The Silvered Heart by Katherine Clements

The Silvered Heart

by Katherine Clements

1648, Katherine Ferrers is forced into a loveless marriage. Fate has other plans and when Katherine meets and falls for Rafe her life changes. Katherine becomes The Wicked Lady who rides out on the highway robbing travellers.

I was really looking forward to this book but have been left feeling disappointed. I thought it was going to be more about Katherine as The Wicked Lady than it was.

The first two hundred pages are about Katherine and her loveless marriage against the backdrop of the civil war and Oliver Cromwell. Then when she meets Rafe and becomes a highway robber. I would have liked more of the story to have been about Katherine and her life on the road and not a lot of this happens in the book either.

The author claims that there is very little about Katherine recorded down and her becoming a highway robber is a bit of a legend. This book is a work of fiction based on the legends.

The story is ok without expectations. I wanted more swashbuckling and highwaymen. This book did for me fail to deliver. The legend of Katherine is interesting and she comes across as a fascinating person but this yarn of a book does not do her legend justice. ( )
  tina1969 | Feb 6, 2018 |
I had high hopes for this novel based on the true story of a 17th-century noblewoman who was lured into a brief career as a highwayman, but it didn't quite live up to expectations. While beautifully written in sensuous, descriptive prose, the characterisation doesn't have the grit and density that I'd been hoping for given the potentially meaty subject. The emphasis is very much on the heroine's romantic entanglements and on the desire she stirs in others, and so it ended up being rather less of the exciting swashbuckler that I'd hoped for and closer to your standard kind of historical romance. Nevertheless, if you enjoy romance then you should keep an eye open for this: it offers a vivid picture of the ravaged aftermath of the Civil War, and its heroine must in reality have been a most extraordinary woman.

For my full review please see my blog:
http://theidlewoman.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/the-silvered-heart-katherine-clements... ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Oct 29, 2015 |

1648: Civil war is devastating England. The privileged world of Katherine Ferrers is crumbling under Cromwell's army and, as an orphaned heiress, she has no choice but to marry for the sake of family. But as her marriage turns into a prison and her fortune is forfeit, Katherine becomes increasingly desperate. So when she meets a man who shows her a way out, she seizes the chance. It is dangerous and brutal, and she knows if they're caught, there's only one way it can end.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,239,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible