More Sun Spots by Steve Baer

More Sun Spots

by Steve Baer

212,551,640 (3)None
Recently added bykarmiel

This a difficult book to rate fairly as I am marginally acquainted with the author but am unacquainted with the various technologies used in the field of solar energy. So, I provided a neutral rating. I read the first part because it includes familiar people and I read some of the more technical sections but found it to be a bit beyond my technical knowledge. The ideal audience for this book would be individuals familiar with solar power and who either also know Steve Baer and would enjoy hearing his unique voice or who would enjoy the discussion of the technical aspects of the historical and current field of solar energy. ( )
  karmiel | Aug 9, 2015 |

More Sun Spots is a collection of thoughts about solar energy written by a pioneer in the field, Steve Baer. Emphasizing the importance of using passive solar energy, the author discusses many of his ground-breaking inventions: solar water heaters, his zome home, cool cells, liquid piston engines, solar trackers, tracking shades, heliostats, the sun shelf, humidity chimney, and many other innovative concepts that are designed to reduce our dependence on electricity and fossil fuels. There are narratives about his contemporaries in the field: his hero Harold Hays, colleague Dennis Cofield, and architect William Mingenbach, among others. Several essays describe Baer's travels, and his response to such places as Machu Pichu and Pretoria, South Africa. Other chapters address his off the wall comments and unique ideas about our dependence on electricity. Baer's often outspoken view of the solar energy field is portrayed with fresh and surprising candor. His is the insider's view, and he tells it like it is with his biting wit, in essays such as "Solar Protocols", and "9-11 and Passive Solar".

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 31 Jul 2015 04:14:54 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible