The Darkangel (The Darkangel Trilogy) by…

The Darkangel (The Darkangel Trilogy) (original 1982; edition 2007)

by Meredith Ann Pierce

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:The Darkangel (The Darkangel Trilogy)
Authors:Meredith Ann Pierce
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2007), Paperback, 238 pages

The Darkangel by Meredith Ann Pierce (1982)

Treasure at the Heart of Tanglewood (ubcsfs)
    ubcsfs: For those who enjoyed the Darkangel series, Treasure at the Heart of the Tanglewood is a stand-alone novel by the same author that also features a female protagonist on a quest in a world alive with vivid colour and mysticality.
    The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle (inblackink)

Unassuming slave Aeriel’s life changes forever when the feared vampiric darkangel takes her mistress to be his thirteenth bride. In an attempt to rescue her, Aeriel becomes the darkangel’s servant and finds herself drawn to his cruel yet vulnerable nature and his terrible history. When an opportunity arises for Aeriel to go on a quest that will stop the darkangel’s ascent to full power, she must choose between killing him or finding another way to save him.

THE DARKANGEL did YA vampire romance way before Twilight, and I have wanted to read it for a while. While it didn’t blow me away (I’m starting to suspect that classic YA paranormal romance is just never going to make it onto my favorites list), THE DARKANGEL was still a decent read that deserves to have an audience in today’s YA paranormal scene.

Past the beginning—in which I felt Aeriel was a bit too teary for me to like—THE DARKANGEL quickly became an enjoyable read. There was always something going on, something new in Pierce’s world to discover, something new revealed about the darkangel’s past. Pierce does little obvious world-building—as in, no paragraphs-long descriptions of what we need to know, no world-building heavy-handedly woven into dialogue or characterizations, as many world-building attempts are wont to go—but it’s not long before you get a lingering image of the unique world that Aeriel must navigate in order to defeat the darkangel: a place not of Earth yet tied to it, a place fraught with magical possibilities yet eerily hostile to them.

Some of the events that took place in the plot veered towards outrageousness, but then I compared this to other YA paranormal romances that have somehow achieved bestsellerdom and then I felt a lot better about Pierce’s authorial decisions. I don’t have a strong urge to read about what the darkangel and Aeriel get up to next—this series is a bit too paranormal romance-y to be my thing, despite its incorporation of mythology and magic—but then again, I’m not averse to it. If I come back to that rare mood of mine where I want to read YA paranormal romance, I know where I’m going. ( )
  stephxsu | Jan 5, 2014 |
Yeah the title sounds horrible but this is actually a pretty okay science fantasy novel for young people with the coming-of-age theme you'd expect from such a thing and has nothing to do with contemporary YA "supernatural romance" formula trash. Between the genre, occasionally adorably obscure vocabulary and mystical symbolism it felt a little like a lite version of Gene Wolfe every now and then. Nothing an adult reader particularly needs to rush to check out though. ( )
  jhudsui | Aug 29, 2013 |
I have to wonder now if I loved this book because I read it in high school (and reread, and reread, and reread). I borrowed somebody else's copy of the book club edition of the trilogy so often that they finally just gave it to me.

I was drawn in my the happy ending of the first story, but then the author takes it so much further in the second book, and then even further in the third; not your typical story. I was always amazed by the foundations the author built in the first book that supported the last book, but didn't leave anything unfinished in the first book. It all works so well.

Have I matured beyond the book? I don't think so, but I'm going to have to read it again to be sure. I'm fairly certain I'll really enjoy it. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
Some books have a color. Dark Angel series has always been amber for me. That golden time of late afternoon when all colors seem richer, fuller and yet softer. A fantastic and yet realistic world in which vampires and gargoyles and magic creatures roam the landscape of the imagination.

I first read The Dark Angel when I was in Junior High, but it isn't really a young adult book. Except in that it is the story of becoming an adult. Becoming yourself.

Pierce has an uncanny way of weaving epic myth with believable people. Ariel perceives herself to be worth less than others. And because that is her perception, she is. Until she comes to the dark spaces in the vampires castle, high above the world. Until she wanders vasty plains. Until she comes to the mind blowingly cool end of the book.

Each book moves the reader deeper into that honey color.. However, the end of the third book is bittersweet. Like honeywine with a touch of almond on the rim, golden amber in the later afternoon sun. ( )
  crystalcarroll | Sep 2, 2012 |
I had an enjoyable afteroon reading this one at the beach. Aeriel is a slave/companion of a girl named Euodin. She's been bullied into helping her gather flowers for a wedding on the mountains. Eeodin doesn't take Aeriels concerns or the tales about a vampyre who kidnaps pretty girls seriously.When she's taken Aeriel is blamed and is told she'll be going back to the slave markets in a month.Seeing that no one else in the village is going to avenge her mistress she decides to kill the vampyre herself.I knew this was a book for me when the vampyre laughed in her face when she thinks she's being taken for a bride. She is too ugly for someone as hot as him!Aeriel is to be a servant for his thirteen wives who have become wraiths. The vampyre has sucked out their souls on his wedding night every year.This was a very entertaining tale that has a clever spin on the vampire bad boy. Will she be able to "change" him? ( )
  peptastic | Jun 1, 2012 |
To Joy, Carnell, and Dr. Green, this dream of the Moon
Aeriel rested the broad basket against her hip and adjusted her kirtle.
"Every creature within his borders is one of his people," Orroto-to said.

"He is your ruler, then," said Aeriel, but the dark woman shook her head.

"He does not rule us. No one can rule us. No one can rule anyone who does not first agree to the ruling." She smiled a trace at Aeriel and patted the little camp dog, which was whining for more tidbits. "One must rule oneself." ... "He is our warden and our guide," the chieftess told her, "and everyone is free."

p.156 Magic Carpet Editions 1998

The Darkangel, a vampire of astounding beauty and youth, can only summon his full power when he finds his 14th and final bride. But for Aeriel, whom he kidnaps to serve his brides, there is something about him--something beyond his obvious evil--that makes her want to save him rather than destroy him. The Darkangel--Pierce's first book, originally released in 1982--was an ALA Best Book for Young Adults, a New York Times Notable Children's Book, a Parent's Choice Award Superbook, and a Booklist Best Book of the Decade.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:40 -0400)

The servant girl Aeriel must choose between destroying her vampire master for his evil deeds or saving him for the sake of his beauty and the spark of goodness she has seen in him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,295,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible