The Darkangel (The Darkangel Trilogy) by…

The Darkangel (The Darkangel Trilogy) (original 1982; edition 2007)

by Meredith Ann Pierce

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:The Darkangel (The Darkangel Trilogy)
Authors:Meredith Ann Pierce
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2007), Paperback, 238 pages

The Darkangel by Meredith Ann Pierce (1982)

Treasure at the Heart of Tanglewood (ubcsfs)
    ubcsfs: For those who enjoyed the Darkangel series, Treasure at the Heart of the Tanglewood is a stand-alone novel by the same author that also features a female protagonist on a quest in a world alive with vivid colour and mysticality.
    The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle (inblackink)

I did not love this YA vampire romance in which a young girl magically redeems an evil guy who kidnaps her. It presaged many elements that I dislike from the contemporary paranormal romance / YA paranormal romance: Tremendous disparity in power between the love interests; his terrible treatment of her and many others; her redemption of him through the power of love. On the plus side, the goth prose was reminiscent of a darker Francesca Lia Block (block crossed with Tanith Lee, maybe?), and vastly more enjoyable than L.J. Smith (Vampire Diaries) or Stephenie Meyer (Twilight). ( )
  lquilter | Feb 16, 2015 |
[Re-read 2013]
Still gorgeous and haunting. It's interesting to recall how strongly this book made me *feel* as a young reader, when I see how sparse and poetic it is, and how much more... fairy-tale-ish and somewhat removed the voice is, especially compared to the current fashion for first-person in YA. But I did love it all over again, re-reading it for the first time in decades. ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
This is a fairytale in the truest sense of the word. However, it's main 'un'fairytale-like quality is that one of the two main characters is a vampire. The other is a girl who falls for him but don't make the mistake of thinking it's going to be an angsty teenage fantasy the likes of which Ms Meyer offers because it's not. You'll be disappointed if that's what you're after. The cover makes it look like any other ten-a-penny vampire fantasy but it couldn't be more different if it tried.

This was first published in 1982 and it feels a bit dated now. Not because of the writing style and definitely not because of the subject, but by association. Because other - more recent- novels in this genre are edgy and fasionable with urban settings and situations and they use language that you'll come across every day in life, Darkangel just seems to miss the mark if you're more used to the modern vampire romance.

It was republished in 2007, no doubt to soak up some of the popularity that vampire fiction has generated in recent years, and there's nothing wrong with that. Especially since Darkangel was actually a forerunner of all those other urban vamps. But it does tread a fine line. It's counting on the purchasers of Twilight and The Vampire Diaries and House of Night books to also show interest in this one and there's every chance they will, (afterall, I did), but I want to add a word of caution too...

It's not what we've come to expect from vamp literature. It's not worse though....it's just different. Go into it expecting a fairytale and enjoy the weirdness of it all and it's a good story. From what I hear it gets better in the next two books in the trilogy, but I can't comment on that because I haven't read those. Read it for what it is, a cutting edge (at the time) dark fairytale. Like all good fairytales it has a bit of spook in it and there's a couple of bits where it gets scary and you'll hope it turns out well but it's not 'edge of your seat' type stuff and neither is it a 'will they, won't they' romance, it's just not that kind of book. I don't have a mad hunger to find out what happens next, if I'm honest, so I'm still not sure if I'll try the follow on books but if you're in the mood for a nice traditional fairytale with a nice untraditonal vampire then this might be the book for you. ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 31, 2014 |
Unassuming slave Aeriel’s life changes forever when the feared vampiric darkangel takes her mistress to be his thirteenth bride. In an attempt to rescue her, Aeriel becomes the darkangel’s servant and finds herself drawn to his cruel yet vulnerable nature and his terrible history. When an opportunity arises for Aeriel to go on a quest that will stop the darkangel’s ascent to full power, she must choose between killing him or finding another way to save him.

THE DARKANGEL did YA vampire romance way before Twilight, and I have wanted to read it for a while. While it didn’t blow me away (I’m starting to suspect that classic YA paranormal romance is just never going to make it onto my favorites list), THE DARKANGEL was still a decent read that deserves to have an audience in today’s YA paranormal scene.

Past the beginning—in which I felt Aeriel was a bit too teary for me to like—THE DARKANGEL quickly became an enjoyable read. There was always something going on, something new in Pierce’s world to discover, something new revealed about the darkangel’s past. Pierce does little obvious world-building—as in, no paragraphs-long descriptions of what we need to know, no world-building heavy-handedly woven into dialogue or characterizations, as many world-building attempts are wont to go—but it’s not long before you get a lingering image of the unique world that Aeriel must navigate in order to defeat the darkangel: a place not of Earth yet tied to it, a place fraught with magical possibilities yet eerily hostile to them.

Some of the events that took place in the plot veered towards outrageousness, but then I compared this to other YA paranormal romances that have somehow achieved bestsellerdom and then I felt a lot better about Pierce’s authorial decisions. I don’t have a strong urge to read about what the darkangel and Aeriel get up to next—this series is a bit too paranormal romance-y to be my thing, despite its incorporation of mythology and magic—but then again, I’m not averse to it. If I come back to that rare mood of mine where I want to read YA paranormal romance, I know where I’m going. ( )
  stephxsu | Jan 5, 2014 |
Yeah the title sounds horrible but this is actually a pretty okay science fantasy novel for young people with the coming-of-age theme you'd expect from such a thing and has nothing to do with contemporary YA "supernatural romance" formula trash. Between the genre, occasionally adorably obscure vocabulary and mystical symbolism it felt a little like a lite version of Gene Wolfe every now and then. Nothing an adult reader particularly needs to rush to check out though. ( )
  jhudsui | Aug 29, 2013 |
To Joy, Carnell, and Dr. Green, this dream of the Moon
Aeriel rested the broad basket against her hip and adjusted her kirtle.
"Every creature within his borders is one of his people," Orroto-to said.

"He is your ruler, then," said Aeriel, but the dark woman shook her head.

"He does not rule us. No one can rule us. No one can rule anyone who does not first agree to the ruling." She smiled a trace at Aeriel and patted the little camp dog, which was whining for more tidbits. "One must rule oneself." ... "He is our warden and our guide," the chieftess told her, "and everyone is free."

p.156 Magic Carpet Editions 1998

The Darkangel, a vampire of astounding beauty and youth, can only summon his full power when he finds his 14th and final bride. But for Aeriel, whom he kidnaps to serve his brides, there is something about him--something beyond his obvious evil--that makes her want to save him rather than destroy him. The Darkangel--Pierce's first book, originally released in 1982--was an ALA Best Book for Young Adults, a New York Times Notable Children's Book, a Parent's Choice Award Superbook, and a Booklist Best Book of the Decade.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:40 -0400)

The servant girl Aeriel must choose between destroying her vampire master for his evil deeds or saving him for the sake of his beauty and the spark of goodness she has seen in him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,713,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible