The Good, the Bad, and the Undead by Kim…

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead

by Kim Harrison, Kim Harrison

Series: The Hollows (2)

Heat Stroke by Rachel Caine (Lman)
    Lman: These books have the same feel and humour, along with an innovative take on urban fantasy

Miles better than DWW! I enjoyed it very much.

I still don't like Nick, there's something off there.
I WANT to like Kalamack...
Al is hilarious.
Jenx is still my favorite.
Ivy, oh Ivy... ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Trent Kalamack is a great villian, completely bad and doing those bad things for all the right reasons.

Rachel's bravery is starting to grow on me, as is her reluctance to become involved with Ivy.

The world remains fascinating, and the tomato joke/threat will never get old. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Urban Fantasy of the Romance Genre - explains it all. It follows all the tropes: Kickass heroine, world full of supernatural creatures, pretty much everything you can think of is here. However, this is one of the better series. Witty repertoire, interesting plot, not too many plot holes, and a really interesting side kick. Its a fun read, but not very deep. Perfect for an afternoon read. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Aug 28, 2018 |
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead
3 Stars

The first book in the series was entertaining enough to continue on to the second, but Rachel and Ivy’s creepy relationship had me putting the book on the back burner halfway through. Nevertheless, a buddy read pulled me back into the story about a year later and I’m grateful to my buddies as the book improved a great deal in the second half.

Harrison’s world building is very engaging. The dichotomy between humans and supernaturals and the distinctions between the various species makes for interesting reading and raises intriguing questions for future installments.

The plot revolving around Rachel’s investigation into the disappearance and apparent deaths of several ley line witches develops slowly as new characters are introduced and the suspect pool expands. That said, the action heats up at the halfway mark and the climax and resolution are ultimately exciting and satisfying.

Rachel is an intelligent and resourceful heroine, but her relationship with Ivy is seriously disturbing. Although Rachel’s sympathy and loyalty toward Ivy is understandable, Ivy is constantly overstepping the boundaries ostensibly out of a desire to help, but its seems more like an attempt at seduction. Moreover, Ivy’s aggression and Rachel’s feelings of guilt and remorse reek of abuse and a form of battered wife syndrome. All of this has a rather distasteful feel to it and puts a damper on an otherwise compelling story.

Nick and Rachel’s romance is another problematic issue. Nick definitely has his own suspicious agenda and the developments in his characterization in this book do not bode well for the future nor do they endear him to me one iota. Hopefully, he is on his way out.

On a more positive note, the mystery of Trent and Rachel’s connection, as warped as it seems at the moment, is the most captivating aspect of this book (and the first). Trent is a fascinating character. The more I learn about his enigmatic identity and morally ambiguous business dealings, the more I want to know. Thus, getting to the roots of his contentious relationship with Rachel and discovering what lies ahead for them both is what keeps me interested in continuing with the series.

All in all, not a bad read despite its problems and the unanswered questions have me eager to read the next one. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
This book was great! The characters remain engaging, the plots moves quickly and very well, and the ending satisfies :) ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |

Kim Harrisonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harrison, Kimmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gavin, MargueriteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the man who know caffine comes first, chocolate comes second, romance comes third - and when they ought to be reversed
I hitched the canvas strap holding the watering canister higher up on my shoulder and stretched to get the nozzle into the hanging plant.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060572973, Mass Market Paperback)

It's a tough life for witch Rachel Morgan, sexy, independent bounty hunter, prowling the darkest shadows of downtown Cincinnati for criminal creatures of the night.

She can handle the leather-clad vamps and even tangle with a cunning demon or two. But a serial killer who feeds on the experts in the most dangerous kind of black magic is definitely pressing the limits.

Confronting an ancient, implacable evil is more than just child's play -- and this time, Rachel will be lucky to escape with her very soul.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

Sexy supernatural bounty hunter Rachel Morgan prowls the dark streets of downtown Cincinnati as she confronts her ultimate challenge, an ancient, invincible enemy--the vampire master--who is out to steal her very soul.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,400,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible