out.

Unfortunately, I will not be reading the next installments and wish the author well.

John Podlaski, author of "Cherries - A Vietnam War Novel" and "When Can I Stop Running?" ( )
  JPodlaski | Jul 17, 2016 |
Z-Minus: A Post-Apocalypse Trilogy by Perrin Briar is a dystopian book that is frightening because the premise is a possibility. This is book one of three in a series.

I gave it five stars. Blair has a way with words that I like!

Chris woke puzzled. He figured out he had been in an automobile accident & was able to extricate himself from the wrecked car. He walked across the road to the Clifton housing estate."
The houses were two-storey terraces with small gravel front gardens. They were built back to back, like boucers at a nightclub under attack. It was the kind of place where you wiped your feet off on the way out."

He discovers his daughter & wife had been murdered. Even worse, they'd been turned into zombies. He escaped from the house & a neighbor told him that the gestation period for zombies takes eight hours. If you get infected you can become a carrier even before you turn into one. The only way to stop one is to destroy its brain.

Later he discovered his youngest daughter Maisie was still alive . He didn't want to take her with him so agreed to take her to her grandmother's house.

They went to a car dealership where the owner shot three zombies. "The zombies lay sprawled over the vehicle, their innards now outards, decorating the car."
He bought a Porsche to drive Maisie to Grandma's house. On the way they found deserted, broken, bloodied cars all over the road. "They came to a pinch point. Two cars jutted from either side into the clear trail, leaving a narrow gap. Chris slowed & edged through it. The wing mirrors high-fived one another."

Chris learned that if a person was infected, they had eight hours before turning. Things did not work out according to plan.

I received a complimentary copy from Amazon. That did not change my opinion for this review. ( )
  carolyninjoy | Jul 9, 2016 |
Terrible. The main character was a self-centered jerk with no redeeming characteristics. There was nothing unique about the zombie story. It was just bad. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,743,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible