Another Way Home: A Chicory Inn Novel - Book…

Another Way Home: A Chicory Inn Novel - Book 3

by Deborah Raney

Another Way Home by Deborah Raney is the third book in her Chicory Inn series. It can be read as a stand alone book but after reading this book, you'll definitely want to catch up on the first two books in this series!

I enjoyed reading Another Way Home. It took me a chapter or two before I truly got into the plot but once I did, I couldn't put the book down. The characters are realistic, well-developed and the story well written. All in all, a really good book! Infertility is such a painful and deep topic to discuss but Ms. Raney did a great job of addressing it in this book. My heart went out to Danae and Dallas. Their story and that of their family moved me and I laughed and cried with them the whole way through reading it.

I definitely recommend Another Way Home and now I am off to read the first two books in this series!

Thank you to Abingdon Press and Netgalley for a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  mrsrenee | Nov 19, 2015 |
A recent commenter on a FB page stated they were tired of reading books that were only about the chase — romances focused on the action leading up to happily-ever-after. She wanted to know were there any books featuring the rest of the story — doing life together. If you are like that commentator, someone who wants real life stories featuring couples facing life’s struggles and doing it God’s way, then be sure to check out Deborah Raney’s latest book in her Chicory Inn series, Another Way Home. This touching novel is a recommended read.

Danae and Dallas Brooks want children, but their quest is just not working out for them. It seems like everyone is having babies but them. As Danae faces frustrating and discouraging fertility treatments and Dallas buries the hurt from his own adoption story, they see their marriage deteriorating from stress. When God seems to be saying no, they face the task of remaining faithful and grateful.

Another Way Home again features the Whitman family — a large, close-knit and multi-generational family. This time the Whitman’s second daughter and husband are the focus of a story that is relevant for so many families today. Infertility is pain-filled, and no matter how supportive friends and family are, it is an incredibly lonely journey. Raney creates real and relatable characters in Danae and Dallas. She feels inadequate and empty; he worries he is not enough for her. Added to the infertility, is Dallas’ deeply buried scars from the rejection of his birth mother. But as Danae seeks to live a life marked with more gratitude than petitions (p 105), the Brooks marriage changes and strengthens. Danae realizes that God seemed to be assigning her exercises in generosity in an effort to teach her an attitude of gratitude (p 106). In a process that often is centered on the end results, Raney’s message is the gift of children. I loved that. There are lots of twists, turns and emotional highs and lows in Dallas and Danae’s story, but God proves Himself ever faithful. You are going to love the scene when Danae discovers the timing of God’s answer to her prayers.

Another Way Home is a wonderful book. I laughed and cried along with Danae and Dallas. And when the last page was turned, I was extremely satisfied. This one is another winner from Raney. I can’t wait for more from the Whitman family.

Recommended.

Audience: adults.

(Thanks to LitFuse and Abingdon for a review copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Nov 16, 2015 |
Title: Another Way Home (Chicory Inn #3)
Author: Deborah Raney
Pages: 304
Year: 2015
Publisher: Abingdon Press
My rating is 5+ stars.
We met the Whitman family in the first book of the series, Home to Chicory Lane, followed by Two Roads Home. In each story, we are given a bird’s-eye view into the various issues some of the grown Whitman children have faced along with how they interact and the running of the inn. Here, in the third book, the author tackles a couple of hard issues such as domestic abuse, infertility, adoption, marriage and faith. I was really grabbed by the heart when Danea continued to be disappointed about not getting pregnant even when spending so much money.
As God opens her eyes, she decides to volunteer at a home for domestically fractured families, meeting a woman named Misty. When Danea and her husband Dallas willingly take Misty’s son into their home over Thanksgiving, there comes a point when it becomes evident that Misty is in trouble. She doesn’t return as agreed and no one is able to contact her. The couple is facing challenging decisions as their hearts love Misty’s 3-year-old son, but she is now in legal trouble and facing a long separation from her son. However, there is also a secret Misty has kept from this couple that will require more wrestling with God and lots of prayer.
The Whitman characters are close to one another and stand with each other through the various seasons of life. I love how the grandparents are there as sounding boards or for counsel and most importantly as prayer warriors for the children’s families. The patriarch, Grant, wants to make sure that the family doesn’t lose its closeness so he has them over every Tuesday night for family nights. Rightly portrayed is how sometimes the families aren’t thrilled about coming over; yet, they learn the cost of coming over and being together is well worth the sacrifice each makes to be there every week.
I look forward to the fourth book coming out in 2016 and if it is the last one that will be hard as I have enjoyed the Whitman family a whole lot!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Nov 15, 2015 |
Another Way Home by Deborah Raney is the third book in A Chicory Inn Novel series. Danae and Dallas Brooks have been trying to have a baby for the last three years. They have tried everything except in vitro fertilization. It is beginning to take a toll on their marriage (and relationship with her sisters) as Danae is becoming obsessed. Danae gave up her part-time job. She now spends her time going to fertility treatments and redecorating their home. Dallas is against adoption. Danae as well as his brother, Drew have tried talking to him about it. Dallas was adopted and there was an incident when he was eighteen that has turned him against the idea of adopting a child of his own.

Danae knows that she needs something to occupy her time and decides to volunteer at a shelter for abused women. Danae meets Misty and Austin. Misty is in the shelter to get away from her abusive husband. She left her husband after he hit Austin, her three year old son. Danae grows close to Austin during his stay at the center. Dallas even volunteers at the center and gets to know the young boy. When they are asked to watch him over Thanksgiving weekend, the couple agree. Their lives will be forever changed after Thanksgiving. Will it be a good change for Danae and Dallas Brooks?

Another Way Home was an enjoyable book to read. It is a lovely, Christian novel. Another Way Home is well-written and engaging. Another Way Home can easily be read without having enjoyed the other two books in the series (though you will probably want to read them). Another Way Home shows how prayer and faith can affect your life. I give Another Way Home 4.25 out of 5 stars. There is some violence (domestic) in the book.

I received a complimentary copy of Another Way Home from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Oct 22, 2015 |

Sometimes God's way are not what we expect-- but are exactly what we need. Grant and Audrey's middle daughter, Danae, and her husband, Dallas Brooks, have been trying for years with no baby in sight. Though Danae is ready to consider adoption, Dallas will not even discuss it. Danae pours her passion and energies into volunteer work with a newly opened women's shelter in town. Heart-wrenching events on Thanksgiving weekend threaten to pull the entire Whitman clan into turmoil-- and leave them all forever changed.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,584,856 books! | Top bar: Always visible